Nabbed for loud exhaust

Gonsalviz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

U not get fined for loud exhaust but for illegal modification. U will get fine even if its quiet but not stock. Or without thai industry stamp on it.

I got fined twice 1000 in pattaya and was forced to put back on stock.

Thai db limit is pretty high like 95db.

But in thier fines book it says illegal modification.

Only stock or thai stapmed pipes allowed.

Recently bought monster 821. They had choice stock pipe or Terminogi performance. Asked them if its legal they said NO. They sell new illegal bikes tho. Up to customer they said.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

It can be both. The cops that nailed me kept saying "dessibell"which translates to me as decibel.
If u over 95db yes.

But quiet and none stock its fine

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

Loud pipes is your horn.So cars and trucks see you.It helps from getting ran over.

Uh...No.

Your horn is your horn...

Would you drive around all day honking your horn? That's where your logic leads you....

Edited by bobbin

Do they actually have a decibel meter? And do they know what the legal limit is? Do they know what a decibel is? smile.png

I changed my Scrambler exhaust to a Termignoni. I keep the baffle inside and measured with the phone about 90 dB but phones have crappy mics and another guy with a proper meter measured 84dB from a 50 feet distance which I think is a bit far but well within the 95dB limit in Thailand. To go from 84 to 95 is actually a tenfold increase.

And my exhaust is pretty audible. I try to not ride it in the night in order to not upset any neighbours. But it's not as loud as some Thai scooters...

and if did have one, would it matter if knowing what they're doing with the toy, or just making noise about it?

With a modified exhaust and intake, 10% increase in power. I guess that 4 seconds of noise ruins you whole day.

Wow!!! And this in a country with highspeed max. limit of 120 km/h? Hahaha....!!!!

I think the bike drive without a modified exhaust 132 km/h too!!!

U not get fined for loud exhaust but for illegal modification. U will get fine even if its quiet but not stock. Or without thai industry stamp on it.

Recently bought monster 821. They had choice stock pipe or Terminogi performance. Asked them if its legal they said NO. They sell new illegal bikes tho. Up to customer they said.

Must be a Ducati dealer procedure. When I bought my 2014 Streetfighter 848 with all the bits I wasnt allowed to have them installed immediately as they aren't allowed to sell unroadworthy bikes.

They were happy to fit them @ the 1000km first service though lol

post-240358-0-50095300-1459911635_thumb.

Must be a Ducati dealer procedure. When I bought my 2014 Streetfighter 848 with all the bits I wasnt allowed to have them installed immediately as they aren't allowed to sell unroadworthy bikes.

They were happy to fit them @ the 1000km first service though lol

Sorry to say.

Its illegal exhaust.

Got myself 821 with stock.

U got in in greenbook and TIS stamped? Doubt it. Police fines for Termi in pattaya

It should be up to the police officer's discretion.

Sport bikes and super bikes should be given a break. I can't recall a time in my life where I didn't enjoy the sound of a sport bike winding up to 15,000rpm. I think the worst offenders are the 50cc-150cc bikes that you can hear for 10 city blocks screaming out their obnoxious mono-toned drone.

I always have put on aftermarket exhausts in the u.k also here but putting one on a H.D i always cannot understand they sound awful and the bikes weigh a ton so whats the point of trying to save on weight from stock exhausts.

The whole car shakes in traffic when these H.D pull up .

H.D riders are all about look at me .

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

I think some of the bikes are naturally loud, like a Harley (though, I classify them as two-wheeled agricultural equipment rather than a bike).

The other excuse I've heard is that it makes the bike "safer" as other riders can hear you coming from behind

I think some of the bikes are naturally loud, like a Harley (though, I classify them as two-wheeled agricultural equipment rather than a bike).

The other excuse I've heard is that it makes the bike "safer" as other riders can hear you coming from behind (Down Jingthing! Down!s).

Loud exhaust of motorcycles or cars is a Neaderthal's way of saying "look at me, I'm hung like a donkey".

Edited by Timebandit

I had a discussion with a friend last week as I was showing him my newly-rebuilt chopper (insert gratuitous smutty joke here). He didn't like the noise and didn't understand why it was loud. (The exhaust is nearly straight through and is quite loud.)

The sound of the bike is as much a design feature as any aspect of the styling.

