Connect old hdd to computer via usb?

steelepulse

I had a new ssd put in my laptop, while my old hdd is still around and kicking. I would like to connect the hdd to the laptop as I had a lot of audio and video files on it that won't fit on the new smaller ssd.

The tech that did the work said to just get a usb to usb connection and it would be fine. However, the usb fitting over the old hdd doesn't seem to be able to slide all the way over the connection and thus a connection is never made.

Any suggestions to get the files off the hdd that is just sitting around and using it as an external drive?

I have an 8 port powered USB hub. USB has limited power and can run only a couple of devices unless it also gets power from a wall plug. Mine plugs into the wall with one cord, and into the computer with a USB cable. It never runs out of power. I have my external attached to it. It's in an ordinary external USB enclosure.

I use the hub as a docking station for my laptop. I have a full sized mouse and keyboard plugged into it (both USB wireless) and that external HDD. When I want to take my laptop I just unplug the one USB cable from the computer and walk away.

post-164212-0-82884600-1459924459_thumb.

On a related note. I have a portable hard drive with a

USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin as below. My note 3 has the same connector. I cannot find a USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin to USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin cable anywhere here in Singapore. Do they exist? If not, why?

usb_connectors_20_30.jpg

A 3.0 is much faster, even if you only have 2.0 USB connections at your machine.

Do go on.....

coffee1.gif

biggrin.png

I have two external hard drives. The one with 3.0 USB connections is much faster when copying files, etc... Am i wrong?

Edited by lostinisaan

A 3.0 is much faster, even if you only have 2.0 USB connections at your machine.

Do go on.....

coffee1.gif

biggrin.png

I have two external hard drives. The one with 3.0 USB connections is much faster when copying files, etc... Am i wrong?

Not if it's a USB 3.0 connection you aren't, no.

Let me explain Manuel.

USB 3.0 speeds require:

USB 3.0 device

USB 3.0 cable

USB 3.0 port

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chicog

On a related note. I have a portable hard drive with a

USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin as below. My note 3 has the same connector. I cannot find a USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin to USB 3.0 Micro B 10 pin cable anywhere here in Singapore. Do they exist? If not, why?

usb_connectors_20_30.jpg

i think the usb on the note is to connect to a pc, not for a potable drive to connect to the note, it would have no power supply.

I have an Oker USB to SATA/IDE cable that I got to do exactly the same thing. Think it was about 350 baht.

Thanks. Having one delivered from Lazada. They're gouging me for 440 baht smile.png

That might be right, I may have paid 450, I got it in Tukcom. Unlike the one shown for 265, the Oker comes with various options on drives and includes a power supply unit.

I have an Oker USB to SATA/IDE cable that I got to do exactly the same thing. Think it was about 350 baht.

Thanks. Having one delivered from Lazada. They're gouging me for 440 baht smile.png

That might be right, I may have paid 450, I got it in Tukcom. Unlike the one shown for 265, the Oker comes with various options on drives and includes a power supply unit.

power supply not needed as the hd gets its power from the cable

I bought one of these last year - better than a case, ~ $AUD8 from ebay

You can buy a decent one with a cover in any computer shop for the same amount of money. How do you store your external drive?

Why is your solution better than a case? Sorry, i just don't get it.

Edited by lostinisaan

That's ok if you want to stick to the one type of drive. I have used my cable to recover data from a variety of drives and some do need the power supply.

That's ok if you want to stick to the one type of drive. I have used my cable to recover data from a variety of drives and some do need the power supply.

Understand such as Ide needs the supply. Thats the food thing about SATA now dont need the extra supply. Personally I like docking stations

At that price I'm sure it's a "non-UASP capable" external enclosure. Don't worry, it will still be more than fast enough for any HDD as I don't know of any HDD that can exceed basic USB 3 speed capability. A UASP capable enclosure will usually cost around 800 to 1000 baht.

But if you ever want to put a SSD in the enclosure in order to achieve the full speed of a SSD you'll need to get a UASP capable enclosure...and of course your computers USB 3 chip will need to be UASP capable also but if the computer is not too old it probably has UASP capability. See this thread/series of posts for more info regarding "UASP"....when putting a HDD or SSD in an external enclosure.

