Innovative plan to improve Don Mueang airport capacity

webfact

Goerdie. ... John Wayne Airport is in Orange County CA, Dallas has DFW and Love Field. Yes the planes taxi over bridges at Dallas Fort Worth International. They don't land n them though.

Thanks for that, Marty.

You might have also pointed out that Americans drive on the RHS of the road.

I have this horrible image in my head now of tuk tuks driving the wrong way up the road, with the look of disbelief as a 737 travelling in the correct direction is head on.

It's an interesting idea (I don't know that area well), but hope their structural engineers are up to the task as it is begging for headline news disaster.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be interesting. There's no barrier in the universe powerful enough to stop Thai motorists breaking through, would be quaint to wave goodbye or hello to the family of six on a scooter right outside the window.

if you think about it, what kind of airport runway can be built on concrete pillars? The weight and speed of any commercial jet would smash the pillars to pieces in no time at all.

Plus how can an airport taxi off a slip road. Where is the gap in the buildings going to be so the wings don't smash into anything as it turns in.

Except of course if you're in Madeira ... where half the runway is indeed on 100-foot-high pillars ... strange but true !

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=madeira+airport+runway+photo&tbm=isch&imgil=Zq8uaqzQKlfPQM%253A%253BlfX1R-m9GlqSVM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fstructurae.net%25252Fstructures%25252Fmadeira-airport-runway-bridge&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Zq8uaqzQKlfPQM%253A%252ClfX1R-m9GlqSVM%252C_&usg=__OyLYwDenxpbx367FrKLqzkRDzWE%3D&biw=1366&bih=634&ved=0ahUKEwiOpfrZrOzLAhUJB44KHalQD5kQyjcILg&ei=Ftf9Vo7CLImOuASpob3ICQ#imgrc=8ToSB2dYjZwI-M%3A

News just to hand this plan had been canned in lieu of the University of Nakonowhere's Dept of Physics and Flux Capacitors announcement today that they had a perfected a matter transfer unit and that airports (and inter-city fast trains too) would be redundant with 5 years

Beam me up Somchai!

I used to work at an airport and watched as they built a new runway. The depth of the runway bed was enormous in order to accommodate the weight of the aircraft. I wonder if the brilliant Thai engineers even considered whether the roadway would support the weight of a fully loaded aircraft smacking down onto the runway for a landing? Probably not.

Note to self: Avoid using Don Mueang airport at all costs. sad.png

Exactly, I have taken note and will stay away from Don Mueang.

just saw a news report on tv.......to assist Thai International with its financial problems ...they are going to sell advertising space on the departure gate tarmac areas...........................

...........................so passengers have something to look at whilst waiting for the delayed planes due to the new air traffic control procedures.

I have it on good advice, this is just Phase One. Phase Two, will be underground parking for Thai Airlines only, using a combination of Chinese Aircraft Carrier technology and Thai Innovation. The Chinese Tech has to-do with how they move planes onto the launch platform for jets from underneath the carrier. While the Thai Innovation is foldable wings, which have already been land tested on an old 747 somewhere up north. Enabling it to get underground. This is according to the Aviation Progress and Research (A.P.R) wing along with sources from the Foundation of Object Orientation and Latitude (F.O.O.L). Sounds pretty impressive..

You won't be landing anything much bigger than a Piper Navajo or a Twin Otter on that elevated highway and I haven't seen many of those. Maybe the bright thinkers need to start figuring out how to add runways at Suvarnabhumi.

if you think about it, what kind of airport runway can be built on concrete pillars? The weight and speed of any commercial jet would smash the pillars to pieces in no time at all.

Plus how can an airport taxi off a slip road. Where is the gap in the buildings going to be so the wings don't smash into anything as it turns in.

Priceless response...!

Not really, a runway and a taxi way are completely different things. Sure you can drive a plane at slow speeds along an elevated road, but taking off and landings would not be able to be completed safely on a raised surface of any kind

This may have been on the cards for some time. Anyone who has driven up Viphavadi Rangsit underneath the tollway will have noticed the uneven road sinkage caused by the massive pile caps supporting the road above, much bigger than would normally be employed.

No, these must be for some other purpose.

Due to the use of modern materials such as kevlar, modern aircraft are actually extremely light.

How else do you think they get off the ground...?

Regardless of the weight of the aircraft it is the impact load at point of wheels making contact with the runway when landing and the sudden release of all the weight at point of wheels leaving the runway upon takeoff.

It takes Thais to come up with ridiculous ideas like this. Same as they have f@#$#$ up the Sky train - just take your time it will happen. And now it seems the Bangkok - Airport shuttle.

Priceless response...!

A lot of April fools this morning.....cheesy.gif

Not Thai bashing, but, this is nothing new, hardly innovation.

They have been doing it for years at Dallas John Wayne Airport

As a retired commercial pilot you nearly got me.

The photo shows the aircraft taxing on the runway over a vehicular tunnel underneath the runway. LAX also has such a setup at that point there is no sudden landing impact and takeoff release. And even if there was, it is a tunnel sitting in solid ground. No an elevated road in a SWAMP called Bangkok.

Archived