Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

I went on Monday. Parking was slow and involved going up many levels (following Thai drivers who, as usual, seem very unwilling to drive faster than the average cripple can walk).

I started working downwards from the food court and completely lost interest about 3 floors further down. Surely the most boring mall ever invented. Probably ideal for the average local consumer who just wants to buy a new 200B smartphone cover though, and there were at least 50 shops selling them.

I wasted an hour of my life and I want it back.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not recommend going to any mall in Thailand on the weekend if it can be avoided. As to the new Harbor in Pattaya, I had a look-see the other morning and it seems a nice enough place. The first couple floors are your typical mix of coffee shops (Starbucks, ABP, Coffee World, etc) and restos, with a particular emphasis on Japanese places (but not the big names like Fuji, Zen, Hachiban but more second tier names that I didn't recognize).

I too noticed the absence of some big restaurants such as Fuji and MK, then the reason came to me. The mall is too narrow to accommodate restaurants like these which need a fair bit of depth for seating space. Shabushi and some other well known brands seemed poorly laid out due to being too narrow and long. I really don't understand why Harbor Mall didn't try to get a wider plot of land to build on.

Yes it is a long narrow land plot they had to work with. The one major Japanese branded resto they do have is an outlet of Shabushi by Oishi buffet place.

Yes, I actually ate there the other night. Being so long and narrow it was very poorly laid out and required long walks to get certain items depending on where you were seated. They obviously decided it's good enough, but MK, Zen and Fuji wouldn't be able to work with that narrow area.

The name say it all...it's "Value Max" I believe. Their target is the more value oriented Thai and foreign shopper and so they have a very limited selection of imported stuff. For those things, one still has to make the rounds of Villa, Gourmet Market, and Foodland. However, it's nice having a cluster of two supermarkets right next to each other (and three very close with Big C Extra just down the block). The addition of at least four coffee shops as well is a nice convience factor as well.

I didn't realise it was open 24 hours. That will be useful on my Foodland late night shopping trips - checking out the specials.

I went on Monday. Parking was slow and involved going up many levels (following Thai drivers who, as usual, seem very unwilling to drive faster than the average cripple can walk).

I started working downwards from the food court and completely lost interest about 3 floors further down. Surely the most boring mall ever invented. Probably ideal for the average local consumer who just wants to buy a new 200B smartphone cover though, and there were at least 50 shops selling them.

I wasted an hour of my life and I want it back.

Obviously preferences in malls varies. I found it pleasant and will give it another try tonight LOL. It's a great mall for dining options, but not so good for branded clothing options and sales that my wife loves at Central. It'll cut back on my spending a bit.biggrin.png

The name say it all...it's "Value Max" I believe. Their target is the more value oriented Thai and foreign shopper and so they have a very limited selection of imported stuff. For those things, one still has to make the rounds of Villa, Gourmet Market, and Foodland. However, it's nice having a cluster of two supermarkets right next to each other (and three very close with Big C Extra just down the block). The addition of at least four coffee shops as well is a nice convience factor as well.

I didn't realise it was open 24 hours. That will be useful on my Foodland late night shopping trips - checking out the specials.

you will actually walk back and forth comparing prices/specials to save a few baht ?

Another same-same mall would be boring --- but in a different location so can be convenient to people on that side of town. Plus if you are coffee-shop-jumping to work on your laptop, another place to hunker down is good. You could cycle between all the coffee shops once a week :)

I have yet to check it out, but if someone could do me a HUGE favour and let me know three things (yes, I'm greedy):

1) Is there really a Tummour there? (SP, Thai restaurant)

2) Anyone have a clue on what kind of fitness center?

3) How are the desert offerings there? (My GF is addicted to honey toast... yes.. her.. not me.. *cough*)

Thank you!

you will actually walk back and forth comparing prices/specials to save a few baht ?

(It's quite annoying when people make assumptions and then try to make you look silly in the process - on a forum that's called baiting)

NO!!!!!!

They have prepared, cooked food at Value Max. They don't have that at Foodland. I would go there first to see what they have on offer and have a walk around looking for specials. I'm talking about special specials. Buy one get one free. 50% discounts etc. That's more than a few baht saved - and they have those type of deals at Value Max, which you will discover if you go there. I'm not talking about cost comparisons of a few baht here and there.

