Thai wife's surname not same.

A couple of weeks ago my Thai wife received a US tourist visa. Married in Thailand 2011. At her one and only interview she has ever had all they ask for was an invitation letter and my passport. Asked a few questions and that was it. Approved.

A Thai friend of hers, who is married to a man from the US, is saying that because my wife did not change her surname to mine that it will cause problems when entering the US. Immigration will have doubts about the validity of the marriage and that we need to take proof with us. Her friend claims she has seen or heard where this has been a problem.

Any credence to what she is saying? Do we need to prepare for immigration to doubt the marriage and take proof?

Thanks.

Edited by Boatman37210

She is flying half way around the world and looking forward to a smooth entry. What is the harm in carrying a few more pieces of paper if there is a chance that they may aid in the process?

Good advice as there's still a whole lot of.... less worldly people manning the US Immigration desks. Whatever paperwork was sufficient for the Embassy to issue the visa should suffice. A bit like entering a Schengen country where it's pretty mandatory that the visa application supporting paperwork will need to be sighted.

• Like 1

If it is a matter of a few pages, no problem. But, since I don't know what they will ask for it sounds like to be safe I need to carry everything that was carried to the first interview just in case they ask. That is a lot of paper.

I won't carry all that, but will carry items such as copies of marriage license and certificate, copy of bank book, invitation letter, photo album (her friend said to be sure to carry photo album). Maybe a few others.

Embassy did not ask for proof of marriage. Don't understand why immigration in the US would. My wife does have a US identification number so we can file joint tax returns. Maybe that was proof enough. Had to send in a copy of the marriage license best I can remember when I applied for the number.

Thanks.

Immigration will not care about your relationship status. They like to ask stupid questions, not for random documents.

When my TGF entered they asked her for precisely zero paperwork. This is not Guatemala you're going to. It's in the damn computer.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

She is flying half way around the world and looking forward to a smooth entry. What is the harm in carrying a few more pieces of paper if there is a chance that they may aid in the process?

Good advice as there's still a whole lot of.... less worldly people manning the US Immigration desks. Whatever paperwork was sufficient for the Embassy to issue the visa should suffice. A bit like entering a Schengen country where it's pretty mandatory that the visa application supporting paperwork will need to be sighted.

"... less worldly people ..."

Certainly seen that.

I am from a western country no need for visa in advance to enter USA. A few years back I took a team of 8 Thai MBA students to an international business competition in USA. The Thai team all applied for visas in advance, 6 of them had entered USA previously. They all got new visas with no hassle at all.

A whole different story at the arrival passport desk. I went first, all very friendly and pleasant, all stamped in in less than a minute. Then the first Thai person in the group, passport lady's attitude changed to severe abruptness and insulting abuse. Eventually after several phone calls all stamped in, but a very unpleasant experience.

My wife kept her last name as well & there were no problems at Customs at DFW. Once her passport is checked she will be required to go to the Customs office for further inspection & an "Entrance Stamp" to activate her visa.

Immigration will not care about your relationship status. They like to ask stupid questions, not for random documents.

When my TGF entered they asked her for precisely zero paperwork. This is not Guatemala you're going to. It's in the damn computer.

Guatemala is rather easier than the US for an alien to enter these days, and certainly a more pleasant experience.

Sure, if you have a US/UK/AUS passport, but that's not the point. The point is that Guatemala is the sort of country that cares about toting books of paper around and the US isn't going to care if the OP is married.

Edited by BudRight

Immigration anywhere can be tricky. I know I once took my Polish Wife to Canada. She had my Sir Name and an Approved Visa already in her Passport. We traveled together and even stepped up to the Immigration Counter together after they said this was okay.Nothing fishy about us at all. But none the less they still pulled her aside for further questioning. Must have been a slow day.

My advice to you is to bring all the documentation you have with you as Carry On. You might think like I did that having your wife with you is less problem but sometimes it is more of a problem. They get pulled out more often as they are afraid that your wife may enter legally but not go back to Thailand when planned, and they may want some convincing. That was the problem I had in my case. They simply don't want your wife going there on a Tourist Visa if she plans on staying there. What difference it makes to apply for Permanent Residence within the country, or from abroad, I don't know. I just know they don't like this.

My second piece of advice is that if you are going on an onward flight after you enter the USA, make sure you allow yourself more time just in case your wife does get singled out. If she is she will have to speak to another Immigration Officer and there is usually a line-up there. We had 4 hours between flight and just made it as they closed the doors. In a small International Airport.

My Thai wife didn't bother changing her family name when we married in Oz. On a recent trip around Europe, she (as a naturalised Oz citizen) was using her Oz passport so she could travel visa free, while I was using my UK one. We were asked a couple of times about our relationship, but our answers were accepted. Next time we travel, we'll take a copy of our Oz marriage certificate, or my Oz passport, just in case.

As a precaution, you should perhaps take a certified translation of your marriage certificate (assuming it is a Thai one). Just show it to US immigration if they ask any questions, and you'll be fine.

Edited by dbrenn

Immigration officials in most countries have the right to be as offensive as they can.

Went again to the UK with my wife. Married in the UK.

Immigration: How do you two know each other? Where did you meet?

Me: She is my wife

Immigration: Looks to me like you just met on the plane. Come this way.

Welcome to the UK

You have to remember that even though you have and have paid for the correct visa, immigration officials have the power to deny entry.

Carry documentation in English at all times. Why not?

Immigration officials in most countries have the right to be as offensive as they can.

Went again to the UK with my wife. Married in the UK.

Immigration: How do you two know each other? Where did you meet?

Me: She is my wife

Immigration: Looks to me like you just met on the plane. Come this way.

Welcome to the UK

You have to remember that even though you have and have paid for the correct visa, immigration officials have the power to deny entry.

Carry documentation in English at all times. Why not?

I'm sorry but Immigration Officials in most countries don't "have the right to be as offensive as they can", they do have the right to be robust with their questioning and to ensure that those with entry clearance still comply with immigration rules, indeed they are expected to do so.

They are, however, expected to do so in a courteous manner, only once has my girlfriend been treated in an offensive manner in the years we've been travelling to the UK, and I called the guy on it there and then.

You do make a valid point that a Border Force Officer can still deny a person Entry Clearance landing, but of course can only do so in certain circumstances and then only with the approval of a manager.

• Like 1

My Thai wife didn't bother changing her family name when we married in Oz. On a recent trip around Europe, she (as a naturalised Oz citizen) was using her Oz passport so she could travel visa free, while I was using my UK one. We were asked a couple of times about our relationship, but our answers were accepted. Next time we travel, we'll take a copy of our Oz marriage certificate, or my Oz passport, just in case.

As a precaution, you should perhaps take a certified translation of your marriage certificate (assuming it is a Thai one). Just show it to US immigration if they ask any questions, and you'll be fine.

Why would they inquire about your names? Afterall it's more and more common around the world that married couples can adopt/use the name of their spouse or chose not to do so at all. So there should be nothing strange about a couple with two different surnames. Besides that just the same surname proofs little: your partner cuold actually be a family member (adopted, the partner of your brother/sister etc.) so if maritial status would be of any importance then maritial papers would be the only way to show that there is a legal marriage making you eachothers official partner. Though for tourist purposes (tourist visa or visa free travel) in Europe your relation tot eacother shouldn't be of any importance. You are just two tourists who happen to be married but gain/lose zero from that status.