Nabbed for loud exhaust

Gonsalviz

KB, thank you for an excellent summary!

thumbsup.gif

I'll try to avoid all those areas in this post:

I went out for a beer last night, on my bike!

My bike doesn't have a speedo (or any annoying dials) so I can't tell you exactly how fast I was going but it wasn't very. At approximately 30 mph/48 kph the time any pedestrian or maybe, an older gentleman sitting on a bar stool, was exposed to the peak volume of my exhausts was a fraction of a second and the time it took me to go from 100m behind to 100m in front of them was maybe 4/5 seconds.

My point is that this loudness argument must be mostly conceptual rather than actual for the detractors on this thread. The time they spend fuming about the lack of consideration of loud bikers far exceeds the time they spend listening to the noise.

As Buddha said, "If an exhaust exists in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

wai.gif

Edited by Tapster

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a lot of the old farts posting here complaining about noise have never ridden a bike in their boring lives. Makes you wonder why they are reading and posting in a motorcycle forum.

I passed my motorcycle driving test in the UK in 1963.

I have been riding scooters and motorbikes in Thailand since 2006.

I still ride a Honda Phantom 200cc, a Honda CB400cc, a Yamaha 115cc scooter and a Honda 115cc scooter and I will be 72 next month.

How about you?

Well said again Bill, you have done very well.

Here's a conundrum.

I have some old Honda Super-Cubs.

The C90s are quiet, about the same as a modern Honda Dream.

The C70 is at least three times as loud. Same Bike, same exhaust, same everything. The only difference is the piston and bore size.

Would love to know why.

Honestly the police stop and fine was more an illegal shakedown, the official Thai noise levels for motorcycles is 95 dB(A) at halve the throttle… What’s more noise than most professional motocross bikes…

I had a 250cc Lifan single-cylinder engine that produced without an exhaust system 89 dB(A) at halve the throttle….

DELETED

Its nothing about db limits but illegal mods.

In thailand u cant mod bikes at all.

They fine ppl for not stock mirrors.

In thier fines book it reads illegal modification = 500.

No one getting fined loud sounds.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Edited by seedy
flaming

Honestly the police stop and fine was more an illegal shakedown, the official Thai noise levels for motorcycles is 95 dB(A) at halve the throttle… What’s more noise than most professional motocross bikes…

I had a 250cc Lifan single-cylinder engine that produced without an exhaust system 89 dB(A) at halve the throttle….

One of the few coherent replies in this thread. Most of the rest just Rants and Prejudice. Got many fines of 1000 baht when I lived in Jomtien. They never looked at the pipes, or asked for a drivers license, copy of green book, shoe size or anything else. Just asked for the money. To all the posters who have let Drivel be the driver of their keyboard, Let those Who Ride Decide.

Loud and Proud.... Nothing beats the sound of a Ducati in the morning whistling.gif I never actually believed that there were men in this World who didn't like the sound of internal combustion... Then again maybe I'm weird ? After all, I hate football..

post-39406-0-83584600-1460029566_thumb.j

post-39406-0-75318600-1460029597_thumb.j

Edited by Pdaz

I think we can all agree that people with loud exhausts are not a bother if they live in another village and rarely visit your village in the wee small hours. This from the guy who wants to stand at the fence when the top fuel drag cars do a pass!

post-63954-0-20646000-1460040482_thumb.j

Weird huh!

When I was last in a testing station I asked the guy what the limit was. He said 95 decibels. Then I asked him what about Harley Davidson bikes. He said they are always louder than the limit and he gets good tips for passing them.

I live next door to a guy with a HD. When he comes home late at night he wakes all the dogs in the street and they all start barking. That then wakes me and many neighbors. He is a total -deleted-.DELETED

No other motorbike arriving home makes anywhere near as much noise or disturbs the dogs, me or neighbors. I'm glad that at least one policeman is taking some action. Just wish they all would.

When I come home late at night on my bike,I put it in neutral and drift the last 100-200 meters to my house.

Most of the tme I don't wake up the neighbors dogs or the neighbors.

Do unto others as you would have them do not you.If more people cared anything for their fellow man this

Would be A nice world to live in.

Loud and Proud.... Nothing beats the sound of a Ducati in the morning whistling.gif I never actually believed that there were men in this World who didn't like the sound of internal combustion... Then again maybe I'm weird ? After all, I hate football..

attachicon.gifduc1.jpg

attachicon.gifduc2.jpg

Love that Ducati. Classis looks, little or no plastic, air cooled.

When I was last in a testing station I asked the guy what the limit was. He said 95 decibels. Then I asked him what about Harley Davidson bikes. He said they are always louder than the limit and he gets good tips for passing them.

