Fan Power Consumption

fforest1

http://www.hatari.co.th/en/products/slide-fan/%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%94-18-%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7/he-s18m1/27-s18/25-he-s18m1.html

Hatari fan

• 3–step fan speed selection.
POWER COMSUMPTION (WATT)

This fan has 3 speeds High Medium and Low

I am almost sure the power consumption would be lower at the lower speeds but how much lower? Any one have any good guesses?

Its a simple question with out a good answer....

The rating plate is intended to indicate the MAXIMUM power consumption of an appliance, it will use rather less at the lower settings.

Test with an Hatari HA-P-18M1 400mm (18") stand fan, rated at 78W @ 220V according to the rating plate. Pretty close to the one in your link.

Tested with a Prodigit 200MU power consumption meter.

Measured supply voltage 225V

Fan swing off.

Speed 1 = 57.7W

Speed 2 = 65.9W

Speed 3 = 71.9W

Fan swing on.

Speed 1 = 58.3W

Speed 2 = 66.5W

Speed 3 = 72.1W

Note that even at the slightly elevated supply voltage at full speed with swing on it does not consume the power shown on the rating plate.

The rating plate is intended to indicate the MAXIMUM power consumption of an appliance, it will use rather less at the lower settings.

Test with an Hatari 400mm stand fan, rated at 78W @ 220V according to the rating plate.

Tested with a Prodigit 200MU power consumption meter.

Measured supply voltage 225V

Fan swing off.

Speed 1 = 57.7W

Speed 2 = 65.9W

Speed 3 = 71.9W

Fan swing on.

Speed 1 = 58.3W

Speed 2 = 66.5W

Speed 3 = 72.1W

Note that even at the slightly elevated supply voltage at full speed with swing on it does not consume the power shown on the rating plate.

Wow- Thanks this is just the info I was looking for.....

This question does come up occasionally, I never record the results so have to do the test every time, it only takes a few minutes (usually takes longer to find the power meter) smile.png

I edited my post slightly after following your link, my fan is pretty close to the one you linked to.

66.5 x 24 = 1,596, that bit wasn't too difficult, what is the typical cost of Kw then we can do some serious division! thumbsup.gif

My last bill at government rates all inclusive of taxes was 4.3635 baht/unit (kwh). The above is 1.596kwh so 1.596kwh * 4.3635 = 6.964146 baht/day operating cost.

Most of us enjoy a lot of the banter which occurs on here

But Posts and responses like these make TV extra worthwhile

I've often wondered what it costs to use fans......we have them running throughout the day....aircon costs would be a bonus too, if anyone knows.....we seldom use them......my electric bill is 4,700 baht a month as it is

Thanks to everyone who contributed ??

....aircon costs would be a bonus too, if anyone knows.....we seldom use them......my electric bill is 4,700 baht a month as it is

Aircon is more difficult as there are many variables. Cooling output, insulation of the room, outside temperature, set inside temperature, size of the room etc. etc.

Let's say a 12,000 BTU A/C running with a compressor duty cycle of 50% (compressor is running 1/2 the time).

A conventional (non-inverter) 12,000 BTU A/C will use about 1.2kW when the compressor is running (and about 60Watts when it's not, so I'll ignore that), @ 50% duty cycle that's 0.6kWhr per hour. Run it 24 hours then you use 24 x 0.6 = 14.4 units or 63 Baht per day.

If you want the absolute maximum the A/C will use (100% duty cycle) for the same unit its 28.8 units or 126 Baht per day.

I've often wondered what it costs to use fans......we have them running throughout the day....aircon costs would be a bonus too, if anyone knows.....we seldom use them......my electric bill is 4,700 baht a month as it is

mine is thb 800 and i thought i was paying too much.

great post and great replies, thb 7 a 24 hour day for a massive comfort is really good value.

66.5 x 24 = 1,596, that bit wasn't too difficult, what is the typical cost of Kw then we can do some serious division! thumbsup.gif

My last bill at government rates all inclusive of taxes was 4.3635 baht/unit (kwh). The above is 1.596kwh so 1.596kwh * 4.3635 = 6.964146 baht/day operating cost.

Convenient the comma was in the right place to convert to a decimal point.

Lot of the maths on this a flawed a you need to divide W (watts) by 1000 to = Kw

I.E.

((66.5 X 24)/1000)*4.3635 =6.964146

Thanks Tywais, I did the 66.5 x 24 x rate unit and came up with 79.8 per day, therefore 2394 bht p.m. for one fan! Your post made me realise that I need to move the decimal point back one place. I can be a bit slow at times... sad.png

8 bht per day per fan sounds about right to me. Its the aircon and aquariums that really increase the electricity bill.

Thanks Tywais, I did the 66.5 x 24 x rate unit and came up with 79.8 per day, therefore 2394 bht p.m. for one fan! Your post made me realise that I need to move the decimal point back one place. I can be a bit slow at times... sad.png

8 bht per day per fan sounds about right to me. Its the aircon and aquariums that really increase the electricity bill.

