New recruit beaten to death as draft season begins

webfact

New Recruit Beaten to Death As Draft Season Begins
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14597721971459772561l.jpg
Potential recruits at a drafting station Monday in Nong Khai province.

BANGKOK — A 23-year-old soldier died in southern Thailand after suffering a severe beating at his army base two days ago, according to his family.

The death of Private Songtham Moodmud coincides with the start of the annual military conscription, in which around 100,000 Thai men are selected for two years of service in the military, an institution with a reputation for corruption and occasional brutality.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459772197&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-05

Probe ordered by the 4th army region into the death of a conscript

0404002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A fact-finding committee has been set up to investigate the death of a conscript who was allegedly tortured and beaten up to death by his immediate superiors.

Colonel Yutthana Petmuang, deputy spokesman of the forward command of the 4th region Internal Security Operations Command, said Monday that the case had already been reported to commander of the 4th army region, Lt-Gen Vivath Pathompark.

Parents of the victim, 23-year old Songtham Moodmud, have cried foul against their son’s death. They claimed that their son was tortured and badly beaten up by a drill sergeant and five other officers after he engaged in a quarrel with the sergeant.

The victim was taken to a hospital in Yala province with multiple and internal injuries. He was later declared dead.

Colonel Yutthana said Lt-Col Somkid Kongthon, commander of the 152th infantry battalion, Payak barrack in Bannang Sata district where the victim was attached to would be summoned for questioning regarding the tragic incident.

He assured that if the allegations were proven to be true, all the culprits would receive the highest penalties.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158168

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-05

They cracked down on hazing in the universities and technical schools but they seem to have overlooked the armies own hazing problems. I hope the parents take action that makes the gov liable for this.

Good luck with that. When have the army or its personel be held liable for anything?

Another committee and more assurances about punishments etc.

Now let's wait and see what, if anything, happens or even if it gets reported.

Don't bother waiting, there will be nothing to see in the end.

They cracked down on hazing in the universities and technical schools but they seem to have overlooked the armies own hazing problems. I hope the parents take action that makes the gov liable for this.

This government is not liable for anything. They are beyond reproach.

Not an issue for the sons of the elite as they simply buy their way out. Some even go on the receive military pensions after falsifying their records to show that they did serve in some capacity.

It wasn't hazing or a tragic accident, though, the article says he had an argument with superiors and they tortured / beat him to death.

He assured that if the allegations were proven to be true, all the culprits would receive the highest penalties.

Which in other words mean that the army will not find anything, no one will be punished (unless it is an officer they anyway wanted to get rid of) and if the family complains they will go for a 7 day attitude adjustment camp.

This sort of thing happens in the armies of the west as well, including rape. Anyway it's national army bribe time to get out of serving, i heard that the going rate is 30,000 Baht.

Edited by soalbundy

In Thailand, if you want that justice is done, buy a gun and shoot the culprits.

Easy, cheap and clean.
If you wait for a "commission" to find out if any wrongdoing is done and "punish" the culprits, you are up for a long haul.

the military, an institution with a reputation for corruption and occasional brutality.

By Teeranai Charuvastra

Staff Reporter

sadly khun Teeranai will be heading ta an undisclosed army base soon, where he can experience his allegations firsthand...

good luck, brave one wai.gif

Being beaten to death is of course totally unacceptable and those responsible should go to prison for life.

That said, allow me to make a few observations that many will want to bite at. I was a young squaddie circa 1974 and was knocked around by the senior guys quite often. It was "all part of it" and I was forewarned, my older brother received the same treatment back in '64. I took redundancy as a Warrant Officer Physical Training Instructor. in '93 when it all started to get PC and silly. Being a soldier is a tough life, it's no place for wimps. Even in the changed British Army, there are probably 'rough' things that go on behind closed doors. When you're faced by an enemy ready to cut your ba**s off, those days of being a 'sprog' and getting some rough and tumble can actually serve to help you through the rough and scary times.

It can't have been that bad as I still miss those hardy days, but as always one man's meat......

"after he engaged in a quarrel with the sergeant."

I am not saying that the kid should have died BUT as a former military member and seeing the attitudes of some of the young people today I can see where if the sergeant was attacked the kid could get himself in a lot of trouble.

I would like to know more about this before I blame the military.

words like torture are used to freely these days and there could be a legitimate reason that he was injured.

Think Baltimore if you listen to just one side a kid put his hands p and surrendered. Then the truth came out.

Just saying

Being beaten to death is of course totally unacceptable and those responsible should go to prison for life.

That said, allow me to make a few observations that many will want to bite at. I was a young squaddie circa 1974 and was knocked around by the senior guys quite often. It was "all part of it" and I was forewarned, my older brother received the same treatment back in '64. I took redundancy as a Warrant Officer Physical Training Instructor. in '93 when it all started to get PC and silly. Being a soldier is a tough life, it's no place for wimps. Even in the changed British Army, there are probably 'rough' things that go on behind closed doors. When you're faced by an enemy ready to cut your ba**s off, those days of being a 'sprog' and getting some rough and tumble can actually serve to help you through the rough and scary times.

It can't have been that bad as I still miss those hardy days, but as always one man's meat......

The difference is that this here and now in Thailand, and you're still alive to tell your story!

Quote : He assured that if the allegations were proven to be true, all the culprits would receive the highest penalties.

The 'highest penalties' being ... ?

If those sick and cowardly (5 against 1) bullies end up in jail, pigs will grow wings.

The army needs to punish ALL involved severely. Incidents like these will completely erode public confidence in the institution. Such indiscipline reflects extremely poorly on the army. By meting out harsh punishments to the culprits AND apologizing to the victim's family, then at least the will salvage some dignity.

I do not condone physical punishment that ends the life of a squaddie. However! When under military training you do not argue, nor contradict your superiors. Today's youth seem to think that they know it all, and cannot understand the need for discipline, primarily because they've never received any from their own family. The discipline that is attempted to be induced into these new recruits may very well save their, and their compatriots, lives in times to come, both in and out of service life.

We do not know the full details of this sad occurrence, and probably never will; too much force applied against a stroppy youngster; the youngster pushing his luck beyond his own capabilities; senior persons getting more and more frustrated over his attitude; and the inevitable outcome of an unnecessary and brutal beating being given.

Certainly those responsible must take the blame; after all, they too, were disciplined members of the armed forces and should have known better and had more control over their reactions. Criticise the army - the armed forces - all your will, for their training methods but take a look at the places where those recruits may well finish up in, relying upon their compatriots for their own safety. Rant over!

The army needs to punish ALL involved severely. Incidents like these will completely erode public confidence in the institution. Such indiscipline reflects extremely poorly on the army. By meting out harsh punishments to the culprits AND apologizing to the victim's family, then at least the will salvage some dignity.

This incident will play hell with recruiting. Oh wait a minute,

service is mandatory ( for the poor anyway.....)..