At that price I'm sure it's a "non-UASP capable" external enclosure. Don't worry, it will still be more than fast enough for any HDD as I don't know of any HDD that can exceed basic USB 3 speed capability. A UASP capable enclosure will usually cost around 800 to 1000 baht.

But if you ever want to put a SSD in the enclosure in order to achieve the full speed of a SSD you'll need to get a UASP capable enclosure...and of course your computers USB 3 chip will need to be UASP capable also but if the computer is not too old it probably has UASP capability. See this thread/series of posts for more info regarding "UASP"....when putting a HDD or SSD in an external enclosure.

Why on earth would you think that a SATA/IDE cable is an enclosure.

Basically all a SATA/IDE to USB cable is is an SATA/IDE to USB enclosure without the pretty box/cover part....like some of my enclosure boxes...see image below of one of my SATA to USB enclosure boxes. Put some more plastic/tape/etc., around the SATA end (if you want to just to keep you from touching the electroncis) and you have a SATA to USB cable just like in post 14 and 15.

All the SATA/IDE to USB electronics are in the bulky end of the cable (the SATA/IDE connector end) like shown in Post 14 and 15 above and in my image below.

I have a couple of SATA to USB enclosure boxes...remove the box.....the cable portion has all the SATA to USB electronics just like a SATA to USB cable shown in Post 14 and 15. In fact I use the enclosure just like a "cable only" sometimes when quickly I'm swapping between a couple of drives (i.e.., I don't slip back on the pretty enclosure/box part) because I don't plan on keeping the drive in the enclosure that long.

Yeap, a SATA/IDE to USB enclosure is nothing more than a SATA/IDE to USB cable except the enclosure comes with protective drive case. And a single docking station is really just a SATA/IDE to USB cable but with a "partial" enclosure/case to hold part of the drive.....just reshaping/redesigning the end of the cable with all the electronics in it.

post-55970-0-68850800-1460446847_thumb.j

Basically all a SATA/IDE to USB cable is is an SATA/IDE to USB enclosure without the pretty box/cover part....like some of my enclosure boxes...see image below of one of my SATA to USB enclosure boxes.

One of the big problems on this forum is that there are some of us that speak native English and those that speak some other version.

It can only be an enclosure if there is a box to 'enclose' the drive. As far as an enclosure is concerned the cable part would be surplus to requirements.

Basically all a SATA/IDE to USB cable is is an SATA/IDE to USB enclosure without the pretty box/cover part....like some of my enclosure boxes...see image below of one of my SATA to USB enclosure boxes.

One of the big problems on this forum is that there are some of us that speak native English and those that speak some other version.

It can only be an enclosure if there is a box to 'enclose' the drive. As far as an enclosure is concerned the cable part would be surplus to requirements.

if the cable part is surplus how does it connect to the computer ?

if the cable part is surplus how does it connect to the computer ?

It doesn't. Enclosure doesn't mean there is any physical connection to anything.

Sheep enclosures do not have a cable to the farmhouse.

SATA to USB Adapter, Enclosure, Docking Station, etc...etc...etc...an important consideration now days is if you plan to use a "SSD" with your USB connection and want to get best speed from that SSD is to ensure you get an enclosure/adapter/docking station "with UASP" capability otherwise you loose out on a lot of the SSD speed capability on that USB connection. SSDs are becoming more common and cheaper...heck, even I have an a 480GB SSD in an external SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure.

Now for a HDD a non-UASP adapter/enclosure/docking station is just fine...even a USB 2.0 connection is fine for slower/older HDDs but you should have a USB 3 connection for current day HDDs since they can outrun a USB 2 connection somewhat.

Take a look at these two posts for some more info on USB 3.0 "UASP" compared to traditional USB 3.0 BOT (bulk transfer)....USAP capability makes all the difference when using a SSD on a USB connection.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898317-it-is-finally-here-samsung-1tb-portable-ssd-t1/?p=10473348

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898317-it-is-finally-here-samsung-1tb-portable-ssd-t1/?p=10477487

Edited by Pib