Wrong way! Car stuck after driver follows GPS down Nonthaburi footbridge

webfact

Wrong way! Car stuck after driver follows GPS down Nonthaburi footbridge
Kwaang Siripoom

b1.jpg

NONTHABURI:-- Some people are far too trusting of gadgets and this was especially true on Saturday when a driver got their vehicle stuck on a footbridge in Nonthaburi.

The picture of the car perched precariously on the narrow bridge was widely shared on social media.

Locals reported that a Toyota people carrier had been abandoned on the bridge over the Klong Phra-u-dom canal in Nonthaburi.

The abandoned vehicle left locals wondering why anyone in their right mind would attempt to drive a car down a bridge that is only just suitable for use by motorbikes.

Mr. Vichit Kingsodsee, 52, a local who uses the bridge every morning to go to work told reporters he was a little shocked when he saw the car on the bridge. “Even when using a bike it is sometimes difficult to cross if there is a bike coming in the opposite direction”, Mr Vichit said.

Mr Vichit said he found the vehicle on the bridge but there was no sign of the driver.

b2.jpg
Image: Khaosod

The car was eventually removed by a rescue team who used a crane to free the vehicle on Sunday.

However, the identity of the driver remains unknown.

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-04

Oh well, considering que quality of the maps in most GPS devices and smartphone applications in Thailand, such is bound to happen.

OTOH, even in the western world of perfect maps, who has never ended on a dirt road, in a dead end or stuck at 20 kph going over bumper after bumper in a residential area while blindly following his GPS? certainly not me.

Can't find the driver? Consider the loss of face. LOL

I've been embarrassed before but come on, you'd rather lose your vehicle because you were stupid enough to drive your car across a path barely wide enough for a buffalo?

I'd say, just get used to the laughter from the locals and get your vehicle towed out of there, then have a few drinks with your mates who will make fun of your stupidity. Learn to laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself too seriously. We all make mistakes.

Oh well, considering que quality of the maps in most GPS devices and smartphone applications in Thailand, such is bound to happen.

OTOH, even in the western world of perfect maps, who has never ended on a dirt road, in a dead end or stuck at 20 kph going over bumper after bumper in a residential area while blindly following his GPS? certainly not me.

Me.. as I am quite bad with roads so i trust the GPS. Though I would not go upon a bridge like that. But I have had a GPS send me the wrong way. In general they are great to have here in Thailand. I got one on my motorbike and one in the car.

Driving motorbike i got lost in the slums around the new railway station in Chatuchak. I decided to follow some scooters to get out of there.

Then they drove into alleys and i picked one to follow.

The alleys became more narrow all the time and suddenly the scooter disappeared. I was deep in the slums. So deep that i couldn't even drive further anymore, my steer was touching walls on both sides and i had to push/walk the bike back in reverse while all locals were hanging out of their slumhouse windows looking at me.

After pushing the bike back for 5-10 minutes (while sitting on it, that narrow it was) i could finally turn it and drive away. Lesson learned gigglem.gif

Can't find the driver? Consider the loss of face. LOL

I've been embarrassed before but come on, you'd rather lose your vehicle because you were stupid enough to drive your car across a path barely wide enough for a buffalo?

I'd say, just get used to the laughter from the locals and get your vehicle towed out of there, then have a few drinks with your mates who will make fun of your stupidity. Learn to laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself too seriously. We all make mistakes.

Yes, I would rather suffer the ridicule of my friends, rather than run away.

True story...

My wife and I recently visited Philadelphia in the US, and we spent an afternoon walking around center city, with a little help from Google maps, set to "walking" mode on my smartphone.

Later we got in our car and I used Google maps again to navigate to an Asian food store 10 miles away.

What a crazy route! I was yelling at my phone, and cursing that stupid application.

Yeah, driving while in "walking" mode is not recommended.

It reminds of the time I was driving a long left hand curve on the edge of a steep cliff face; and the whole time the GPS was telling me to bear right.

I suspect that is because in the past you have slapped the gps, it was simply trying to get back at you biggrin.png

It reminds of the time I was driving a long left hand curve on the edge of a steep cliff face; and the whole time the GPS was telling me to bear right.

I suspect that is because in the past you have slapped the gps, it was simply trying to get back at you biggrin.png

We were driving in our car, using the GPS, but I ignored it at one point and took an alternate (better, dammit) route, all the while muttering at the GPS.

A bit later I said, " I haven't heard the GPS in a while , have you?"

My wife replied, "She doesn't like you anymore."

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Ending up in that precarious position has to either involve a special kind of stupid or an extreme level of drink.....

.... I prefer to believe its drink, which is frightening enough, but to think that people this stupid are driving around is frightening....

.... I was once asked... "remember the really dumb kids at School, doesn't it worry you that they are now driving around?"

If they can't find the driver, how do they know he was following GPS ? Could just as easily been blind drunk...

If he was drunk and stepped out the drivers door.........have they looked in the canal yet............?

I wouldnt say they were too trusting I would call them too stupid. Just because a GPS tells you to go a certain way, you can see it is an unsuitable path so you dont go. Maybe this driver was blind and thought he was on the motorway

Remember a customer last year going into detail on how to find her house, commenting I knew exactly where it was I was asked why, "well my SatNav always takes me that way"...

It was a good short cut to the motorway but local residents do not like the increased traffic so last week it was made one way, now I have to go the long way. sad.png