Question for 3bb VDSL users .....

speedtripler

Phil.

The ADSL 18/1.8 package has disappeared from 3bb's offer.

the call center today told me something rather strange - if I understood correctly they want to connect my 50/10 plan directly to international... hmm...

Hi

Don't trust website, or call center. Just move to one or more offices, with a smile, telling them that you want to subscribe to this package 18/1.8. Better go directly to the main 3BB office, and forget small office in Big C or Lotus ... they are sometimes not the more competent.

Good luck

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am suppose to be on the premier package vdsl 50/15 costs me 1284thb pm at the moment, I was on the 30/3 this package was upgraded, the new packages have confused me I will wait a while to see if this international restrictions is real on the 50/10 package

Well after 1 week testing, not that bad. International bandwidth is around 1.2 / 1.3MBps MBps (MegaBytes). I did change my old router for a D-Link DSL-2750E at 990 THB at JIB, to have a better phone wireless connection. Little bit surprised that the wifi sometimes goes down to super slow connection, but cable connection is still good. Restarting router does fix the problem.

Except this, quite happy at the moment. Speed is almost 18/1.8 inside Thailand. It is around 60% of this for International.(LA : Down:6 Mbps Up:1.5mbps -- France : Down:7.5Mbps Up:1.6Mbps)

Phil.

Hmm.. I am now on the 30/5 VDSL for 900-ish..

Time to call 3BB tomorrow and see if they will upgrade me or keep me at the same speed at the same price..

Update: Just called 3BB. They confirm that they have upgraded my plan to 50/10. But the price still remains the same. I will have to call into their branch office tomorrow to request a change of plan to the cheaper option one..

Damn.. Why isn't this automatic?

Time to call 3BB tomorrow and see if they will upgrade me or keep me at the same speed at the same price..

Update: Just called 3BB. They confirm that they have upgraded my plan to 50/10. But the price still remains the same. I will have to call into their branch office tomorrow to request a change of plan to the cheaper option one..

Because the contract you signed was for 900ish

They will happily keep charging you that much as long as they can..... :)

Because the contract you signed was for 900ish

They will happily keep charging you that much as long as they can..... smile.png

Here's hoping a phone call can fix this stupid problem.. Or at least..

Give me a higher speed than the current promotion maybe?

But it seems as though network speed seems to be getting slower though.. Shall continue testing through the week to see if there's any improvement.

There's no way everyone can have 50/10 I think

They system will bottleneck and choke if they keep selling it with such aggressive pricing

I pay the same for 13/1 but I get that all day everyday, to any country and my torrents are not under 1.7MB/s unless throttled during prime time

They system will bottleneck and choke if they keep selling it with such aggressive pricing

I pay the same for 13/1 but I get that all day everyday, to any country and my torrents are not under 1.7MB/s unless throttled during prime time

Call Centre says I am already upgraded to 50/10.

Their "tweaked" speedtest still shows 30/5.. Who to believe..

Find a large torrent (1gb should be enough)

With a few thousand seeds and leeches

That is the speed you "really" have

Not whatever the call Centre says.... :)

Find a large torrent (1gb should be enough)

With a few thousand seeds and leeches

That is the speed you "really" have

Not whatever the call Centre says.... smile.png

That was a fantastic idea..

So I went ahead to download Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Something I just so happened to need).

File size was 1.38GB. And setting the peers connection to the highest it would allow me to key in.

The result are as such:

Download: 3.6 MB/s inclusive of overhead (About 28.8 Mega Bits Per Sec since there are 8 bits in a byte)

Upload: 700 kB/s Inclusive of overhead (About 0.865 Mega Bits Per Sec)

I did this test on my desktop connected to my router via a Home Plug whose throughput internally is about 52 Mbps so had I been really upgraded to the 50/10 plan, this may create a bottle neck (inclusive of the 20% network overhead).

So all in all, my download speed was close to the 30/5 I initially signed up for.. But the upload speed is every so slightly disappointed.. I may conduct the test again during off peak hours to see if there will be any speed increase or not..

But fantastic idea.. Stupid me forgot about the useful bittorrent protocol to test the network.. Perhaps everyone should take this test to see their actual maximum network speed? Wondering why haven't anyone create a utility like this using the bittorrent protocol to test network speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been tpgraded to 18/1.8 on ADSL in Kanchanaburi and all seems fine here,getting 16mbps down and 1.7 up from Bangkok(via speed test.net)quite consistently.

Last week I had my 3BB internet upgraded from 10/0.5 at 631 Baht/month to 50/10 at 749 Baht/month.

My first impression was that I was only getting 50% of the download rate, ie 25 - 28 Mbps, on testing.