I live next door to a guy with a HD. When he comes home late at night he wakes all the dogs in the street and they all start barking. That then wakes me and many neighbors. He is a total -deleted-.DELETED

No other motorbike arriving home makes anywhere near as much noise or disturbs the dogs, me or neighbors. I'm glad that at least one policeman is taking some action. Just wish they all would.

When I come home late at night on my bike,I put it in neutral and drift the last 100-200 meters to my house.

Most of the tme I don't wake up the neighbors dogs or the neighbors.

Do unto others as you would have them do not you.If more people cared anything for their fellow man this

Would be A nice world to live in.

Thank you for showing a lot more concern for your neighbors than my neighbor does. Unfortunately he has an uphill ride of almost 150 meters from the main soi through the housing estate, of which most houses have dogs, and a 90 deg. turn until he reaches his gate and then a ramp up into his house when he'd have to stop to open the gate. Would be hard to drift as you do. Best would be to leave the HD at home and walk or just scrap the noisy thing.

Why are all these haters in the bike forum?

Nothing new happening in the gardening forum?

Because we don't like being woken up in the middle of the night by a noisy motorbike ridden by an inconsiderate -deleted-.

I don't think trimming the roses causes noise pollution.

Instead of loud bike they should check and fine every people who drive a car and use their phone at the same time or crazy driver..

Loud bikes don't kill

Might not kill you but they'll give you a headache.

Keep your noise to yourself and don't inflict it on others. That's selfish.

Roosters are my alarm clock. Let's ban them too. Thailand is a noisy place, as are most places these days. Birthday parties, weddings, funerals, kids being born. All bring on the noise. Either buy 20 Rai and build a house right in the middle of it or get used to it. Don't like it ... Fine. Whine to all and Sundry ... not so much.

I suppose you all have the go faster stripes as well ???

Now I am starting to see that the farang is teaching us bad habits (Quiet please)

Go faster stripes? No way, they add too much drag. Everyone knows that Kawasaki green is the fastest color there is, followed closely by yellow.

Because we don't like being woken up in the middle of the night by a noisy motorbike ridden by an inconsiderate -deleted-.

The newborn baby 2 houses down is annoying me too, should I ask those people to move or just get rid of their kid?

Catching up on old emails and stumbled across this thread.

Some of the things I most liked about Thailand (and Southeast Asia generally) when I first came here were the concepts, "jai yen yen" and "mai bpen rai." I always considered rabid intolerance to be a disease of the western world. And perhaps it is, but it's certainly increasing here in Thailand. Such a shame. A loud motorbike coming in late makes all the dogs in your moo baan bark? Well, so does a quiet motorbike. And for that matter, so does a very quiet soi dog walking down the street at 1AM. And at 2AM. And at 3AM. And at 4AM. Mai bpen rai. Jai yen yen. If you're annoyed, then it is because you choose to be. You're upset that little Somchai has changed the exhaust on his ratty old two stroke motorbike to make the bike louder/faster, and you can hear the bike over on the highway screaming obnoxiously at 10PM? Remember, young people typically don't have much, anywhere in the world. If he's saved up 6,000 Baht for a bike he can try to to play with and be proud of, good on him. I understand. My toy at age 13 was a 1955 Chevy for which I paid $75US. All I owned in the world, and I worked hard to get it. Too, by and by, I came to be very proud of it. So jai yen yen. Mai bpen rai. I understand Somchai, and can smile at his happiness. Several of my neighbors even liked my '55 Chevy way back when... Maybe they were proud to see a boy work hard and try to be proud? I dunno. Maybe it's just that some people are nicer than others. More accommodating.

Are louder exhausts safer? I don't know. But hikers who encounter coyotes, mountain lions and such are instructed to stand tall (as a group, if there's a group), open your jacket to appear bigger, make lots of noise, maintain eye contact, act like a predator yourself (aggressively waving your arms), and etc. Such advice also seems appropriate for those motorcyclists who encounter automobile drivers, and especially in Thailand. While I do realize there are safe and responsible drivers here in Thailand (and elsewhere), I also know that there are many who are not safe in any way, who are unlicensed, have no insurance, are self-centered, busy talking on cell phones, busy getting drunk, etc., etc., etc. Anyone who drives anything on the road at all here in Thailand knows this to be true as well. Big trucks in the right lane want to turn left. Little motorbikes going slowly in the far left lane suddenly want to turn right, and are happy to cut across three lanes of fast traffic without looking in the blink of an eye. Too, in Thailand, no automobile or truck driver is capable of staying in their own lane, and all three lane roads actually have at lest five lanes of traffic. Sometimes more. If you don't know these things, you're not paying attention, and so would be just another dangerous buffalo on the road. Would the mountain lion not have attacked the hiker had the hiker not stood tall, opened their jacket and made lots of noise? Who can say? Would the housewife in the Nissan March, driving 40KPH in a 120KPH zone while talking on her mobile not have hit the motorcycle if the motorcycle had quiet exhaust? Who can say? Mai bpen rai. Jai yen yen. Whatever the motorcyclist can do to increase his/her chances of getting home alive that night is OK with me. I do understand that there are many who think their right to hear the person they're talking to on their mobile as they drive along the highway is more important than a motorcyclist's right to do all he/she can to try and stay alive. I disagree, so do not particularly value their opinion.

