Innovative plan to improve Don Mueang airport capacity

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Thai bashing, but, this is nothing new, hardly innovation.

They have been doing it for years at Dallas John Wayne Airport

But this is only a taxi way is'nt it ? Surely they could'nt actually land on this roadway. There is something similar at Heath Row, but not for landing.

The road next to Tengah Air Base in Singapore was built as an auxiliary runway, during exercises I have seen them close the road and land their F16s on there.

Thats actually not a fully loaded 747 is it. Think there might be a little difference in the weight.

I used to work at an airport and watched as they built a new runway. The depth of the runway bed was enormous in order to accommodate the weight of the aircraft. I wonder if the brilliant Thai engineers even considered whether the roadway would support the weight of a fully loaded aircraft smacking down onto the runway for a landing? Probably not.

Note to self: Avoid using Don Mueang airport at all costs. sad.png

I think it's a great idea! Still, need to remove those toll booths or things could get dicey! Perfectly located next to the airport and when the plane lands the taxis can pull up next to the plane and take the passengers to their hotels in double quick time. It makes me proud to live here. A land of pure genuis, why hasn't this idea been publicised on the Thai news. I've google translated and searched but nothing. This must be a scoop. Inside information, you hear it first on T.V. Well done guys, GCHQ and Langley will be proud of you. Here's my take on the idea. If you look at pictures of the down town tollway it could also be possible to create a runway there too. Just think how cool that would be. Watching a boeing a380 land as you exit nana plaza. Certainly, it would make me fall off my bar stool. Have a look. What do you think? Anything's possible.

post-221427-14595248679383_thumb.jpg

I used to work at an airport and watched as they built a new runway. The depth of the runway bed was enormous in order to accommodate the weight of the aircraft. I wonder if the brilliant Thai engineers even considered whether the roadway would support the weight of a fully loaded aircraft smacking down onto the runway for a landing? Probably not.

Note to self: Avoid using Don Mueang airport at all costs. sad.png

The motorways in the UK are designed to handle aircraft landing on them. This is done to overcome problems if an airport was attacked. Aircraft, mostly military ones, would be able to land and take off from motorways. An interesting little fact for you

Have same in SIngapore.

Not Thai bashing, but, this is nothing new, hardly innovation.

They have been doing it for years at Dallas John Wayne Airport

Many airports have bridges on taxiways, as at Leipzig/Halle Airport

Leipzig-Halle-airport-0%25255B2%25255D.j

or even runways like at Singapore Airport

104ludx.jpg

But none have runways that are elevated in their entirety, and the thought of using an existing elevated roadway—let alone a Thai-built one*—is simply ludicrous (hence the date of this story).

*Not Thai-bashing either, but Thai-built elevated roadways, or at least partially built ones, have been known to spontaneously fall to the ground...

Pretty sure that's not Singapore unless they've recently changed the side of the road they drive on.. maybe try this pic...

Changi-Airport-Airside-Southcross-Bridge

I wonder, about this idea of a runway on the elevated highway, especially after the collapse in India.

THese large jets weigh a lot and with them plunking down on a cement structure, is dangerous, and if the road way

collapses, the results would be a big disaster. Nice try! I do however prefer that my landings and

take offs are 100 percent successful, without worrying that my aircraft is going to become a ball of wreckage.

Just a thought.

Geezer

Archived