Nabbed for loud exhaust

Gonsalviz

I got nabbed in Kalasin just outside of town for loud exhaust. The fine was initially 1000 baht but I negotiated it down by claiming HD are loud. I asked them if they were going to fine me 1000 baht everyday? Then the fine became 500 baht.

The cop irritated me by seeing how high he could rev the engine and I snatched his hand off the throttle which I figured would be a no no but in the end he was jovial. Even told me the ticket was good for 3 days. I always thought it was 1 day but I don't know if 3 days is only for this infraction. He seemed to think HD can rev up like a Honda CBR.

The inspections are always passed but the rules they have will never fit an HD. I forget the exact number but they are supposed to rev the engine way up there which is near the HD red line. They never do.

I guess 500 baht in 6 1/2 years is not too bad. Whatever, I did change it once because when I bought it someone had cut a large portion of the baffle out so I actually made it quieter. That cost me 28,000 baht. The taxes Thailand charges are ridiculous so I have no intention of changing the exhaust again.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

U not get fined for loud exhaust but for illegal modification. U will get fine even if its quiet but not stock. Or without thai industry stamp on it.

I got fined twice 1000 in pattaya and was forced to put back on stock.

Thai db limit is pretty high like 95db.

But in thier fines book it says illegal modification.

Only stock or thai stapmed pipes allowed.

Recently bought monster 821. They had choice stock pipe or Terminogi performance. Asked them if its legal they said NO. They sell new illegal bikes tho. Up to customer they said.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Edited by BeefSlapper

Do they actually have a decibel meter? And do they know what the legal limit is? Do they know what a decibel is? smile.png

I changed my Scrambler exhaust to a Termignoni. I keep the baffle inside and measured with the phone about 90 dB but phones have crappy mics and another guy with a proper meter measured 84dB from a 50 feet distance which I think is a bit far but well within the 95dB limit in Thailand. To go from 84 to 95 is actually a tenfold increase.

And my exhaust is pretty audible. I try to not ride it in the night in order to not upset any neighbours. But it's not as loud as some Thai scooters...

Edited by eisfeld

Do they actually have a decibel meter? And do they know what the legal limit is? Do they know what a decibel is? smile.png

I changed my Scrambler exhaust to a Termignoni. I keep the baffle inside and measured with the phone about 90 dB but phones have crappy mics and another guy with a proper meter measured 84dB from a 50 feet distance which I think is a bit far but well within the 95dB limit in Thailand. To go from 84 to 95 is actually a tenfold increase.

And my exhaust is pretty audible. I try to not ride it in the night in order to not upset any neighbours. But it's not as loud as some Thai scooters...

Its not about db at all.

Terminogi is not thai made. Illegal. I bought new monster 821 went with stock as other was illegal. They not tell u if u not ask.

I think its TIS stamp u need on it and need to be in green book. If its not u in trouble.

Edited by BeefSlapper

I don't ride at night. (too dangerous). I never drive around in populated areas. And I certainly do not try to irritate people. Thai on the other hand try to make as much noise as possible, cars, trucks, big and small, or motor bikes.

Seems strange.....but thems the rules! Today I was driving down 4026 to the farm and some clown flew past me on a ring-a-ding machine.....so noisy! Anyway, I had a good laugh about a kilometre later when I saw the clown broken down on the side of the road.

My Duc Sport Classic had twin Termis. Both had "For Race Use Only" engraved into the end cone.. Rode it for 5 yrs around Pattaya, Bangkok and down to Hua Hin without issue.. It was loud enough to set of car alarms and nobody on a scooter would sit behind me at traffic lights cos of the buffeting from the straight thu pipes... Marvelous sound !

Its not about db at all.

Terminogi is not thai made. Illegal. I bought new monster 821 went with stock as other was illegal. They not tell u if u not ask.

I think its TIS stamp u need on it and need to be in green book. If its not u in trouble.

For the Scrambler there are 2 different stock exhausts, one being a Termi. It is fully homologated and legal in Thailand. I looked at my stock exhaust and saw no TIS stamp. There are three different Termi exhausts for the Scrambler. A stock one, a slipon one, and a high pipe. Good luck knowing which one is legal and which one isn't :)

I once tried to go to the DLT and get the exhaust of my CBR checked and approved. I thought I could get this TIS stamp there. They just gave me funny looks.

I don't ride at night. (too dangerous). I never drive around in populated areas. And I certainly do not try to irritate people. Thai on the other hand try to make as much noise as possible, cars, trucks, big and small, or motor bikes.

You just don't understand.

The louder you make the exhaust, the faster the bike and the more face you gain.

Sheesh! Every Thai knows that!

