Physical Brawl in South Pattaya Parking Lot

webfact

Physical Brawl in South Pattaya Parking Lot

%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%

PATTAYA: -- A Russian family got into an physical altercation with parking lot attendants.

At 11 pm, April 2nd, a Russian family came to park their car behind the parking lot of the hotel CK Pattaya, on Second Road, when they got into an altercation with the parking lot attendant.

The 52 year old Russian man, Mr. Andy, explained that he and his family had parked his car there many times before and he was charged 60 baht for it. But on this night, the staff raised the parking price to 100 baht.

Not happy about the raised parking price, an argument occurred, which escalated to a physical altercation between the whole family and the parking attendants. The wife of the Russian man was terrified and ran to the police stand located at the traffic lights on Wat Chaimongkol, South Pattaya to report the incident.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/crime/222545/physical-brawl-south-pattaya-parking-lot/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-04-04

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we have a parking attendant assaulting an elderly man not very long ago somewhere between Buakhao and second road?

Presuming 100 baht (which strikes me as a bit high for an unsecured car-park) was a posted price and not just the guy trying to supplement his income, the choice is take it or leave it. I suppose the Thai guy works there early on before his late job of security at a disco or nightclub?

In many countries tourists are treated with a degree of respect and offered all assistance, Thailand seems to abuse them.

Edited by jacko45k

...the brave Pattaya police immediately rushed to the scene of the crime and started it's well rehearsed role of mediation, arbitration and adjudication. Due to the police's skillful negotiations with both parties, a solution to raise the parking fee to only 80 baht was soon agreed upon. The Russian family was happy to be overcharged by only 20 baht, while the parking lot attendants were happy to share their extra earnings with our savvy police force and TAT was happy, because Thailand's image was focused with good exposure and it's face still had it's make-up on.

Russians fighting over a few baht.....and here I thought they saved their energy for pushing to the front of the line at the Central Festival Food Court line....?

Maybe they have been here too long and it was the loss of face rather than the baht that offended them.

Come on - its fairly easy to make an assumption of what happened here...

(Read 'assumption' - because I really have no idea what happened, but having faced similar situations numerous times I can make a guess)

The Parking Lot has 'acquired' an attendant - someone who's taken it upon himself to charge those parking. He's been doing it for so long that its become the norm, his sense of entitlement kicks in, its become the norm for him, the norm of the owners of the parking lot, the norm for those parking there.....

This sense of entitlement increases, the parking attendant feels he deserves more for his hard work and decides to increase prices.

Most people probably pay the increase to avoid confrontation and / or to avoid damage to their car while they are away.

The parking attendants sense of entitlement is thus vindicated... Until someone objects and he gets upset because someones 'called him out'... of course, lacking the emotional tools to handle this, he becomes aggressive / violent.

Now: I'm not saying that this has happened but I've seen this very example happen many times. I've seen tires slashed (a girl who refused to pay the 'parking attendant on the street').... its extortion, you are not paying to park, you are paying not to have your car damaged.

I've seen how my FIL handles it, he pays the going rate (in BKK its 20 baht), if the Parking attendant complains he tells the attendant that in no uncertain terms he'll have him (my FIL) to deal with should anything happen to the car (it works better when its a Merc with 4 repeated numbers !).

From what I've noticed - the car parks in the day time are marked with signs etc... there is no ambiguity - Its at night time when the 'chancers' come out. Its like begging, under the premise of protecting your car, but the sense of entitlement kicks in and these parking guys start to believe its their right to receive payment for someone else parking on someone else's land, or the side of the road on 'their patch'.....

Unfortunately its the 'way it is' because not enough people do anything about its... path of least resistance is often followed which involves paying 20 baht - however, when the 'increase' kicks in, people will start to complain and we will see more of this.

It now seems the Norm in Pattaya is 60 baht... and its being pushed up to 100 Baht.

Well... Either all of the above - OR it was an Official / Real Car park and the Russian was simply objecting to the increase.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a removed post removed

One of the first things I learned after arriving Thailand was to never upset a parking attendant, especially the "unofficial" ones. A few scratches on your car could cost you thousands of Baht to fix. Pay the requested fee or go elsewhere.

Ripping your tourists off again

Assaulting your tourists again how nice. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

The story doesn't say who assaulted who.

Thank you for pointing that out maoro. It's refreshing to see that there are still a few people around who believe in presumption of innocence.

You do realize, of course, that you are making this sensible remark of yours on a Forum where a large majority of posters are Western expats who are so busy hating Thai people, Thai customs, Thai ways and Thai just-about-everything (with the notable exception of sex) that they can't possibly find the time to think for one minute that perhaps, just perhaps, the 100 baht charge was normal and theThai guy was not the one who started the violence.

I have personnally, and so often, seen Western expats barking insults at Thai people and assuming that they are all a bunch of idiots that I have this nagging feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, this Russian family are not exactly polite, educated, and respectful of the country they live in (or visit).

Edited by Yann55

As a tourist in Russia, they will happily rip you off as well ... just saying at least in Thailand being rip off is cheaper - incidents like this are not worth the fight. If you don't agree, than go park somewhere else. Life and injuries isn't worth the 40 baht difference.

Every time I see when of these stories I wonder if they are living (and probably working ) here legally. Obviously they are not tourists.

And why do you do that? Is it any of your business? Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Why? Because him have balls and not pay? All the idiots who run away or pay are the troublemakers for farangs because a Thai learn fast to charge more and more and more .....!!!

I have honest respect for the Russian family. Much more than for the courageous TV members who would pay the higher price or run away cowardly.

It is your blame that the Thais trying to rip us off.

And I is not about the money but to stand for your rights!!!

Edited by Rimmer