Implications of Shutdown of 2G Service ?

allane

Lots of notices on Thai TV channels, and now discussion in the English newspapers. Can anyone give an explanation, in plain English, of what, if anything it means for the ordinary person ? I am an AIS customer, and have a dumbphone.

I havenot heard anything or read anything I must read the wrong papers.But yesterday I got a message from AIS on my phone.Telling "Hurry up your number will be terminated soon and you cannot make or recieve calls and surf the internet.Get free handset delivery to your door just call1175.

The wife told me TRUE is giving away free smartphone if I buy 500 baht of time and sign up with TRUE.So tried to contact AIS to see if they will terminate my number. If are going to do that I will go TRUE.We could not get past automatic talking machines.

If this is real I will go to 7/11 today and change to TRUE

I have has this account and number over 5 years if they want to close it they lose me as a customer and my whole family.we will al go TRUE

Edited by lovelomsak

Don't panic.

At first check whether your "dumphone" is still on 2G.

The code to check your own number is:

*545#

If it shows "AIS 3G One-2-Call" then you have already been moved to 3G.

(my SIM is from 2009, the move had been done long ago, sometime last year).

If you are still on 2G visit an AIS service center and ask for an offer.

They have cheap (xxx Baht) phones (plus some credit if I am correct).

If the response to the above code is in Thai, use this to permanently switch to English response:

*700*5*1# (takes a while)

AND:

obviously the termination has still not taken place.

Postponed again?

The senseless bidders ("JAS") failed to pay their installment.

Even the Chinese didn't throw that much money after them.

Next bidding round for the highly popular 900 MHz is on June 21 (?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Wife just came home with new smart phone from TRUE. She bought 1000 baht of time got free phone.The phone has TRUE written on it so I quess can only use with TRUE.But got same number as her AIS. I will use up my time on my sim card with AIS and go get a new free smartphone too.I didnot like the AIS marketing so they lost me.

Thanks, Khun BENQ. I just checked my phone; I have either been on 3G all along, or have been switched over at some point. And, thank you too for the code to switch SMS messages to English. I have just entered it, it took effect after two or three minutes.

Edited by allane

If the response to the above code is in Thai, use this to permanently switch to English response:

Yes. Thanks for that. Didn't even realize that was an option.

re: 3G

Since I already had a smartphone but was apparently still using 2G, AIS notified me late last year with a phone call that I needed to visit one of their service centers. They gave me a new SIM card for free while keeping my same phone number. All good now.

Try these two codes... *161# (Registration) and *987# (Checking for 3G and/or 4G)

I got this 3G basic phone in only two weeks and it was made in Finland not China! It looks brand new!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141925451621?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441059933627&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by johnh869

I received a text from AIS that my dumb phone wasn't compatible with 3G and they were shutting down 2G. They told me to visit an AIS shop. So I did and they gave me a POS Chinese so-called smart phone. It lasted about 2 days and went dead, never to be revived again. I wasn't surprised. I have since went out and purchased a Samsung dumb phone compatible with 3G

Yes. Thanks for that. Didn't even realize that was an option.

re: 3G

Since I already had a smartphone but was apparently still using 2G, AIS notified me late last year with a phone call that I needed to visit one of their service centers. They gave me a new SIM card for free while keeping my same phone number. All good now.

Don't panic.

*545#

AND:

Postponed again?

Sir very useful information, wish i saw it last week though.

I kept getting messages from AIS about 2g/3g so i asked my wife go to AIS shop and get my phone checked.

No they said this phone no good, have to get new phone.

Wife tells them phone and number only 16 months old, no good was the reply, have to buy new phone.

So wife buys new phone for me, want to keep the same number, no cannot have to get new.

Last night i saw your post used it to check my old phone, guess what it is already upgraded.

So now i have 2 phones 2 numbers.

Never trust staff at AIS they just lie to people so they buy new phones.

Try these two codes... *161# (Registration) and *987# (Checking for 3G and/or 4G)

I got this 3G basic phone in only two weeks and it was made in Finland not China! It looks brand new!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141925451621?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441059933627&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thx for the codes.

The 161 gives me a reply in Thai (always and only). Sounds like I should visit a shop.

(my SIM IS registered)

*987# tests whether your device/SIM are 4G capable. Mine is not.

made in Finland not China! It looks brand new!

EDIT: deleted.

Just seen that it is a refurbished model from Nokia (which does not do smartphones anymore, all sold to Microsoft).

AND it's definitely refurbished in China (shipped from China).

I am too lazy to find out whether it was Made in Finland some time ago.

Today you will have a hard time to find any smartphone NOT Made in China.

All Apple and Samsung stuff Made in China e.g.

Edited by KhunBENQ

AIS 2G ceases on 12 or 13th THIS MONTH APRIL.

Check if your phone is suitable for 3G and preferably 4G too.

Don't know where you live but I live outside of Khon Kaen. Went to AIS in Central Plaza, 2 assistants spoke excellent English ( not the sales people though ! ).

They advised me of the offers they have including "dumbphones" by that I mean keypad phones.

They also advised that THEY could use the same phone number and transfer my data - messages / stored messages / phone numbers on to my new phone.

Personally I wouldn't try to do it over the phone, even if I knew my phone was 3G. Perhaps that is my age showing !

I have 2 phones, like you "dumbphones", one from England one from Thailand both only support 2G.

Still considering if I need a Smartphone or to buy a cheapy like I have now and see whats available when new models come on stream this month.

Be careful of offers - AIS or others - of phones for 100 Baht, even if you don't buy a package you normally have to buy a starting "Top-Up" of around 700 Baht.