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

I think some of the bikes are naturally loud, like a Harley (though, I classify them as two-wheeled agricultural equipment rather than a bike).

The other excuse I've heard is that it makes the bike "safer" as other riders can hear you coming from behind (Down Jingthing! Down!).

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

I think some of the bikes are naturally loud, like a Harley (though, I classify them as two-wheeled agricultural equipment rather than a bike).

The other excuse I've heard is that it makes the bike "safer" as other riders can hear you coming from behind (Down Jingthing! Down!).

Those tools with loud exhausts think that as they ride by and the people turn and look they are thinking " WOW, What a cool bike and even cooler dude "

When they are actually thinking " What a complete and utter w$nker " whistling.gif

From 84 to 95 is 11 dB which translates in almost 4 times as loud.

The human hearing notices each step of 3 dB as noticable louder.

so 84-87-90-93-96 is 4 steps. 96 dB is fricking loud.

HD is loud, but does it really have to be loud to perform. Rider leaves the noice behind and the whole Moo Ban suffers.

555, you might have noticed I don't drive an HD, sorry guys.

HD is loud, but does it really have to be loud to perform. Rider leaves the noice behind and the whole Moo Ban suffers.

Right, a tenfold increase in power but in terms of percieved loudness it would be more like 2-4 times as loud. So it is still a lot quieter than allowed. Many scooters or trucks are louder and probably exceed the legal limit. And don't get me started about the real tuk-tuks in Isaan that shake the whole village when passing through.

Yes.

Stock exhausts are Nannystated - choked up and restricted to pass both US and EU emisions and noise laws.

Aftermarket exhausts will often be about 5kg lighter, make the engine a lot more responsive, as well as often making the top gear less like an overdrive gear and more like a gear that actually revs. Different bikes and exhausts permitting of course.

Comboned with an after-market airfilter and fuel-controller you're looking at a very decent bump in performance and nice loss in weight. :)

Actually a proper exhaust does make a bike faster. Peak power gains of 10% are not unheard of. Personally, I couldn't care less because I'm not racing on a track.

I changed the exhaust on my CBR because otherwise it's inaudible and all you can hear is the sound from the chain which really sucks. I doubt anyone would describe it as loud though. It has the dB-killer in. You wouldn't be able to pick it out of the other sounds in traffic.

On my Ducati I changed it to make it a bid louder (but not annoyingly loud!) because the sound is sweet. A low bass rumbling. It adds to the emotion of riding.

Picture in your head Star Wars but with all the sounds of the laser guns, laser swords and jet fighters removed. Still as emotional?

There are shitty sounding loud exhausts (scooters, trucks) and there are well engineered good sounding ones. Quality over quantity but you need *some* quantity.

I'm not a guy who needs attention from other people. I couldn't care less. I enjoy the sound while riding alone in the middle of nowhere. Actually especially there. I get annoyed by loud exhausts just like anyone else. And yet they could fine me because the bike is "modified" even though well within legal limits. That doesn't make sense.

But if you want to advertise a new condo building,seafood restaurant or fashion show its ok to blare it out as loud as you want in the streets from moving cars, but the police can't fine them can they

Loud pipes is your horn.So cars and trucks see you.It helps from getting ran over.

My Duc Sport Classic had twin Termis. Both had "For Race Use Only" engraved into the end cone.. Rode it for 5 yrs around Pattaya, Bangkok and down to Hua Hin without issue.. It was loud enough to set of car alarms and nobody on a scooter would sit behind me at traffic lights cos of the buffeting from the straight thu pipes... Marvelous sound !

You should be very proud.

Those tools with loud exhausts think that as they ride by and the people turn and look they are thinking " WOW, What a cool bike and even cooler dude "

When they are actually thinking " What a complete and utter w$nker " whistling.gif

Really it is to keep the tools in cages away.

U not get fined for loud exhaust but for illegal modification. U will get fine even if its quiet but not stock. Or without thai industry stamp on it.

I got fined twice 1000 in pattaya and was forced to put back on stock.

Thai db limit is pretty high like 95db.

But in thier fines book it says illegal modification.

Only stock or thai stapmed pipes allowed.

Recently bought monster 821. They had choice stock pipe or Terminogi performance. Asked them if its legal they said NO. They sell new illegal bikes tho. Up to customer they said.

It can be both. The cops that nailed me kept saying "dessibell"which translates to me as decibel.

With a modified exhaust and intake, 10% increase in power. I guess that 4 seconds of noise ruins you whole day.

Did you ever think that loud motorcycles suck? We have a group here that puts stickers up all over the place saying just that! Everyone around you doesn't want to hear your noise pollution.... I'm glad to hear the RTP are finally issuing some fines. Too bad they aren't around my town!