Getting rid of an old laptop in Bangkok

jan2557

I have an old laptop (8-10 years old apple) that no longer boots up & that I can't see being worth fixing. I plan on removing the hard drive (unable to remove data & wipe electronically since I can't boot the computer), but will then need a way to get rid of the rest of it.

I'd rather not just throw it in the trash; any ideas? Also, I'm in central bangkok, so preferably somewhere convenient.

Thanks!

Throw it in the trash and it won't stay there overnight. If you want to be a nice guy, put it in a sealed plastic bag so it's in reasonably clean condition.

There are people who make a living sifting through the trash for valuables before they haul it off to the dump.

In fact, the trash I throw away at my apartment goes through several levels of "sifters". First are the apartment employees, then the guys on the garbage truck.

When I was in Malaysia I had a couple of old Lithium Ion Batteries to dispose of. I asked for days, guys at my hotel, local mall, even cop in the street....they all said...just put it in the trash and not worry. So much for global awareness of dangerous materials.

Every night around 02:00, the proper, hydraulically operated garbage truck parks in front of my apartment and spreads out the trash from surrounding apartments and houses on the street, and spends an hour or so separating everything they can sell for money.

Every morning on the soi on my way to work, I pass a similar hydraulically operated garbage truck's crew sifting through another location's trash and load the sellables into burlap sacks, and the rest into the compactor of the truck. When they leave, they do a cursory hose down of the street they have absolutely made a mess of. Pretty practical system as long as it's not your house they park in front of. The stench is eye-watering.

Edit: And that's in addition to the piles, bags and boxes of recyclables that our apartment staff breaks out before the trash gets to the street, and I suspect there's another team that goes through the stuff that actually makes it to the dump.

Tossing stuff into the trash seems to be the most efficient way to get it recycled- at least around Asoke where I live and work. I'm amazed at how much is just naturally recycled- compared to back home where the union garbage guys can make >$100K. My only concession is that I assume someone is going through my trash and I mind the confidentials like documents, etc.

Beats the heck out of tossing it into a ditch, or the ubiquitous bonfire.

Edited by impulse

It's probably worth more than you think - Apple portables hold their value well. Even if it's unrepairable, someone may well want it for parts. What model is it?

It's a 2008 MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.5 15" (08)

You think I could sell it some place like pathip?

Just toss it in the trash? Well, that certainly is a possibility....

I don't look at it that way here in BKK. I toss stuff into the recycle bin. It doubles as the trash bin.

If it's truly recyclable like an old laptop, cables, or plastic water bottles, I set it on the ground next to the recycle bin so they don't even have to root around. If I come back 30 minutes later, it's usually gone missing.

Just toss it in the trash? Well, that certainly is a possibility....

I don't look at it that way here in BKK. I toss stuff into the recycle bin. It doubles as the trash bin.

If it's truly recyclable like an old laptop, cables, or plastic water bottles, I set it on the ground next to the recycle bin so they don't even have to root around. If I come back 30 minutes later, it's usually gone missing.

I hear you -- I wasn't being flippant. I might end up doing that -- certainly would be convenient -- especially if I think it won't just end up in some landfill.