Question for 3bb VDSL users .....

speedtripler

If you want higher international speed, just buy a higher plan, which was heavily discounted.

50/10 vdsl is only 700 baht/month (2500 baht/month before)

3bb told me, a technician will visit me next week to measuring the signal strength. I hope the line is fine to upgrade to VDSL.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Back from 3BB. First thing to note is that my contract is a Premier 3/1Mbps ADSL. This does not exist anymore...

I have 2 choices :

- VDSL 50/10 (and the other one at 20) but I need new router VDSL, Total bill include first month around 1600 THB (700+900)

- ADSL 18/5 and I dont need new router. Price is around 950THB/month, so a little bit less from my Premier contract.

They told me that for International, better use 18/5, and SPECIFY International. This package is also for "thai website" at 650thb (around) but slow access to International. But I can have it if I want. I say no thanks ;-)

VDSL 50/10 is cheaper, but maybe more swinging and less stable for International connection, which I am doing 99% of the time.

My first step will be to move to ADSL 18/5 and see if I can profit for 5 times my actual speed, for a little bit cheaper price. I just need to brig my router at their office, they make the configuration, and go back home. They will refund how many days my Premier contract is not used, on my first (or second) bill.

That's what I will try to do on Sunday.

Phil.

Hi,

Back from 3BB. First thing to note is that my contract is a Premier 3/1Mbps ADSL. This does not exist anymore...

I have 2 choices :

- VDSL 50/10 (and the other one at 20) but I need new router VDSL, Total bill include first month around 1600 THB (700+900)

- ADSL 18/5 and I dont need new router. Price is around 950THB/month, so a little bit less from my Premier contract.

They told me that for International, better use 18/5, and SPECIFY International. This package is also for "thai website" at 650thb (around) but slow access to International. But I can have it if I want. I say no thanks ;-)

VDSL 50/10 is cheaper, but maybe more swinging and less stable for International connection, which I am doing 99% of the time.

My first step will be to move to ADSL 18/5 and see if I can profit for 5 times my actual speed, for a little bit cheaper price. I just need to brig my router at their office, they make the configuration, and go back home. They will refund how many days my Premier contract is not used, on my first (or second) bill.

Phil.

So they offer two 18Mb packages? One for intl. for 962 or 500Baht?

Apart from that, you can do the configuration by yourself. They printed out the credentials for me and i did it by my self yesterday.

With 18/5 you mean, 5Mb upload? I thought it is only 1.8Mb upload. What a mess. Visit 10 3bb shops and you get 10 different answers.

I just called 3bb again. Its get worse day by day. 500 baht for domestic and 962 baht for intl. Now, it is not possible to change again. And new customers can't get the 962 baht package.

So, 3bb gives a damn to their foreigner clients. I can't believe that. <deleted>

Hi,

I have 2 choices :

Phil.

18/5 ???

didn't find any mention of this at the shop. Also, as far as I know, ADSL2+ standard doesn't support 5 mbit upload...

I believe I has an international package before, but no new package was offered to me.

it gets more mysterious every day

Ooops my mistake. 18/1.8. I focus much more on download speed.. That's why.

962 bht for international

Phil

no mention in my shop about an international package

Same here. I only got told ADSL would be better then VDSL for intl. May be that's all together bullshit. And now, on their website, ADSL is even not mentioned longer. Hard to believe 3bb is one of the leading ISP of Thailand. A country in which where live so many expats and also operating intl. companies.

it would really help if we could contact a technically competent, english-speaking representative of 3BB who could clearly lay out the available options.

looks like I'll be back in their shop monday to grill them about an international bandwidth package

it would really help if we could contact a technically competent, english-speaking representative of 3BB who could clearly lay out the available options.

That would be great. And I'm pretty sure, somewhere is such a guy. But to find him, could be hard. Maybe call again 3bb and ask for a supervisor.

We moved ourself to a dead end way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just another info. Yesterday when I went back home, I still had Internet. I thought, the connection would be already disconnected. But that wasn't the case. Then i did the configuration of the router with the new credentials and hit the new package. Now I'm out, but maybe if I login with the old credentials I still could use the previous package. So, 3bb should only cancel the new plan.

I try tomorrow the shop in big c. They should be open, even at Sundays.

But I don't expect too much. I called the shop today as well and got told. Sorry, can not change back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There rep at big c ratchada tried to sell me a special packages which was "alleged" to be better for international sites but i thought it was bullshit tbh having gotten different info 3 times from him

Maybe he was telling the truth about this if other people have been offered it as well, he told me the international one was a steady 15/5 for around 750thb a month I think but as I didn't particularly believe they have special packages which don't have any promotional literature ..

I don't understand what's with this domestic/international stuff. That's not how the Internet works. The traffic hops around to different servers, it's not a direct connection. After the first hop, which would always be in Thailand anyway, nobody knows or cares what kind of service you have with 3BB.

If 50/10 is cheapest, that is the winner. Get that.

Also, you are obliged to buy a modem from 3BB but you are not obliged to use it. Just pull the settings off it and use your own non-crap modem with a separate router. Single unit modem/router combos never work right.

I don't understand what's with this domestic/international stuff. That's not how the Internet works. The traffic hops around to different servers, it's not a direct connection. After the first hop, which would always be in Thailand anyway, nobody knows or cares what kind of service you have with 3BB.

