Explanation of Thai educational years request

While there's much in the press at the moment regarding the “reduction” in free schooling, although the way I read it, it's more a change in the point when the free schooling begins?

However, what I would like to know is how these confusing school years/groups work?

I keep seeing Anuban, Prathom, Mathayom. Can someone kindly explain at what ages kids learn in these groups?

The only one I know is that Anuban is pre-school”? but not really from what age it starts and finishes.

Anubahn is kindergarten grade's 1-3, Prathom is primary school Grade's 1-6, Mathyom is high school grade's 7-12. I think the 'free education' will now be all grades except M4-6.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it still doesn't mean a lot to me. I don't know if that's US school grades or UK school grades? Not that I understand either - they could be the same of different,

When I was at school in the UK (a .long time ago!), in secondary school we were labelled as years 1 -5

That's why I wanted to know the ages of the kids when they're in these Thai grade groups.

Plenty of websites converting school years

UK is Secondary school Year = Year 7=Age 11 Year 8 = Age 12 Year 12 -=age 13

Depends of course when child is born U K years start from September 1

Thailand M! -=13

Thai school year starts from May 13

Plenty of websites converting school years

UK is Secondary school Year = Year 7=Age 11 Year 8 = Age 12 Year 12 -=age 13

Depends of course when child is born U K years start from September 1

Thailand M! -=13

Thai school year starts from May 13

OK, thanks.

I think I've got it now, (depending on birthday):

Anuban age 4-6 Prathom age 7-12 Mathayom age 13-18

Sorry to be so thick about this. As someone not involved in education, I'm guessing that the US use the word "Grade" for the UK word "Year" then?

It's all been Greek to me before.

I was a teacher for 38 years in UK schools & the changeover confused me. When I was a pupil, secondary school years were numbered 1 - 5. It then went from 7 - 11 as Primary schools started at 1 - 6. Just to keep you confused Sixth forms were numbered years 12 & 13 but universally referred to as Lower & Upper sixth.

When I was a kid after you passed your 11+ at primary school, you went to grammar school.

Secondary modern schools were for the folk who were a bit thick or just lazy.

The years were called forms. First form, second form, etc.

The first five forms were spent studying for 'O' levels and the lower and upper sixth form years were for 'A' level study.

The cut off date for each year was 1st of September. It was flexible, though.

Why we ever did away with the free grammar schools is beyond me.

Sticking the thickos in with the normal kids has been a frigging disaster.

The liberal cancer of the 60s and 70s has permanently deformed western education.

Archived