However, by making a wired LAN connection between my notebook and router, I was able to get the full 50 Mbps download rate on testing.

So I decided to use the TrueOnline speed test to check my download speed on the various servers they provide, both as WiFi connected and as wired LAN connected.

SERVER DOWN Mbps UPLOAD Mbps LATENCY DOWN Mbps UPLOAD Mbps LATENCY

Thailand 25.14 11.06 39ms 55.23 11.05 30ms

Hongkong 6.42 5.18 240ms 10.04 4.6 250ms

Singapore 28.01 7.48 59ms 28.35 7.66 58ms

UK 1.72 3.15 308ms 4.74 2.97 310ms

USA 12.84 4.38 238ms 15.81 6.06 230ms

The first observation is the general marked loss when using the WiFi connection.

The second observation is why is there no difference between WiFi and wired on the Singapore server? (or is that the upper limit on the WiFi transfer rate of my router or my computer?)

My wife's ASUS tablet, on the other-hand, attains 40Mbps download on a WiFi connection...

'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English);

I forgot to put in the column headings...

the first three columns are WiFi, the second three columns are Wired

ie.

<------------------WiFi-------------------------><----------------Wired------------------------->

SERVER DOWN Mbps UPLOAD Mbps LATENCY DOWN Mbps UPLOAD Mbps LATENCY

Thailand 25.14 11.06 39ms 55.23 11.05 30ms

Hongkong 6.42 5.18 240ms 10.04 4.6 250ms

Singapore 28.01 7.48 59ms 28.35 7.66 58ms

UK 1.72 3.15 308ms 4.74 2.97 310ms

USA 12.84 4.38 238ms 15.81 6.06 230ms

You might be in a "noisy" WiFi signal area with neighbors' routers interfering with your WiFi throughput. If you are somewhat comfortable with troubleshooting, download inSSIDer (free version) to see if you are on the optimal channel, as far as signal competition goes. You might get faster throughput by specifying a different WiFi channel, especially if you are on 2.4Ghz using default settings.

I found that with default settings my router would automatically use channel 1, and I noticed that three of the strongest nearby networks -- one almost as strong as my own -- also used channel 1. By manually selecting a higher channel I got a better WiFi network responsiveness and speeds when transferring files across the network. It might also help you get faster internet throughput between your router and computer.

Even better is if you have a dual-band router, try using 5Ghz as the default. Generally, fewer folks use 5Ghz, though the signal is weaker if you have to penetrate walls and/or go great distances.

[edited to add:] Also, make sure that both your router and computer router are 802.11n or ac. If you are using older equipment, the maximum speed is only 54Mbps on 802.11a or g. When you subtract unavoidable network overhead, you'd be lucky to manage 25Mbps actual data transfer.

Thanks "wpcoe" for your advice...

I have checked my routers wireless standard setting and it is set to 802.11b/g/n, what they refer to as "auto" I think. I am reluctant to change it to 801.11n specific, but i might try. I can always revert back if there is no difference.

I know from the app on my wife's tablet that we have at least one strong network nearby, so I'll check, as you suggest, our relative channels. Then I'll take a look at the frequencies.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

**BUMP**

Just upgraded to the 50 MB deal. No FTTH where I am, so VDSL is the logical path.

Using Draytek Gigabit modem/bridge. Cisco pppoe gateway. Shouldn't use huawei in same sentence...

5340066561.png

Not a bad result to Oz from Koh Phangan.

I see to upgrade to VDSL you need to pay a 1500bt deposit for the router. As an existing customer, what do i do with the old router that i paid a deposit on? Do they want you to return it?

I see to upgrade to VDSL you need to pay a 1500bt deposit for the router. As an existing customer, what do i do with the old router that i paid a deposit on? Do they want you to return it?

I didn't pay the 1500 baht, they were okay about letting me use my own kit. The girl may have been bending the rules. Think she likes me.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Hello, do you know if now, when applying 3bb we still have to pay for a router ?

Even if I pay 1 full year internet ahead ?

And what is the cheapest offer for VDSL now ? (no fiber in my building (too high), but VDSL ok)

Thank you.

At the bottom of the 3BB page talking their 30Mb VDSL plan it says no charge for the router.  See below Google Translate of what the page says at the bottom.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/1

Terms and conditions apply.
• One month subscription fee. • 
Free VDSL WiFi Router. 
• Discount 5,000 Baht. 
• The company reserves the right to provide service in case of speed. The connection speed is lower than that specified in the selected package. Due to technical or network factors or limitations, and the number of users at that time.

Although above 3BB web page only mentions a 30Mb VDSL plan for Bt590 they use to have, and still may have, a 50Mb VDSL plan for Bt700.  Add 7% VAT to the plans to get final monthly price.

Archived