Nabbed for loud exhaust

Gonsalviz

Did you ever think that loud motorcycles suck? We have a group here that puts stickers up all over the place saying just that! Everyone around you doesn't want to hear your noise pollution.... I'm glad to hear the RTP are finally issuing some fines. Too bad they aren't around my town!

Wish RTP were doing the same in my town as well.....Noise Polluters

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a lot of the old farts posting here complaining about noise have never ridden a bike in their boring lives. Makes you wonder why they are reading and posting in a motorcycle forum.

Seems like a lot of the old farts posting here complaining about noise have never ridden a bike in their boring lives. Makes you wonder why they are reading and posting in a motorcycle forum.

Right! LOL! Actually it's funny. A friend of mine has an electric motorcycle that shuts down any Ducati, and it silent! It's called a Zero. I have a kind of a loud 2 stoke with an expansion chamber, but it's a legal stock old Honda. I still hate loud bikes!

Edited by Jimi007

I bought a 2015 Street Glide Special and change the exhaust to Cary Foss racing pipes which aren't too loud and haven't drawn any attention to date. I installed these pipes because they sound very nice.

Kurt

Loud is relative. For the granny brigade the batting of a butterfly's wings are probably too loud.

It's how I like my rock & roll and my motorbike. Good thing none of these grannies live in my building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who modifies an exhaust to make it louder should indeed be fined........total lack of concern for other people. If you like it then listen to it in your own living room/ Same for those blaring speakers in the back of pick-ups.

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

The best reason is we like the sound. Another is to be noticed; and that is partially for safety--since most cagers don't see, or bother to consider, a biker--a loud bike is more obvious. Of course, it is more noticeable at slow speeds in traffic; hardly noticeable when oncoming at speeds. Do loud pipes make it faster? The easier the flow through the exhaust, the less restriction; which may translate to faster. At least that is what the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers claim.

Did you ever think that loud motorcycles suck? We have a group here that puts stickers up all over the place saying just that! Everyone around you doesn't want to hear your noise pollution.... I'm glad to hear the RTP are finally issuing some fines. Too bad they aren't around my town!

post up your address ill nip over when my next rear tyre is due for replacement and put on a show for you. mines loud enough to make dogs actually shit themselves when i bounce it off the limiter

Was stopped at a check in Chiang Mai, along passed Warorat Market.

Loud exhaust.

1000b, down to 500b for paying on the spot.

People with very overloud exhausts should get the book thrown at them, no matter whether it's a motorbike, car

or truck, they are just one big nuisance on the roads.

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Yes.

Stock exhausts are Nannystated - choked up and restricted to pass both US and EU emisions and noise laws.

Aftermarket exhausts will often be about 5kg lighter, make the engine a lot more responsive, as well as often making the top gear less like an overdrive gear and more like a gear that actually revs. Different bikes and exhausts permitting of course.

Comboned with an after-market airfilter and fuel-controller you're looking at a very decent bump in performance and nice loss in weight. smile.png

But then you are breaking the law and leaving yourself open to the same problem as the OP has when he gets stopped for a noisy exhaust.

Very well said Bill.

Honestly the police stop and fine was more an illegal shakedown, the official Thai noise levels for motorcycles is 95 dB(A) at halve the throttle… What’s more noise than most professional motocross bikes…

I had a 250cc Lifan single-cylinder engine that produced without an exhaust system 89 dB(A) at halve the throttle….

Honestly the police stop and fine was more an illegal shakedown, the official Thai noise levels for motorcycles is 95 dB(A) at halve the throttle… What’s more noise than most professional motocross bikes…

I had a 250cc Lifan single-cylinder engine that produced without an exhaust system 89 dB(A) at halve the throttle….

It’s safe to say that most exhaust systems that produce a loud sound (exhaust noise) will not pass the Thai exhaust emission standards, but the Thai police cannot by law assume that a loud noise is equal to not passing exhaust emission… But if the exhaust system is an obvious copy of a brand or clearly just a pipe without end muffler it’s not that difficult that a police officer called it illegal….