People who complain about noise pollution will only be inconvenienced for a few seconds as I ride past. This is Thailand after all, where noise is ever-present and consideration for your fellow man is sadly lacking. I don't use my bike late at night out of consideration for my neighbours.

There is one big positive about the exhaust volume and it has been mentioned here before: it makes other road users more aware of you, and for a motorcyclist in Thailand, that is a very good thing.

As usual, I say "Live and let live". If you're so highly strung that the loud exhaust of a passing bike makes you foam at the mouth, have another beer and relax. I feel sure we bikers could easily find something objectionable about you as well!

biggrin.png

I had a discussion with a friend last week as I was showing him my newly-rebuilt chopper (insert gratuitous smutty joke here). He didn't like the noise and didn't understand why it was loud. (The exhaust is nearly straight through and is quite loud.)

The sound of the bike is as much a design feature as any aspect of the styling.

People who complain about noise pollution will only be inconvenienced for a few seconds as I ride past. This is Thailand after all, where noise is ever-present and consideration for your fellow man is sadly lacking. I don't use my bike late at night out of consideration for my neighbours.

There is one big positive about the exhaust volume and it has been mentioned here before: it makes other road users more aware of you, and for a motorcyclist in Thailand, that is a very good thing.

As usual, I say "Live and let live". If you're so highly strung that the loud exhaust of a passing bike makes you foam at the mouth, have another beer and relax. I feel sure we bikers could easily find something objectionable about you as well!

biggrin.png

4 seconds for your bike and then 2 minutes later is the next bike loud and on and on. You are not the only guy with a loud exhaust.

When will people learn to be more considerate. :)

Do they actually have a decibel meter? And do they know what the legal limit is? Do they know what a decibel is? smile.png

I changed my Scrambler exhaust to a Termignoni. I keep the baffle inside and measured with the phone about 90 dB but phones have crappy mics and another guy with a proper meter measured 84dB from a 50 feet distance which I think is a bit far but well within the 95dB limit in Thailand. To go from 84 to 95 is actually a tenfold increase.

And my exhaust is pretty audible. I try to not ride it in the night in order to not upset any neighbours. But it's not as loud as some Thai scooters...

Anyone know of a shop here in Chiangmai where one could purchase an internal baffle and install it in the pipes of a customized exhaust system?

I didn't think the Highway Police did anything other than check drivers license and road tax .

It is pleasing to hear of a police man stopping a motorcycle with too loud exhaust ; how about cars and motorcycles with defective lights .

There are many motorcycles in Huaimek , Kalasin that need to be stopped for offensively loud exhaust .

Why do so many posters just go for some stupid comment about pecker insecurity. Completely stereotypical, unoriginal association. Some riders, me included, prefer some throatiness to the exhaust sound. Not obnoxious, just louder than stock. DELETED

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Every moron can make noise !!! and so can he drive without exhaust pipes and disturb people's tranquillity.

I have a (Farang) friend in Chiang Mai Riding a Modified Honda 1600 or something like that....and when he started he's engine I couldn't hear any sound...

Only when he pushed the revs could I hear a soft un-disturbing noise....Now that's impressive !!! REAL IMPRESSIVE !!!.

I don't think any Thai would ride such a Marvell....!!!

Best Regards.

That is exactly why. While there is no need by any means for a LOUD exhaust pipe, the after market exhausts usually increase performance, which often means an increased DB level as well. Like already mentioned, they are often a lot lighter than stock exhausts, reducing the overall weight of the bike. For most (big bike) bikers, keeping the stock exhaust is not even an option!

What I don't understand is people fitting loud exhaust on their <125cc mopeds just to increase the sound, like many teenagers here like to do. Actually I hate it, as there is a bridge just in front of my condo and they are speeding there on their crappy bikes at night.. oh well that's what earplugs are for smile.png

For bigger bikes (650-1300cc) I don't see a problem with louder aftermarket exhausts. Firstly, they can still run at quiet at lower RPM when necessary and won't make much noise unless you are riding them hard. Secondly, it's also good to hear faster bikes when they are coming, because it can be often hard for cars to estimate how fast these bikes can accelerate (and suddenly be in front of you) so it kind of works as a warning too.

ps. I ride a quiet PCX scooter myself..

Anyone know if all aftermarket exhaust are illegal in Thailand? Because e.g. Akrapovic comes with CE-markings and proof in Europe; they produce fully approved exhausts for road use that aren't too lound unless you remove the baffle. But what is the case in Thailand? Do any of the more expensive aftermarket exhausts such as Akrapovic come with (local) road use certification?

