Phuket airport retailers forced to drop prices

rooster59

Phuket airport retailers forced to drop prices

Sukawin Tanthavanich

post-247607-0-05145900-1459582844_thumb.

Retailers at Phuket International Airport have dropped the price of bottled still water by 75 per cent following traveller complaints. Photo: Sukawin Tanthavanich

PHUKET: Phuket International Airport has slashed the cost of a drinking water on sale inside its terminals by 75 per cent and has launched new budget menus to appease hungry travellers on a budget.

Under pressure from irate tourists complaining on social media about the high costs of food and drink inside the airport, the Ministry of Commerce ordered the Airports Authority of Thailand (AoT) to reduce the price of still water and offer cheaper food options at Phuket’s international airport.

“Retailers at Phuket airport dropped the price of a 600ml bottle of still water from 40 baht to 10 baht on March 25,” said Phuket airport director Thanee Chuangchoo.

They have also introduced 500ml bottles of water at the same price, he added.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-airport-retailers-forced-drop-prices/63596?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-02

Spare me days - have these "kini cow" (tight arsed) Farang never bought water at a western airport. 40 Baht (Aud $1.60 in as against $4.00) 200 Baht in any Australian Airport:- Note just using Australia as an example!

Spare me days - have these "kini cow" (tight arsed) Farang never bought water at a western airport. 40 Baht (Aud $1.60 in as against $4.00) 200 Baht in any Australian Airport:- Note just using Australia as an example!

last time i used both phuket airport, singapore and a western one i ended up not buying anything but a 120b mini ice cream from DQ which was the cheapest thing available besides 85-100b water.

for the price of that icecream i got a burger set at BK in singapore and i got a very large sandwich back home

nothing to do with kii niao(which coincidentally makes me think you've never been in thailand for more than 5mins by the horrible pronunciation you just tried to pull).

During those times i was earning 350 000b per month, so if i didnt feel good about buying anything from phuket airport(ice cream was because i was starving), there's definitely something wrong with the airport.

Minimum salary in AUS is almost 600b per hour, higher than most western countries. 4aud = 108b. minimum salary in thailand is 300b per day so less than 30b per hour. at 30b per hour it takes almost 3 hrs to afford a water while in aus for uneducated locals it takes 10mins.

For me it's not about being kii niao. For me it's about being ripped off. I would never even consider buying anything from any airport shop anywhere in the world.

Longer haul I travel business class and use the private lounges. Sure, much more expensive than buying water from an airport shop. So cheap charlie does not come into the equation.

Edited by LivinginKata

Don Muang Int. DQ cheese dog and Coke, a deal at 119 Baht.

Well there's a nice balanced nutritious meal.

Correct. I had not eaten all day, and that was my best and only option at the time. .

Don Muang Int. DQ cheese dog and Coke, a deal at 119 Baht.

Well there's a nice balanced nutritious meal.

Correct. I had not eaten all day, and that was my best and only option at the time. .

im sure there was a "reasonable" 399b khaopatgai somewhere cheesy.gif

I don't know where he gets 20% more expensive from. 20% would still be reasonable. 50% to 100% is not acceptable though and like others on here it's not the cost itself but the principle.

Yup, when I saw that 20% claim, I laughed. Surely lowering the price of water from 40Bt to 10Bt just proves that the 20% claim is BS.

I bought a bag of sweets for 100Bt at the airport that costs 35Bt in 711.

aaah, but this isn't the West.

and most of us came here because Thailand is different from the West.

even the most classy Thai golf courses only charge 20 baht for a bottle.

anyone enjoying buying 0.5 l of water for 40 baht can buy it in a Western country.

I think any effort preventing Thailand from becoming more Western is laudable.

Is it a farang only Airport now

Try finding a bottle of water in Central World....good luck.

you can have one for 10-20b in the food hall, mcdonalds, subway, the drink stands and the grocery store

Phuket forum, please stay out

Edited by bearpolar

you can have one for 10-20b in the food hall, mcdonalds, subway, the drink stands and the grocery store

Whats that all about BP?

It's a phuket forum, we always have lunatics that have never set foot here spamming nonsense.