For example, my wife is into the cooked crab, fish and shrimp. It's not bad if you can get them for half price and we don't cook that type of food at home. They don't have many good specials at Foodland, but they do at Value Max. We got a few buy one get one free specials the other day.

I hope you understand now...

A post and a reply have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I may have missed it but no-one has mentioned the opening times yet? Is it 11am like Central or more like 9am, like Big C extra? I know most places in Big C extra open around 10am, so similar time to this is handy for me.

I may have missed it but no-one has mentioned the opening times yet? Is it 11am like Central or more like 9am, like Big C extra? I know most places in Big C extra open around 10am, so similar time to this is handy for me.

The official opening time is 10 a.m., however, as mentioned, the supermarket is open 24/7 and several of the coffee shops open at 7.

I'll soon be moving from the Darkside to behind Big C Extra. So the Max Value takeout food appeals (was a regular at a Bangkok outlet) as does the (future) ice rink. I'm going to buy some skates back home (that'd be Canada) and take up skating again for some exercise. Hope it'll have some decent skating room.

Overall, the new mall sounds serviceable.

Only did a quick walk-through. Not a mall-guy anyway, but was disappointed. Looks like one of the medium class, older Philippines malls.

The only mall that I felt was "something special" is TERMINAL 21 in BKK. The Pattaya version might be the new place to go soon. :-) MS>

Only did a quick walk-through. Not a mall-guy anyway, but was disappointed. Looks like one of the medium class, older Philippines malls.

The only mall that I felt was "something special" is TERMINAL 21 in BKK. The Pattaya version might be the new place to go soon. :-) MS>

Lol where was that old mall in the Philippines? I think you were walking too fast.

In wouldn't describe it as a "medium class old" mall. It's not, and doesn't aspire to be, a Central Mall, Siam Paragon, MBK, or even Royen, that's obvious. It's a local neighborhood mall with stores and resto outlets that are of use mainly to locals. There aren't flashy brand name clothing, cosmetic, or restaurant brands. However, there is a supermarket, coffee shops, phone shops, kids activities, etc. I think it will be quite useful and convient for its target market.

I didn't mention that there are also outletsnof Boots and Watson's, so a couple pharmacies and toiletries outlets to add to the convience mix and there's also an iStudio for Apple fanboys.

To those naysayers, I wonder if they visited or have gone to Tukcom. Now there's a real dump and fire trap. That place should be closed as a safety hazard(and I say that as a Tukcom customer). Harbor offers a pleasant shopping experience with IT stores, banks, restaurants and a food market but geared towards families so if you don't like kids this is not your place. I think Harbor may have found a niche in the market but only time will tell. Of interest to me is the coming Fitness center but the size, scope and offerings is still an unknown.

Was there on Tuesday just to see it---my first and last time!! It's a crowded, low end mall with mostly mom & pops who will be out of business before long. The one good thing was the Japanese Max Value market.

There are some of what you call "mom and pop" stores, especially in the resto and snack areas, however, I would guess that at least 70 percent of the mall's tenants are established Thai and international brand (of course excluding the small vendors in the IT and mobile phone sections).

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I didn't mention that there are also outletsnof Boots and Watson's,

And very conveniently located right next to each other - very useful when making price comparisons, as we and I'm sure a lot of other people often do.

If they don't arrange undercover parking for motorcycles I won't be going anywhere near there in wet weather. The way it is currently set up could require a long walk in the rain once you've found a park.

I didn't mention that there are also outletsnof Boots and Watson's,

And very conveniently located right next to each other - very useful when making price comparisons, as we and I'm sure a lot of other people often do.

Yes, similar to having 7's and Family Marts on opposite corners :)

Remember they buildinig Terminal 12 on Nakluea rd. That be fun too

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

I thought Term.21

Thats the new one next to the new one...

Count on minimum of 2-3 years for construction.

If it's anything like the Foodland on Thepprasit Road make that 5-6 years.

They bulding Big C on sukumvit. Jomtien area near Ambasador.

And there is one shopping mall being build in east pattaya in soi khao noi.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

I did a walk past the Ambassador a few days ago. Just South, that huge lot has been cleared and quite a bit of work has been done. The klong (err...poop river) has been put back on it's original course, through the Ambassador and out towards The View. It's a huge piece of property. I saw an old plane there also.

We've heard rumors of a mall, but nothing definitive yet. I'd be soooooo happy not to have to go to Pattaya any more for groceries! LOL