Windows 10 start button

Suradit69

I have windows 10 Home edition installed on a computer purchased a few weeks ago (after several very annoying crashes with my previous Windows 7 computer).

All was well with Windows 10 until today when the task bar icons for Edge & MS Store went black and are unusable, which is no problem, but also hitting the Windows key or left-clicking on the Windows icon does not bring up the usual search window and Cortana seems to have died.

I've installed nothing new and Windows update hasn't done anything recently. Everything else seems to be working properly, although it's a problem starting some programs/ apps without the search window.

I've tried restarting, an option still available by right-clicking on the windows icon, doing a system restore and following a couple of suggestions found via Google messing around with the Powershell ... apparently this is not an uncommon problem ... but the problem remains.

For awhile the task manager wasn't responding either, but that seems to have corrected itself.

Any relatively simple fixes that anyone knows of to get the Windows search going again. Cortana, Edge and the MS Store I can live without.

TIA

AFAIK Cortana is not supported if using a Thai IP address and that probably would include store also. Can Edge be a activate by left click window/all apps/Microsoft Edge? That is how I would get if wanted to use it. Right click on window provides menu which has search as an option so click on that to get search screen.

Thanks. This was one of the "solutions" I tried, at least the first couple of parts. I was hoping something simpler ( or better yet a one-click MS fix) was possible before I get in too deep. The more complex the solution the more wary I am of further mucking it up.

AFAIK Cortana is not supported if using a Thai IP address and that probably would include store also. Can Edge be a activate by left click window/all apps/Microsoft Edge? That is how I would get if wanted to use it. Right click on window provides menu which has search as an option so click on that to get search screen.

The store and Cortana (for typing in questions) and Edge were working before.

I had some problems the past couple of days with my 3BB connection. Yesterday it stopped working entirely a couple of times. Today it's working pretty well. Could 3BB have reset something while fixing whatever the problem had been?

Is it something I could correct/change or reset? As is probably obvious my computer skills are limited.

Nothing happens when I left click the windows icon so I can't get to clicking on "all apps."

I get this sometimes and none of the solutions work for me. I just restore an image.

I have an Intel NUC box I use for a media center. Installed Windows 10 on it and worked perfectly for a few weeks. Then, as the OP, the start menu no longer responded to left mouse click nor the quick start toolbar or the Windows key. If you Google windows 10 start menu not working there are a lot of hits on it, many with long lists of things to try including registry modification.

Since it is used only as a media center and very few programs on it, I just reloaded 10 on it. Perhaps I'll backup an image as it is now stable and I just reinstalled a week ago. Will watch this topic to see if anyone came up with a quick fix for future reference.

I tried one more thing ... at this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/fix-windows-10-taskbar-not-working-fix-build-10074/6b13e8b6-b30b-4e80-aa7c-a4a3939195ea?page=2&auth=1

You have to scroll down the page a bit to reach this.

This seemed to work for some of the issues. Not sure if everything has been solved but it looks promising.

4. Open the next folder:
C:/Users/YOURusername/AppData/Local/

5. Press [Windows Key] + R, (Run Command), type services.msc and hit ENTER:

Search for tiledatamodelsvc (Tile Data model server) , right-click and click [Stop].
Now you should delete the TileDataLayer folder entirely.

If you can't delete the folder at once: Press again [Stop] again and again. Until you will completely delete this folder TileDataLayer.
Restart your PC.

post-145917-0-77177300-1459959191_thumb.

After doing what was suggested in the above post I restarted the computer.

My taskbar is now working as expected and the Windows key or left clicking on the icon works again.

Edge and MS Store disappeared, but that's OK with me.

Not sure if this is a permanent solution, but it worked.

I get this sometimes and none of the solutions work for me. I just restore an image.

If you Google windows 10 start menu not working there are a lot of hits on it, many with long lists of things to try including registry modification.

Yes tried them all without success - only takes me 3 minutes to restore an image from less than an hour ago though so can live with it.

I installed win 10 free upgrade and in a month it started doing its own thing.i couldn't even install the win 8.1 again.windows 10 ain't quite right after updates and are auto and seem to mess it up.had a pal reinstall win 8.1 somehow and it's fine now.

My taskbar is now working as expected and the Windows key or left clicking on the icon works again.

Are they still in the start menu?

In which case you can right click and add them back to the Taskbar if you want (although I never use the Store).

Are they still in the start menu?

In which case you can right click and add them back to the Taskbar if you want (although I never use the Store).

I assume that he'd know how to do that. Mrs. Chicog. BTW, your hair looks fantastic today.....thumbsup.gif

Try "classic shell", loads of better options.

Yeah. And use Everything https://www.voidtools.com/ for searching. Turn off Cortana http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/switch-cortana-on-or-off. Turn off the spying: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/. You're golden.

Try "classic shell", loads of better options.

The issue also affects the clock and not sure what else.

Everything else seems to be working properly

Different aspects of the issue come and go over time e.g. see the OP re the task manager etc. Classic Shell ain't going to solve it.

Different aspects of the issue come and go over time e.g. see the OP re the task manager etc. Classic Shell ain't going to solve it.

. . . the task manager . . . seems to have corrected itself.

. . . the task manager . . . seems to have corrected itself.

Like I said, it comes and goes. Maybe you can quote something related to "Cortana, Edge and the MS Store"?

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys,

The availability of Microsoft Windows 10 promotion code will be good news for you. In addition, your start menu will be familiar, yet it will be expanded as compared to the previous versions of Windows operating systems. You will also discover great new ways to get things done not just through a single device, but also across multiple devices. The personal digital assistant Cortana will make your life easier and she will act understanding your moves on the system. The all-new browser Edge will give a new experience as compared to earlier, IE browser under Windows.

Windows 10 Home Promo Codes

Hello Guys,

The availability of Microsoft Windows 10 promotion code will be good news for you. In addition, your start menu will be familiar, yet it will be expanded as compared to the previous versions of Windows operating systems. You will also discover great new ways to get things done not just through a single device, but also across multiple devices. The personal digital assistant Cortana will make your life easier and she will act understanding your moves on the system. The all-new browser Edge will give a new experience as compared to earlier, IE browser under Windows.

Windows 10 Home Promo Codes

Hello, matthewcrim (with only one post). I'd never dream of a new poster being a spammer, so I am extremely grateful to see such useful promo codes:

post-33251-0-77219800-1466679195_thumb.g

Such an amazing deal: the amazing opportunity to purchase a $50 Microsoft gift card for only $50! I can only imagine what the regular regular price must be. thumbsup.gif