Here is TIS 341-2542, concerning motorcycle exhaust systems. If there is a newer document, I am unaware of it. Said document describes noise limits for motorbikes of less than 125cc to be 95db. For larger motorbikes, the noise limit is 99db. Maybe good to print that page out, and keep it somewhere on your motorcycle in case a policeman wants to talk about the noise your motorcycle makes. Although, the last policeman I talked to about the noise my Tsukigi exhaust makes was a cop in Bangkok. He smiled, gave me a thumbs up, and said it sounded pretty good...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhdXQwci1xZ0tFSGc/edit

Choke dee, krup!

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

There's only good reason to get a loud exhaust - safety.

When they hear you, they'll know you're there, somewhere. Also people like to rev the engine instead of honking the horn.

Other than, people just like to be noisy.

When they ride, they want to hear the sound but because of wind noise and the fact that the exhaust is pointing backwards, they can barely hear it, even if it's very loud for others.

My CBR150 has a pretty loud exhaust but not too loud, it has the legal stamp on it, when going beyond 60 km/h, I don't hear the exhaust at all, only engine noise under my balls.

Instead of loud bike they should check and fine every people who drive a car and use their phone at the same time or crazy driver..

Loud bikes don't kill

Might not kill you but they'll give you a headache.

Keep your noise to yourself and don't inflict it on others. That's selfish.

I have more of a problem with folk who have a zillion dogs that start barking if they hear a fart....sad.png

No dog would wake upon hearing someone pass and fart. And you know it. Motorbikes making more than 95db are breaking the law, causing noise pollution and disturbance to others. They should all be taken of the road.

The newborn baby 2 houses down is annoying me too, should I ask those people to move or just get rid of their kid?

Find out if they are breaking any law and take appropriate action. Nearly all HDs emit more than 95db and are therefore breaking the law and should be taken off the road.

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

There's only good reason to get a loud exhaust - safety.

When they hear you, they'll know you're there, somewhere. Also people like to rev the engine instead of honking the horn.

Other than, people just like to be noisy.

When they ride, they want to hear the sound but because of wind noise and the fact that the exhaust is pointing backwards, they can barely hear it, even if it's very loud for others.

My CBR150 has a pretty loud exhaust but not too loud, it has the legal stamp on it, when going beyond 60 km/h, I don't hear the exhaust at all, only engine noise under my balls.

What is your exhaust system set up? I have a CBR 150 too.just kept it all stock.

I have more of a problem with folk who have a zillion dogs that start barking if they hear a fart....sad.png

No dog would wake upon hearing someone pass and fart. And you know it.

Cobblers...if a dog walks past my neighbors house both of his go ballistic (anytime of day or night) and keep at for a good 15min after said dog has long since passed. That is way more annoying than a noisy bike that has passed in a few seconds.

About the same time I started sprouting hair in strange places, I quit clothes pinning baseball cards into my spokes to deliberately make noise.

I guess some folks never do quit... One loud bike- no big deal. But we don't live alone in the world.

(On an aside, I wish I had some of those baseball cards I ruined. Who knew Mickey Mantle was going to be famous?)

Mantle-Spokes-Jim-Degerstrom.jpg

Edited by impulse

Cobblers...if a dog walks past my neighbors house both of his go ballistic (anytime of day or night) and keep at for a good 15min after said dog has long since passed. That is way more annoying than a noisy bike that has passed in a few seconds.

No dog round here barks when a person walk past but they all do when a HD with its noise above legal limits does. If you feel the dogs your referring to are breaking any law take appropriate action with the dog owners. The policeman referred to by the OP took appropriate action with the owner of the noisy HD and I only wish more of them would.

WE live here and know..........smile.png

I live here and know at least one noisy HD.

No dog round here barks when a person walk past but they all do when a HD with its noise above legal limits does. If you feel the dogs your referring to are breaking any law take appropriate action with the dog owners. The policeman referred to by the OP took appropriate action with the owner of the noisy HD and I only wish more of them would.

I heard there is still some room for you on top of the mountain above the clouds, where you are bothered by no one and can't even hear the birds chirp.

What a sad life you must have.