Loud pipes is your horn.So cars and trucks see you.It helps from getting ran over.

But the exhaust pipe points to the rear and if you are in a car or a truck with the stereo on loud you won't hear the bike in front anyway

Yes.

Stock exhausts are Nannystated - choked up and restricted to pass both US and EU emisions and noise laws.

Aftermarket exhausts will often be about 5kg lighter, make the engine a lot more responsive, as well as often making the top gear less like an overdrive gear and more like a gear that actually revs. Different bikes and exhausts permitting of course.

Comboned with an after-market airfilter and fuel-controller you're looking at a very decent bump in performance and nice loss in weight. smile.png

But then you are breaking the law and leaving yourself open to the same problem as the OP has when he gets stopped for a noisy exhaust.

With a modified exhaust and intake, 10% increase in power. I guess that 4 seconds of noise ruins you whole day.

Wow!!! And this in a country with highspeed max. limit of 120 km/h? Hahaha....!!!!

I think the bike drive without a modified exhaust 132 km/h too!!!

I also have a Honda CB400 with stock exhaust and no after market gizmos.

I will reach 170kph though the most I have doe was 160kph, and that only once.

I normally ride it at 100 to 120kph which is fast enough for me and gives me some spare power if I need it.

I don't ride at night. (too dangerous). I never drive around in populated areas. And I certainly do not try to irritate people. Thai on the other hand try to make as much noise as possible, cars, trucks, big and small, or motor bikes.

Yes I can attest to that first hand. The only part I hate about Songkran is the giant speakers that blast bass away all day across the street. I guess that is part of the Songkran culture as well. I have often thought of crossing the street and throwing a pail of water on them. Would that be kosher?

I got stopped and the police showed me some laminated card and pointed to my exhaust. I have Termis without the baffles so it's loud when I throttle it. It was in 2014 in Pattaya. I just went to Soi 9 Police Station, paid 400 baht and that was it. There was nothing mentioned about changing it back to stock at all. Was just like any other traffic ticket. Pay at the counter, get your license back, and go.

DELETED

I've riden Harleys and sportbikes. I've had LOUD pipes on both. I would be dead if I didn't. Countless times I've had cars start to change into my lane without looking and I goose the throttle a bit and they jump from the loud noise and stay in their lane until I've passed by or slowed down for them to change over.

DELETED

Good luck!

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Very good point. I had Termis on my Ducati and it had a quiet deep rumbling at idle and only roared when I throttled it. When I drive a car, I'd rather be around bikes that have loud pipes than quiet. No matter how hard you look, there are always blind spots on cars regarding bikes. At least I can hear them if I can't see them right away.

And really, are people that easily annoyed by a momentary sound of a bike?

That is exactly why. While there is no need by any means for a LOUD exhaust pipe, the after market exhausts usually increase performance, which often means an increased DB level as well. Like already mentioned, they are often a lot lighter than stock exhausts, reducing the overall weight of the bike. For most (big bike) bikers, keeping the stock exhaust is not even an option!

What I don't understand is people fitting loud exhaust on their <125cc mopeds just to increase the sound, like many teenagers here like to do. Actually I hate it, as there is a bridge just in front of my condo and they are speeding there on their crappy bikes at night.. oh well that's what earplugs are for smile.png

For bigger bikes (650-1300cc) I don't see a problem with louder aftermarket exhausts. Firstly, they can still run at quiet at lower RPM when necessary and won't make much noise unless you are riding them hard. Secondly, it's also good to hear faster bikes when they are coming, because it can be often hard for cars to estimate how fast these bikes can accelerate (and suddenly be in front of you) so it kind of works as a warning too.

ps. I ride a quiet PCX scooter myself..

Anyone know if all aftermarket exhaust are illegal in Thailand? Because e.g. Akrapovic comes with CE-markings and proof in Europe; they produce fully approved exhausts for road use that aren't too lound unless you remove the baffle. But what is the case in Thailand? Do any of the more expensive aftermarket exhausts such as Akrapovic come with (local) road use certification?

"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". I'll take quiet and fast over loud and fast any day.

It really slays me to see these 1.5 litre rice burners such as a Vios or Honda dressed up with rear spoilers. mag wheels and flared mudguards. Who do they think they are kidding?