Please help with advice on where to relocate for a few months. My overly-long explanation ahead...

wkistler

Plan C might be somewhere around Pokhara Nepal.

Plan A, make sure to check into a ground floor condo.

Namaste.

Otherwise go live on the mountain and talk to the birds.

Plan B, renounce all wordly possesions and go join the bums on Skid Row.

Plan C, move to Alasaka.

Plan D, move to the reservation Chief.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am no fan of Malaysia or its racist Bumi laws,

but sometimes you just have to take your hat off and salute.

post-39258-0-34537600-1459963150_thumb.j

As for Thailand, loving the non PC notice.

post-39258-0-10694300-1459963246_thumb.j

For the OP if you are of a PC Rainbow type, Asia may not be for you.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Seeing how judgmental you are of posters who offer you advice, it's a cinch that you are just as judgmental of yourself. That's why you can't find yourself. Watch more Eckhart Tolle. When you learn to still your scattered and judgmental thoughts, you will suddenly "find" yourself. Other than for adventure and pleasure, there's no need to go anywhere. You are already there. Wherever you go and whatever you do, life will be difficult and you will constantly face challenges and suffering. It's all in how you interpret it. "Discovering the Unconditioned" is a particularly good clip on eckharttollenow that you may find useful. Good luck.

PS. For an interesting contact in India, check out the website jamesboagyoga.com. With James in Mysore, you can learn to chant verses from the Baghavad Gita in Sanskrit. More exotic than the SE Asian options, no? If you're interested, I can send you his latest newsletter by PM.

Namaste.

Plan C, move to Alasaka.

I had Alaska as Plan D. It wouldn't look as adventurous on a CV as Nepal or Thailand.

Namaste.

Plan C, move to Alasaka.

Well at least you're starting to approach civility in your posts.

By the way: where is this Alasaka? It sounds Japanese but I could be WONG.

Maybe it near Namaste? I hear that place mentioned a lot.

So I've noticed a pattern here:

There's a twelve hour window, between 4pm Pacific/ 6am Bangkok time and 4am/6pm where it's mostly helpful and friendly people occupying these boards.

Then the 12hour troll shift starts and there's only @sipi trying keep the board from turning into a sanitarium.

sipi: you're a nice guy, man. Seriously. You show some amazing patience.

Namaste.

Plan C, move to Alasaka.

Well at least you're starting to approach civility in your posts.

By the way: where is this Alasaka? It sounds Japanese but I could be WONG.

Maybe it near Namaste? I hear that place mentioned a lot.

So I've noticed a pattern here:

There's a twelve hour window, between 4pm Pacific/ 6am Bangkok time and 4am/6pm where it's mostly helpful and friendly people occupying these boards.

Then the 12hour troll shift starts and there's only @sipi trying keep the board from turning into a sanitarium.

sipi: you're a nice guy, man. Seriously. You show some amazing patience.

Thankyou. I am currently in Australia and work night shift. This forum is my only source of entertainment during the quiet times at work.

I might add briefly that my posts are normally less than five words as I have trouble stringing a sentence together and have the memory of a piece of wood. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by sipi

Seeing how judgmental you are of posters who offer you advice, it's a cinch that you are just as judgmental of yourself. That's why you can't find yourself. Watch more Eckhart Tolle. When you learn to still your scattered and judgmental thoughts, you will suddenly "find" yourself. Other than for adventure and pleasure, there's no need to go anywhere. You are already there. Wherever you go and whatever you do, life will be difficult and you will constantly face challenges and suffering. It's all in how you interpret it. "Discovering the Unconditioned" is a particularly good clip on eckharttollenow that you may find useful. Good luck.

PS. For an interesting contact in India, check out the website jamesboagyoga.com. With James in Mysore, you can learn to chant verses from the Baghavad Gita in Sanskrit. More exotic than the SE Asian options, no? If you're interested, I can send you his latest newsletter by PM.

I don't want you worrying about me too much, friend.

The comments have been all over the board, but I've been trying to catch up by thanking and replying to all the good folks that have offered anything in the way of real advice.

Now, those that have taken time out of their day to leave only negative comments.....well I think this might be the judgmental attitude you're getting confused about. With all the mudslinging coming my way, I couldn't help myself. I don't think any of us are taking it too seriously, but I'll speak up I get any death threats.

I can just point at anyone being a prick on this forum and call them a pedophile and it's like shooting fish in a barrel! It's a forum full of older male expats living in Thailand! Hell, someone actually called me pretentious for it a few posts back! That was bewildering. I think I could be pointing out the elephant in the room by talking trash about man-boy love here. Is there by chance a subforum for the expat NAMBLA community? It's probably private.

