Bank Account Details

Are there any dangers in providing your Thai bank details to an online retailer ?

Tried to purchase a replacement part from a TV sponsor and he has refused to send me the part despite paying his quoted price via a bank transfer (no details available due to TV's name and shame policy)

He now want's my bank details to refund my transfer, obviously I am not particularly happy with this vendor so I am reluctant to trust him with those details

Do I have any other options other than to comply with his request ?

And if I do , is there anything else that he can do with the information I must provide ?

If you want him to accomplish the refund he will need your Thai bank name, account number, and name on account...branch name can come in handy also. So, so many things are paid for via transfers from bank accounts and refunds need to happen the same way. They can't pull funds with the account info; only send to it.

Most Thai businesses print their bank account details at the bottom of their invoices to facilitate payment by electronic transfer. Just because someone has your account number doesn't mean they can make withdrawals.

With just your name and account number there's not much he could do. He would need other items/documents/details to do any damage.

People exchange bank details all the time so payments can be made to and fro between them. Anyone with your bank details can pay into it. But taking money out in any form has far more controls. If you think about your online banking or any other banking transactions you do there are usually additional controls in place whenever money goes out. eg login ID, password, 2FA for internet banking; ID card/passporrt etc for over the counter

If you want him to transfer your money back to you, giving him your bank details is the easiest way. Otherwise how will he pay you back? You could request a cheque or cash, but they in turn bring other issues with them.

It's a fair enough request on his part for your full name and bank account so he can transfer back to you. No more than that is needed though. So don't give DOB, passport, user ID, any passwords, pin numbers etc etc just those two pieces of info

Edited by fletchsmile

Account Name

Account number

Bank

Branch.

Is all that's needed, he/they cant do any damage with just that info, accept pay in and is a very common occurrence these days especially in Thailand.

(as described above)

Thanks to all who responded with sage advice

Have provided vendor with bank details and have received refund

My concern was that in order to buy from his site I had to register, and the registration process gives him a lot more personal information than just name, bank, and account number

Identity theft is / was my major fear

As an aside, I am starting to surmise that he refused to accept my order even after payment because his staff low balled the quoted price of the part, I have since ordered it from a different vendor at a much higher price