Officially, if a motorcycle doesn’t meet the Thai road regulation, including the exhaust emission regulations the registration of the motorcycle becomes invalid…. So a fine for having an illegal exhaust pipe is a soft option…

When i was a kid,my dad had a Panther 650 com( i dont suppose any one here would remember them) but he only had to kick it over in the morning and all the neighbours were up in arms(and in those days we lived on a council estate)He rode it for 5 years and then changed to a BSA C 15.Far less noisy.My dad is long gone now,but i still remember the Panther.

years have gone by and the Panther is just a memory.But i still love the sound of a loud bike,and i say to this day,that nothing,and i mean nothing sounds quite like a Harley.No sound in the world quite like it.

c,mon this is Thailand, when i had my Aprilia RSV in the UK i had a " not for road use " exhaust, one on our engineers, made up a cracking B.S. stamp and riveted it on.looked the dogs dangly bits. wow sounded nice.also you could buy them on e bay if i remember, (that was for uk)

I passed my motorcycle driving test in the UK in 1963.

I have been riding scooters and motorbikes in Thailand since 2006.

I still ride a Honda Phantom 200cc, a Honda CB400cc, a Yamaha 115cc scooter and a Honda 115cc scooter and I will be 72 next month.

How about you?

Edited by billd766

Loud pipes is your horn.So cars and trucks see you.It helps from getting ran over.

Uh...No.

Your horn is your horn...

Would you drive around all day honking your horn? That's where your logic leads you...

Most motorcycle horns are quiet.If A car has it's windows up and radio on ,you won't hear the horn

Who has heard a Brough Superior SS100 (1000cc) ..........whistling.gif

Who has heard a BSA Gold Star..........whistling.gif

Who has heard any Vincent..........whistling.gif

I have heard them all and ridden a Gold Star and even at full blat it was less noisy than many scooters here.

Even a Vincent with straight pipes was not as noisy as some modern bikes.

Can you remember some of the sweet Norvins outside the Busy Bee or Ace?

Yes when I was 16 I thought it was cool to make a noise on my bike, but the UK cops soon picked you up even back in the 60's.

I only dream that one day Thailand will get serious about noise pollution. My pet hate being those idiots who modify the exhausts on their Diesel pick-ups and think that the resulting noise and smoke will make them go faster.

That and the old lorries with mega exhausts.

Keep noisy bikes on the track.

Bah humbug.

I think some of the bikes are naturally loud, like a Harley (though, I classify them as two-wheeled agricultural equipment rather than a bike).

The other excuse I've heard is that it makes the bike "safer" as other riders can hear you coming from behind (Down Jingthing! Down!).

When I was a younger looney belting around, twice my loud pipes saved an accident for sure.

I still ride a Honda Phantom 200cc, a Honda CB400cc, a Yamaha 115cc scooter and a Honda 115cc scooter and I will be 72 next month.

How about you?

Definitely an old fart then!

In Thailand I have a Harley Night train (with tuned engine and loud pipes), here in Singapore where I'm working just now, I recently sold my Harley Ultra Ltd and I still have an Aprilia Tuono with a standard pipe which is still rather loud.

post-63405-0-52919000-1459984728_thumb.jpost-63405-0-97744800-1459984826_thumb.j

How about you?

Definitely an old fart then!

In Thailand I have a Harley Night train (with tuned engine and loud pipes), here in Singapore where I'm working just now, I recently sold my Harley Ultra Ltd and I still have an Aprilia Tuono with a standard pipe which is still rather loud.

attachicon.giftrain.jpgattachicon.giftuono 5.jpg

Much better to be an old fart than a young squirt.

I have survived about 55 years of riding a bike, driving cars, trucks, a bus sometimes, fork lift trucks in about 35 countries across the world.

There are old bikers, bold bikers but very few old bold bikers.

I used to ride one of these at 14/15 years old.

post-5614-0-50897600-1459988322_thumb.jp

When I was last in a testing station I asked the guy what the limit was. He said 95 decibels. Then I asked him what about Harley Davidson bikes. He said they are always louder than the limit and he gets good tips for passing them.

I live next door to a guy with a HD. When he comes home late at night he wakes all the dogs in the street and they all start barking. That then wakes me and many neighbors. He is a total -deleted-.DELETED

No other motorbike arriving home makes anywhere near as much noise or disturbs the dogs, me or neighbors. I'm glad that at least one policeman is taking some action. Just wish they all would.

Edited by seedy
derogatory

A brief summary of the thread, so far for those that don't want to read all the pages.

"Loud exhausts are bad".

"No, Loud exhausts are good".

"People who have loud exhausts have small willies",

"No, people who object to loud exhausts are all old".

"No, loud exhausts are bad".

"No, loud exhausts are good".

You get the idea?