@DogNo1,

Your two posts to me have followed a similar template: You start out by trying to make a judgement call on the kind of person I am and where I'm at in life based on a couple of forum posts (I've done this too, but it's an insulting thing to do). Then by the middle of your message you start to soften a bit and then you end by giving heartfelt advice that's quite kind and very helpful.

I appreciate it very much. I'll try not to take all your digs into my character too personally.

There's one thing you would do well to reflect upon: I can't pretend to tell much about you from your posts here.

If I had to try though, I'd say that maybe you're a bit like me: You think that you know more than you actually do, but you're overall a good person and trying to be helpful in this world.

Jeez.I'm worn out just reading this shit.Woodstock,the mammas and the papa's,Transcendental meditation,Finding ones self,being part of the world and being one with every thing.Christ! this crap finished 30/40 years ago.Its a different world now.And Thailand is deffinatley not the place for it to be rehashed.The people that subscribed to that way of thinking are now grand parents and great grandparents.

Leave it where it was.This world is no longer your world.As the other OP said,light up another one/take some acid,but dont do it here.

Or like the Buddhist monk said to the New York hot dog vendor "make me one with everything"KKDave

KKDave, so long as there are humans there will be questions as to the meaning of life.

There are some lovely little villages along the Mekong between Nong Khai and Bueng Kan. It can be quite pleasant overlooking the water to the Laos mountains. You will find some decent temples.

Wait until it cools down.

I was thinking the very same thing.

I would start with Mut Mee Guesthouse in Nong Khai to get your bearings and network with likeminded people.

Well, how about a down to earth answer. If I was you, I would spend some time in each place you mentioned. Start off with India, you might love it there. When fed up, or need to move on, Thailand/ Cambodia, and at the end Bali. easy to get a multi destination ticket, ( try emirates) and for a small sum you could change the dates to suit your wishes. Remember the seasons aren't the same, Bali monsoon being in November to March which is thailands dry season. Google meditation or ashram in each country you are going to. Have a very good travel insurance too. Do realise that on thaivisa , the people do not usually do the sort of travelling you want, so will not know much about it. Get some professional advice. Happy travels!

Bali eh ?..., I can only recount from my experiences..., I really dislike the whole Kuta/Legian/Sanur southern tip area...., also Ubud.
For me it's just so stuffed up by excessive amounts of tourists visiting, to the point that it's now very polluted, corrupt and congested.
Looking back over the past decades of my visits there..., and the ongoing visits of a gazilion other travellers..., the southern tip Bali for me is now Paradise Lost..., a real cluster of modern tourism. But to get in and out of Bali there is only really one convenient entry and exit pathway..., and that is via Ngurah Rai International Airport..., and it's right in the middle of a sodom and gomorrah tourist ghetto !
But..., if you find your way to the north of Bali..., specifically around the sides of the 3 dormant volcanoes...., there are still some 'relatively' quiet and peaceful locations......, but the roads are still narrow and drivers can be crazy stupid. Look to the area south of Lovina beach and up the mountain by a 45 minutes drive.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Try to Google Eyes to Burma. Contact a guy called Fred in Mae Sot. A short or long stay will help both the poor People there and yourself. Read and watch the videos on that website. Up to you

I read up on Fred. He sounds like he'd be a great person to meet up with, conditions permitting.

It's obviously not just about him, but rather the people he's helping, but it sounds like everyone that actually goes with him to help with the cause is deeply moved being around the refugee community and learning about his humble approach to making their hard lives a little bit better.

@mankondang: Thank you for pointing him out. If I can swing it, I'll pm you with info on how it goes.

Sure that Fred will appreciate a visit, take him a little goody bag to. If you really want to get the full experience take a big of sweets and go swimming naked with the hill tribe kids.

You so funny!

I have a feeling too much time hanging around people who like your money has given you a false sense of confidence around your sense of humor.

For christ's sake, at least check your facts before you bleet from your maw:

You and rgks2001 or whatever he goes by are both referring to what could only be the one other expat Fred in Thailand.

It must get confusing for the two Freds that live in Thailand, what with Fred being such a unique name for men over the age of 50 these days.

"Did you say Fred? Oh that guy's a piece a work. Raping babies in Chiang Mai, I hear."

"Well how about that Robert feller in Bangkok? I hear he's a baby raper AND and murderer. Watch out for Robert in Bangkok."

