Took a drive to Ban Chang beach, what an eyesore!

giddyup

Right now they are spending in excess of 100 million baht in beautification projects on the 3 Ban Chang beaches.

But it is the same every February, March and April with the garbage washing up on the shore, most people believe it is coming down the river from Bangkok and the tides swing it round that way.

From where did you receive the information regarding 100 million. So far I've noticed they are erecting some sort of statue or other at Phala beach. Though I do admit I don't go down to the beaches very often due to their state. If this statue/monument is costing 100 million,I can only assume the same contractor is employed that was responsible for the erecting of the 7 king statues near Hue Hin.

Right now they are spending in excess of 100 million baht in beautification projects on the 3 Ban Chang beaches.

But it is the same every February, March and April with the garbage washing up on the shore, most people believe it is coming down the river from Bangkok and the tides swing it round that way.

From where did you receive the information regarding 100 million. So far I've noticed they are erecting some sort of statue or other at Phala beach. Though I do admit I don't go down to the beaches very often due to their state. If this statue/monument is costing 100 million,I can only assume the same contractor is employed that was responsible for the erecting of the 7 king statues near Hue Hin.

There is a sign erected at Nam Rin beach, 3 lots of thirty something million each part, they are extending the beach sit down areas out about 20 m towards the sea, huge wall of reinforced concrete pipes going in, big project been going for a few months already. Not the statue at Phala, i did say the 3 beaches!

• Like 1

I think this garbage comes and goes. We've been many times and never had that problem. But I've read about reports where trash was present...and for sure have seen it on other beaches in the area. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes quite bad!

Yes, it definitely comes and goes. Sometimes I've been there and seen masses, sometimes none at all.

What I dont know is whether the tide/wind moves it away or whether people do it. In Europe the municipality would have a beach cleaning machine designed for the task but I cant see that happening here.

Surf%20Rake%20on%20Nice%20Beach.jpg

• Like 1

Just to get it straight Ban chang has no beach, there are 3 nearby beaches, phala, nam rin and phayun, which of the 3 was the op talking about.

All the beaches at Ban chang are no good, they are so bad it is not worth the trip from the lovely beaches of pattaya and jomtein, where jet skies are all over the place, parking and traffic is a nightmare, as are the beach traders, all tourists in chon buri and rayong should only use the pattaya area beaches.

so to reiterate all tourists stay in Pattaya.

posted on my android device while watching the sun set on an empty, jet ski free phala beach. heaven!!

Rubbish free as well?.............smile.png

Just to get it straight Ban chang has no beach, there are 3 nearby beaches, phala, nam rin and phayun, which of the 3 was the op talking about.

All the beaches at Ban chang are no good, they are so bad it is not worth the trip from the lovely beaches of pattaya and jomtein, where jet skies are all over the place, parking and traffic is a nightmare, as are the beach traders, all tourists in chon buri and rayong should only use the pattaya area beaches.

so to reiterate all tourists stay in Pattaya.

posted on my android device while watching the sun set on an empty, jet ski free phala beach. heaven!!

Rubbish free as well?.............smile.png

yes rubbish free, know where to go, go where you know

One day soon they will invent a phone that we all carry that has a camera built in so we can take pictures rather than just describing something, therefore bringing to life the meaning behind the words...

...oh...wait...

I think this garbage comes and goes. We've been many times and never had that problem. But I've read about reports where trash was present...and for sure have seen it on other beaches in the area. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes quite bad!

Yes, it definitely comes and goes. Sometimes I've been there and seen masses, sometimes none at all.

What I dont know is whether the tide/wind moves it away or whether people do it. In Europe the municipality would have a beach cleaning machine designed for the task but I cant see that happening here.

Surf%20Rake%20on%20Nice%20Beach.jpg

I was in Pert W. Australia 3 years ago ,and saw a similar device being pulled on the beach by a tractor on Scarborough beach .Should not be that expensive .

One day soon they will invent a phone that we all carry that has a camera built in so we can take pictures rather than just describing something, therefore bringing to life the meaning behind the words...

...oh...wait...

You'll just have to take my word for it, either that or take a drive there yourself.

...oh...wait...

You'll just have to take my word for it, either that or take a drive there yourself.

I believe you for sure.

I just like to be able to see how bad it really is sometimes.

A majority of the plastic garbage in the oceans comes from here in Asia.

And 7/11's still want to give you a plastic bag for a pack of cigarettes, not that I smoke.

As well as a straw for every drink and a tiny spoon for edibles.

The waste from 7-11 alone is probably mind numbing.

Try the navy beach in Sattahip instead, 100 baht entrance fee and it's always been very clean, without doubt the best beach on this side of the coastline.

Visited Phala beach today. The airport end was fairly clean,thanks to the local restauranteur,at the other end near the pier it was a rubbish dump,walked along in one direction,too concerned for my health to make the return walk.

Halfway along saw a Thai family, approximately 8adults and a couple of children surrounded by plastic bags and assorted rubbish,some I would guess of their own making, enjoying a picnic.

• Like 1

I stayed in a hotel on Ban Chang beach in Rayong province for one week, about 20 years ago.

The place was boring because there was nothing; no bars, no restaurants, no nothing.

But the beach was perfectly clean.