AGAIN YOU HAVE UNTIL 12th OR 13th APRIL ONLY

Good hunting

What will happen is that any function that, once 2G is removed, requires it will not function. AIS have give out new SIM cards I received mine a few months ago. I would suggest that you contact AIS and ask them if you will need a new SIM card and if they are providing it to you. If you pay monthly then they should have notified you to collect your new SIM card

Don't panic.

*545#

AND:

Postponed again?

Thank you from me too.

I had an oldish Nokia. AIS message (English) told me I would be cutoff 2G and to visit AIS Centre.

Wife went and was 'sold' a LAVA smartphone (Android) for ThB 1600 but with 1100 baht credit on the new SIM. The phone is CRAP especially the display screen so I have reverted to a four year old SAMSUNG smart phone which is superior in all respects but had to buy a new SIM because my old number is transferred to the LAVA which has a specially made for AIS mini-SIM which wont fit other phones!. The LAVA has been put to one side for International family calls to use up the credit them into the reject drawer!

I don't like 'smart' phones because the screen is impossible to read in ambient Thailand light so can't make a call or answer properly without sticking my head in a cardboard box or running into a store.

I went to AIS with my wifes very old 2G Nokia dumbphone and asked when it would be cutoff. No problem said the 'pretty' and with a few keystrokes converted the 1 to Call SIM to 3G compatibilty for free. Amazing Thailand!

Thx for the codes.

The 161 gives me a reply in Thai (always and only). Sounds like I should visit a shop.

(my SIM IS registered)

*987# tests whether your device/SIM are 4G capable. Mine is not.

made in Finland not China! It looks brand new!

EDIT: deleted.

Just seen that it is a refurbished model from Nokia (which does not do smartphones anymore, all sold to Microsoft).

AND it's definitely refurbished in China (shipped from China).

I am too lazy to find out whether it was Made in Finland some time ago.

Today you will have a hard time to find any smartphone NOT Made in China.

All Apple and Samsung stuff Made in China e.g.

I know it's refurbished but it sure looks like it was made in Finland (has Finland ID's and stickers) and not China. The battery (BL-5C) is from Hungary. So who knows? I'm happy! By the way, the phone color is of light gold not like the photo. Very nice looking! Can get it in black as well and it only took two weeks from the day I ordered it to arrive at my home in Sattahip. Battery level hasn't moved in two days! Great seller service with a tracking number from Singapore Post.

Edited by johnh869

Old 2G only technology phones will stop working as the network will be switched off, you need to migrate to the later technology.

If you still have an old 2G SIM card it will be switched off, the network operator will likely have warned you of this.

Get off your ass and get a new SIM, it is free. AIS will even swap your phone for free.

Edited by jacko45k

Don't panic.

*545#

AND:

Postponed again?

Much appreciated...thank you.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the authority's are forcing the networks to stop their 2g network rather than find them suitable new bandwidth to use 3-4g on. Most if not all countries still run 2g. My mum in the UK is still using a Nokia 3310 I bought her 15 years ago!

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the authority's are forcing the networks to stop their 2g network rather than find them suitable new bandwidth to use 3-4g on. Most if not all countries still run 2g. My mum in the UK is still using a Nokia 3310 I bought her 15 years ago!

Its called forced consumer spending.

Just got ( 11 April ) my 3G Sim from AIS ( Central Khon Kaen ) and keypad cheepo phone ( suits me ) for 100 Baht. For some reason I had to give them my old phone. I had 2 phones a Thai Samsung ( 2009 ) and and old UK Samsung ( 2004 ). My AIS SIM was in the old UK phone, although 2G if I had known before hand about having to give up my old phone I would have put the SIM in the Thai Samsung. Although both old phones were 2G the English one would have been useful.- even to give away. Be warned AIS will / may ask for your old phone ( have had their top up service SIM for about 5 years ) - make sure you check they have - as promised - removed all files etc from your old phone. They do transfer to the new one. I was also told I need to top up 1,000 baht to get the phone for free - I didn't - total outlay was 100 baht. The cheepo Lava W3 keypad phone does not seem to have "text prediction" ( gives possible words on the alphabet keys pushed ) like my old UK phone not sure if this is the model of phone or that the 100 baht cheapy is made in China.

• 4 months later...

I am confused.

I have an old Nokia 100 and I would prefer not to change it.  It is suitable for my working environment in that it has the worlds loudest ring tone, excellent battery life, good reception and is near indestructible.

The network is AIS and I am a post pay customer.  When I do *545# it tells me that I am on AIS 3G serenade.

Can I therefore simply ignore the never ending AIS SMS messages in Thai about migrating to 3G/4G?

I think *700*5*1# only works on AIS prepay as I cannot change AIS' messages to English.

For reasons unknown to me some time ago AIS sent me a free Samsung SM-B109H which is a 3G dumb phone.  My wife may have had something to do with this.  The phone sits unused in the box.  Together with the phone is a new SIM card but I have no idea if it has my number on it which I would prefer to keep as I have used the same number for 15 years.

If I have to I will use the Samsung but the ring tone pales in comparison to the Nokia 100 and the software is not very intuitive.  I don't need the web or GPS or other stuff beyond calls and SMS.

Any ideas appreciated.

I think AIS is using some (5 MHz) of their recently acquired 900 MHz (10 MHz in total) spectrum via JAS's failure, and using it to service 2G customers. My guess is that is what you are currently using? Not sure how long they will keep this service in place before re-farming all to 4G? Or how long your Nokia 100 will last?

You could use your existing SIM in the Samsung SM-B109H, or if the SIMs are different sizes, simply ask AIS to re-map your existing telephone number to the new SIM.

You may be able to find 3rd party ringtones which will blow out the speaker if need be.