Half the posts in controversial topics are from people who've never even set foot in Thailand(unless thaifriendly is considered thailand)

remember the tourist fined for ludity @ saphan in? The most active poster was a semi disabled guy in malaysia that had never seen anything but patong 10+ years ago, very similar to bodybuilding.com forums.. the biggest idiots on there are usualy found to be guys who have never worked out ever. One of the biggest annoying troll on that forum was a quadriplegic who ended up being a pedophile, an other one of the most known troll was a 500lbs guy living in his mom's basement.

Edited by bearpolar

The farang-centric comments ignore the fact that the number of Thais and Chinese, not to mention other Asians, far outnumber the number of Westerners passing through the airport.

Nowhere in the article does it state that the complaints were from Westerners.

I suspect some people live in a rather self-centred and small bubble.

Whats that all about BP?

It's a phuket forum, we always have lunatics that have never set foot here spamming nonsense.

Half the posts in controversial topics are from people who've never even set foot in Thailand(unless thaifriendly is considered thailand)

remember the tourist fined for ludity @ saphan in? The most active poster was a semi disabled guy in malaysia that had never seen anything but patong 10+ years ago, very similar to bodybuilding.com forums.. the biggest idiots on there are usualy found to be guys who have never worked out ever. One of the biggest annoying troll on that forum was a quadriplegic who ended up being a pedophile, an other one of the most known troll was a 500lbs guy living in his mom's basement.

The topic is about water being cheap for shoppers/travellers. Would be nice to have some water while shopping in Central World, i won't go to the 7th floor for that though.

And i've been in Phuket plenty of times, enough to never go back there because of all the scams.If you like ladyboys Phuket is the place to be.

In my opinion it's all about costs: AC hall, shop rent, lighting, fridges and coolers, employee. You have to sell a many bottled water bottles a day to cover that cost. Therefore 20-30 THB is reasonable. And it's a service and business. No profit = no shop = no service. 40THB is at least 25% to 40% too high agreed.

The topic is about water being cheap for shoppers/travellers. Would be nice to have some water while shopping in Central World, i won't go to the 7th floor for that though.

And i've been in Phuket plenty of times, enough to never go back there because of all the scams.If you like ladyboys Phuket is the place to be.

Insulting tone about ladyboy, then admiting you came here for that?

Nobody cares about your inability to find water in a shopping mall, everybody else is able to find water. Nothing to do with Phuket airport prices.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

Firstly, you won't be missed and secondly, thanks for your small part in reducing the amount of rubberneckenpeepenlookers coming to Phuket. It's just what Phuket needs.

PS. Don't worry, I'm sure you can indulge your tastes at Nana Plaza in Bangkok. I'm told there are heaps of them there.

Again, thankyou.

Edited by KarenBravo

Firstly, you won't be missed and secondly, thanks for your small part in reducing the amount of rubberneckenpeepenlookers coming to Phuket. It's just what Phuket needs.

PS. Don't worry, I'm sure you can indulge your tastes at Nana Plaza in Bangkok. I'm told there are heaps of them there.

Again, thankyou.

Is this the new Thai Visa then?

The exclusive Only if you live in Pooket club.

I lived on Pooket for 12 years but moved to a much nicer part of Thailand 4 years ago.

So does this mean I am not welcome to contribute in this forum anymore?

High prices for water reflect a) gouging due to a captive audience B) no competition (can't bring water in from outside) c) limited number of outlets selling who can and presumably do, collude on price (I don't think this is illegal in Thailand) d) high rents extracted by the airport itself. I buy the stuff anyway if I am hungry or thirsty.

However I cannot remember the last time I bought anything from a duty free shop in any airport. They are never as cheap as the prices on the high street of the country you are in.

Indeed the whole phenomenon of duty free shops amazes me….other than the booze shops and sometimes the electronic/camera shops, there are never any customers in the other overpriced brand name shops…in my 30 years of hard traveling I don't believe I have ever seen anyone buying that 5 million baht Rolex or that 2 million baht Hermes scarf…one wonders at the marvel of economics that these shops can afford to keep paying the (presumably) extortionate rents without making any slaes.

On the up side-----isn't it refreshing that not only is social media read but acted upon here.....where else would they do that, people have complained about London airport prices since I took my first trip in the 50s.....nothing changes .

London Airport----This guy & his wife checked in early so thought they would grab a breakfast, put it on the tray & he decided he would also take a doughnut for each of them as well. When he got to the cashier he said, I'm ever so sorry I have only got a £50 pound note----she said that's OK love.....just put the doughnuts back.

Again, thankyou.

How long have you lived in Phuket?