Things change, not always for the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my posts 22 and 45,in which I praised the efforts of the restauranteur at the airport end of Phala. I went last week to that same spot,and with it being a holiday the area was very crowded with Thai people. The part were the Farang and Farang/ couples usually sit/ lay under the parasols,strangely not so busy,soon found out why,after ordering some food,waiting for two hours,then simple walked away after noticing the Thais further along receiving their orders.

Yesterday returned to the same stretch, immediately noticed no Farangs/ Thai couples.The reason,they had removed all the deck chairs to the section under the trees were the Thai prefer to sit and eat. Mr Thai wife asked the boss why, his reply was that he wants to look after the Thais as they spend more money drinking and eating than the foreigners and their families. Of course he is Forgetting how in the low season,it is mostly Farangs who keep his business going.

Well I for one will not return to his restaurant, this leaves me with a problem, is their another clean beach in the area that anyone can recommend?

Further to my posts 22 and 45,in which I praised the efforts of the restauranteur at the airport end of Phala. I went last week to that same spot,and with it being a holiday the area was very crowded with Thai people. The part were the Farang and Farang/ couples usually sit/ lay under the parasols,strangely not so busy,soon found out why,after ordering some food,waiting for two hours,then simple walked away after noticing the Thais further along receiving their orders.

Yesterday returned to the same stretch, immediately noticed no Farangs/ Thai couples.The reason,they had removed all the deck chairs to the section under the trees were the Thai prefer to sit and eat. Mr Thai wife asked the boss why, his reply was that he wants to look after the Thais as they spend more money drinking and eating than the foreigners and their families. Of course he is Forgetting how in the low season,it is mostly Farangs who keep his business going.

Well I for one will not return to his restaurant, this leaves me with a problem, is their another clean beach in the area that anyone can recommend?

Phayoon beach look ok. Abit garbage on the west side but look ok on the east (where there is restaurants). The water right now dont have any garbage atleast but can change with the tide.

• 1 year later...

Just to resurrect this thread, went down there yesterday for a look, probably the dirtiest beach I have seen for years.  The beaches in the heart of Pattaya are cleaner, that's a helluva statement to make.

Is it like this all the time? Do they clean it sometimes? Does it happen as in some other places after heavy rain?

The picture below shows the high tide line so it may have been washed up from sea, but the areas around the trees and roads also had rubbish blowing around in the wind.The whole area looked like a rubbish dump, I left immediately and went to Hat Nang Ram which was better.

20180228_143014.jpg

Edited by sungod

6 minutes ago, sungod said:

Just to resurrect this thread, went down there yesterday for a look, probably the dirtiest beach I have seen for years.  The beaches in the heart of Pattaya are cleaner, that's a helluva statement to make.

Is it like this all the time? Do they clean it sometimes? Does it happen as in some other places after heavy rain?

The picture below shows the high tide line so it may have been washed up from sea, but the areas around the trees and roads also had rubbish blowing around in the wind.The whole area looked like a rubbish dump, I left immediately and went to Hat Nang Ram which was better.

20180228_143014.jpg

I was there a few months back , it had been cleaned up quite nicely ! It’s certainly from the sea as the locals have really been giving it a go at being tidy . Honestly most of Thailand’s beaches are like this now . Had nam rin is only clean because the navy /soldiers clean it every day . Thailand is one big rubbish dump 

It's just the locals showing there respect for there culture and there country.

i'm all right jack,  just throw my trash  on the beach.

we care not,  im way to important to put trash in a bin.

or to teach my kids to do that.

Amazing Thailand :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Thanks, all of this was in close proximity of Phala District Office, garbage trucks parked at the rear.

I would put it down to the rains . I remember a few years back sand bags from Bangkok was washing up on the beaches . Maybe the Thais are thinking logically (?) and waiting a week to collect the rubbish instead of wasting resources going down there every day ? 

• Thanks 1

Good point, other beaches suffer due to weather/tide conditions. I'll pop back in a month and take another look, hopefully some more locals can shed a light too. Yesterday was quite sad.............

my gf and her sister took me there last year, it was jam packed with locals loving the place. for me the beach was filthy with plastic bags, food containers and discarded food everywhere. the sea was a grey colour with all sorts of trash floating in it. it was awful i'd never go there again.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

20180228_143014.jpg

Normally that part of the beach is kept very clean, Monday and Tuesday we had some helluva storms in Ban Chang so it will be a result of that, i am sure it will be pristine again in a day or two.

It is mostly trash that comes down the rivers from Bangkok and the tides propel it round the gulf to end up here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

The origin of all the trash was ?

Silly me,  it all fell to earth from the moon. 

Those moon people are just awful to export all that to

Thailand from the moon.  :coffee1:

You may enjoy Glitterman's stories about the moon cheese.

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

The origin of all the trash was ?

Silly me,  it all fell to earth from the moon. 

Those moon people are just awful to export all that to

Thailand from the moon.  :coffee1:

I checked with immigration, Moon People are not on the approved list for a visa.

10 hours ago, sungod said:

The picture below shows the high tide line so it may have been washed up from sea, but the areas around the trees and roads also had rubbish blowing around in the wind.

Its not always Thai trash , some of the plastic has travelled large distances across the ocean . I remember I found a water bottle from Vietnam on Jomtien beach among all the plastic trash . 

I try to clean up the beach once a week , it's good exercise. 

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1