1,596 (Europe?) = 1.596 elsewhere biggrin.png

....aircon costs would be a bonus too, if anyone knows.....we seldom use them......my electric bill is 4,700 baht a month as it is

Aircon is more difficult as there are many variables. Cooling output, insulation of the room, outside temperature, set inside temperature, size of the room etc. etc.

Let's say a 12,000 BTU A/C running with a compressor duty cycle of 50% (compressor is running 1/2 the time).

A conventional (non-inverter) 12,000 BTU A/C will use about 1.2kW when the compressor is running (and about 60Watts when it's not, so I'll ignore that), @ 50% duty cycle that's 0.6kWhr per hour. Run it 24 hours then you use 24 x 0.6 = 14.4 units or 63 Baht per day.

If you want the absolute maximum the A/C will use (100% duty cycle) for the same unit its 28.8 units or 126 Baht per day.

Great information again.........keeping comfortable for about the cost of a Starbuck cappuccino

Thanks again

Our power bill is about 4 - 4.5k per month, we only use A/C at night in the bedroom, set to 28C, any lower and I get cold (Wifey is wrapped in the duvet at all times).

A large chunk of our usage is IT (1-2 computers plus a server) we have a standing load of about 800W 24/7 with peaks when the freezers fire up.

Wifey has 5HP of water pumps to keep her plants happy.

Solar coming soon, watch this space (OK the Electrical forum).

Our power bill is about 4 - 4.5k per month, we only use A/C at night in the bedroom, set to 28C, any lower and I get cold (Wifey is wrapped in the duvet at all times).

A large chunk of our usage is IT (1-2 computers plus a server) we have a standing load of about 800W 24/7 with peaks when the freezers fire up.

My bill is usually 4,700 ish in the dry season mainly due to watering 1.5 rai of thirsty grass, trees/shrubs and the pool

It does drop down by a couple of thousand in the rainy times......

We don't use aircon, tv or computers on line, so it must be the pump drawing water from the bore hole and the pool pump room

Anyway small price to pay compared to where we came from ?

My bill is usually 4,700 ish in the dry season mainly due to watering 1.5 rai of thirsty grass, trees/shrubs and the pool

We don't use aircon, tv or computers on line, so it must be the pump drawing water from the bore hole and the pool pump room

Then you must have a heavy pump. I live in the same area as you, have auto irrigation system with 2hP pump for 1000m² of lawn running twice a day, deep well with 1hP pump, pool with 1.5hP pump, Jacuzzi and waterfall which each have their dedicated pumps, 2 aircons running every night, PC online at least 12 hours a day and my highest bill in the past 4 years has been 3200 Baht.

Then you must have a heavy pump. I live in the same area as you, have auto irrigation system with 2hP pump for 1000m² of lawn running twice a day, deep well with 1hP pump, pool with 1.5hP pump, Jacuzzi and waterfall which each have their dedicated pumps, 2 aircons running every night, PC online at least 12 hours a day and my highest bill in the past 4 years has been 3200 Baht.

Something wrong with my system then

7 Baht a for a 24 hour day! maybe I have been looking in the wrong area to trim my electric bill! that's the last time I turn a fan off to save power!!

Cheers

You don't use air conditioners on these 30 °C + days? If you need to save money, run them as efficiently as possible.

mine is thb 800 and i thought i was paying too much.

great post and great replies, thb 7 a 24 hour day for a massive comfort is really good value.

Have you ever been in rooms so hot that the fans blow hot air and make things worse? That starts happening in the 30's (°C) and particularly with high humidity.

I can't see the point in suffering. Even heavy air con use will only cost a couple of thousand baht extra per month. It's worth it to enjoy a nice cool environment... just cool enough not to sweat with help from well positioned fans. I run mine at 26 - 27°C or 25°C when exercising. I didn't come here to suffer.

I run my fans full speed nearly 24/7 with refridgerator and laptop also 24/7 and electric bill was 400-500/mo.

It used to be higher and then i realized it was likely the incandesent bulbs. When they burned out, bill got cheaper for no reason. I thought neighbors were siphoning a little bit off of me.

When i replace the bulbs, i'll use LEDs. I'll lose the dimming effect that i used 0% of the time anyway.

If your paying 8 or 9 Baht per Kwh unit like many renters do you can

just about double your cost per day...

I started getting interested in tracking every watt of energy usage when

I moved into a new place that charges 10 Baht per unit..

I know plenty of people on here will scream rip-off..

But the new apartment is very nice with modest rent and I just had to

suck up the 10 Baht per unit or not live there....

So now I only turn on the air-con when I first get home and I am really

hot for about 5-10 minutes and that's it...

7 Baht a for a 24 hour day! maybe I have been looking in the wrong area to trim my electric bill! that's the last time I turn a fan off to save power!!

Cheers

You don't use air conditioners on these 30 °C + days? If you need to save money, run them as efficiently as possible.

I use air-con! as you state, "I didn't come here to suffer" either, been 40c plus up here in Udon the past few days, life without air-con would be intolerable for me. My bills range from 3 - 9k a month, this next month being the most expensive, I would install solar but have yet to discover a contractor I would feel comfortable with.

Archived