Also, you are obliged to buy a modem from 3BB but you are not obliged to use it. Just pull the settings off it and use your own non-crap modem with a separate router. Single unit modem/router combos never work right.

i presume they give you a wifi router + modem combo for 1500 thb?

sometimes they do work from my past experience with other isps

a lot depends on your requirements ,if you only need it to send the signal in one room/condo the standard setup might be fine

if you want to boost the range so you can pick it up on another floor or outside etc then you are probably better off with good quality hardware

i forgot to ask them if you can keep the 1500 thb and use your own ,it maybe possible because there is a shortage of VDSL modems at the moment in bkk

and our install was put back to the at least the 22nd of the month

Your idea of how the internet works is inaccurate.

ISP actually buy bandwidth with carriers, the traffic is then routed and throttled according to which contracts were made. There is no net neutrality at the international level.

International bandwidth is expensive for Thai companies, so therefore they are rather stingy with allotting international bandwidth to users.

Well actually, I would choose the 18/1.8 for 2 reasons. One, I don’t need to invest in new modem now. 2, they don’t have any new modem in Chiang mai before 20 of April, they told me.

See in attachment the document they gave me. You can clearly see 2 prices for 18 Mb (router 4ports).

Then I will test, and let you know. If this is not good, I will move to VDSL 50 Mb. And if this is not good, well I will be in the mess ;-)

For information, at the company, we use to have if I remember a Cat Telecom line, 3Mb. Very stable for international, but every storm was messing with it. So we move, to TOT, fiber, 30Mb ... result : good when you update your system (from TH servers), but for a international Skype video connection, man, this swinging is awful. So the sped is important, but the stability more for me.

Going to 3BB today...

Phil

PS : The 632 is to be forgotten, they dont charge it ... some kind of deposit, maybe if you dont own a router, but this does not apply for me.

post-10321-0-68449800-1460255336_thumb.j

See in attachment the document they gave me. You can clearly see 2 prices for 18 Mb (router 4ports).

Sorry, but I see only one monthly price: 632 baht ( 590 baht + VAT 7%)

The variation of price on the 4 options depends only of the modem you choose :

100 - basic WiFi modem 1 port

650 - WiFi modem/router 4 ports

999 - WiFi modem/router 4 ports (with antenna?)

0 - no modem

OK guys, I got it, up and running. Router configuration was done at the office. Now downloading at 1.6MB/s, so around 4.5 times faster that before. Bill should be 932THB include VAT, we will see the next one, as I did not pay nothing. They wrote to me on a paper :

18Mb Thai band 632thb

18 Mb Inter 963Mb.

The "distinction" is not yet advertised I have been told ...

Anyway, fast and smiling (and charming) technical girl.

I am not at all dissatisfied. We can continue to speak a lot about why and when, but don't forget that this is Thailand ... you have the papers, the rules, and the reality. If this fits you, then go for it.

Have a nice Sunday

Phil.

OK guys, I got it, up and running. Router configuration was done at the office. Now downloading at 1.6MB/s, so around 4.5 times faster that before. Bill should be 932THB include VAT, we will see the next one, as I did not pay nothing. They wrote to me on a paper :

18Mb Thai band 632thb

18 Mb Inter 963Mb.

The "distinction" is not yet advertised I have been told ...

Anyway, fast and smiling (and charming) technical girl.

I am not at all dissatisfied. We can continue to speak a lot about why and when, but don't forget that this is Thailand ... you have the papers, the rules, and the reality. If this fits you, then go for it.

Have a nice Sunday

Phil.

In case you went to a Pattaya shop, which one was it?

I give up.

I just went to 3bb at BigC Klang. They told me, there is no distinction between the two prices. The old package, which i had, is no longer available. But current customer can keep it. That's all.

It makes in this kind sense, that they don't offer intl. band to their new customers. So why should they keep open some strange "better for intl. connection" setups / packages when they even don't want to sell it.

Conclusion; we do know nothing for sure.

IMG.pdf

Was in my local 3BB office today and picked up this VDSL leaflet. It will be available in my area in 2 - 3 weeks time, Tasala, Chiang Mai.

All 10/500k ADSL lines will be up graded to 18/1.4 in the next 2 months.

Last month I had 18/1.4, presumably some sort of trial, but I am back to 10/500k now.

Yep, this looks as the old contracts we get long time ago, when Premier was more expensive, but much better for International (stable) connection just because the number of share was limited to 10 people if I remember. And we had cheaper packages, and faster on the paper, which were OK for Thailand, but slow with a lot of swinging for International.

I made some more tests last evening on my ADSL 18/1.8mbps. Downloading torrents was around 1.2, 1.3 MBps, sl around 10 Mbps. This is not a must, but for me 4 times better than before, and cheaper 200 thb from my Premier account. I cannot complain.

Don't forget 2 things : multiple download streams (as torrents for example) are a must to control quality and stability of your download bandwidth. And also, Songkran is coming, with millions of kids playing on Internet ... maybe not the best time to check ;-)

Phil.

attachicon.gifIMG.pdf

Was in my local 3BB office today and picked up this VDSL leaflet. It will be available in my area in 2 - 3 weeks time, Tasala, Chiang Mai.

Noted, one more time, no mention of distinction between 18/1.8 Thai and International at 963THB ... ;-). Chiangmai VDSL router, wait until 20/04 they told me.

Phil.

attachicon.gifIMG.pdf

Noted, one more time, no mention of distinction between 18/1.8 Thai and International at 963THB ... ;-). Chiangmai VDSL router, wait until 20/04 they told me.

Phil.

The ADSL 18/1.8 package has disappeared from 3bb's offer.

the call center today told me something rather strange - if I understood correctly they want to connect my 50/10 plan directly to international... hmm...

Archived