While I'm sure there are probably more than a few Freds in S.E. Asia having sex with minors, the one you're referring to is British, and the Fred running Eyes to Burma is from Ashland, Oregon. They are both white and named Fred though so there's that.

Yeah wrong Fred.

I was looking for the right words to reply; but being an Australian, English is my second language.

My apologies for contributing to things getting out of hand.

Thanks for cleaning up the thread somewhat.

It looks like I have a lot of research to do after going back over all the suggestions.

Even the cantankerous comments have been educational in their own way.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in.

It looks like I have a lot of research to do after going back over all the suggestions.

God Bless buddy.

Someone once said the journey is more fun than the destination, but farked if I can remember who.

Not quite finished.

“I can’t say what made me fall in love with Vietnam - that a woman’s voice can drug you; that everything is so intense. The colors, the taste, even the rain. Nothing like the filthy rain in London. They say whatever you’re looking for, you will find here. They say you come to Vietnam and you understand a lot in a few minutes, but the rest has got to be lived. The smell: that’s the first thing that hits you, promising everything in exchange for your soul. And the heat. Your shirt is straightaway a rag. You can hardly remember your name, or what you came to escape from. But at night, there’s a breeze. The river is beautiful. You could be forgiven for thinking there was no war; that the gunshots were fireworks; that only pleasure matters. A pipe of opium, or the touch of a girl who might tell you she loves you. And then, something happens, as you knew it would. And nothing can ever be the same again.”

Graham Greene, The Quiet American

Maybe Vietnam isn't quite the same now, but the "place" could be anywhere.

Just do your due diligence research on Buddhism in Thailand...., look for practitioners who can speak english well. In my experience Buddhism in S/E Asia(Theravada) is generally quite a liberal version(for want of better wording)...., and Thailand's Buddhist practices seems even more liberal...., and as such quite removed from Tibetan Buddhism. As I said this is just my experience.

You might care to look in Thai Visa's farming forum for permaculture farmers..., but beware you are not supposed to work as a visitor to Thailand..., in any capacity.
Also it may be well worth your while to check out the Buddhism section of this forum ?

post-39258-0-10694300-1459963246_thumb.j

note: this only applied to farang. i would pass multiple of people as such above each day on my short walk for food and water, but they were thai or thai looking. they have been in the vicinity for years, sleep piss and eat at their high volume pedestrian street locations. they dont cause any problem for any one, they are just there.

Edited by fatdog 702 inches

Not quite finished.

“I can’t say what made me fall in love with Vietnam - that a woman’s voice can drug you; that everything is so intense. The colors, the taste, even the rain. Nothing like the filthy rain in London. They say whatever you’re looking for, you will find here. They say you come to Vietnam and you understand a lot in a few minutes, but the rest has got to be lived. The smell: that’s the first thing that hits you, promising everything in exchange for your soul. And the heat. Your shirt is straightaway a rag. You can hardly remember your name, or what you came to escape from. But at night, there’s a breeze. The river is beautiful. You could be forgiven for thinking there was no war; that the gunshots were fireworks; that only pleasure matters. A pipe of opium, or the touch of a girl who might tell you she loves you. And then, something happens, as you knew it would. And nothing can ever be the same again.”

Graham Greene, The Quiet American

Maybe Vietnam isn't quite the same now, but the "place" could be anywhere.

Vietnam is a big place.

I'm getting a lot of nudges to give it a deeper look.

Is there a region or town you think is particularly amazing? Feel free to PM me. Thank you for this quote. It's really great. Makes me want to fly out tomorrow.

too hot there at present unless you like 40c+ temps.

North Vietnam sounds hot and humid for the next several months, but the rest of the country particularly in the middle looks quite nice...

I live in the Southern California desert, so hot (100-115f or 37-46c) is our norm, but it's a dry heat, usually. 40c with humidity can be intense I'm sure, though the rains must be a welcome reprieve.

Its been over 40 c for a number of weeks in chiang mai...one of the more 'cooler' areas in Thailand. People say danang is supposed to be great in Vietnam. Never been to the country but i am ready for serious change from LOS

Vietnam is a beatiful country with some beatiful humble people, up north is staggeringly beautiful.

if you havent yet been , Burma is also worth a visit.

Pagan, worth a trip just to check out the splendour and magnificance.

Too many get stuck in a Thai rut.

Ya rgs2001uk...i am really looking into Burma.... I think I saw in another thread you work online...as do I can I ask...not to derail this topic...what the cost in usd an apartment runs and how is the internet service over in yangoon...

• 1 month later...