Nightmare at Chalong Circle

chercheur888

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres wishing the best to all the buisiness south of the circle.

You might be right, but those on the north side might have the same problem, and as Tesco and Makro are on the south side, the south might make more business as less people will venture north of the circle. Maybe they will have better business on the south side.

They dropped the power line on the ground now and some of them are hanging out on bellini's now broken sign

professionals

Food any good there at Bellinis (?) been a couple different Ital owners but if I'm going to be stuck might as well get a pizza.....

Time to move to Khao Lak !

Need to import some good pubs and girls though.............

You won't find whores in Khao Lak. Best you stay in Patong.

As for the 'dreadful' conditions outside Villa/Homepro, wonderful! Traffic slowed and was even able to cross the road without getting mowed down by some selfish <deleted> in a Single Person Occupancy vehicle today. Hope it goes way over the timeline, as predicted smile.png

They dropped the power line on the ground now and some of them are hanging out on bellini's now broken sign

professionals

Food any good there at Bellinis (?) been a couple different Ital owners but if I'm going to be stuck might as well get a pizza.....

there's a recent review somewhere on the forum

Non-thaivisa rules infringing answer is, you can eat elsewhere.

As it turned out, I HAD to go to Villa (from Rawai) this a.m. It was relatively early (just before 9 a.m.) and there was no traffic at all - not even cars were queuing!

So at the moment, Chalong Circle is still fine over the weekend, earlyish in the morning.

I agree. This morning is turned left at the circle onto PTT to gas up. Then back to circle and left to 3BB. Then straight on to Makro. All quite easy traffic flow.

They advertised this closure in the local press the day before, and included the times the road would be closed. People shouldn't be

surprised that the project seems to be finally getting under way.

We were told some time ago that about 100 power poles had to be moved so it comes as no surprise that they are actually

doing it, albeit some time later than advertised.

First was the drainage, now they are moving the posts and widening the road (both sides?) and then they will start digging the

tunnel in the middle two lanes. Traffic should be able to continue to flow either side.

I don't know what will happen when the hole gets to the circle itself.

It's a pity that instead of creating new side roads to avoid the roadworks, they are actually closing some alternatives.

They advertised this closure in the local press the day before, and included the times the road would be closed. People shouldn't be

surprised that the project seems to be finally getting under way.

We were told some time ago that about 100 power poles had to be moved so it comes as no surprise that they are actually

doing it, albeit some time later than advertised.

First was the drainage, now they are moving the posts and widening the road (both sides?) and then they will start digging the

tunnel in the middle two lanes. Traffic should be able to continue to flow either side.

I don't know what will happen when the hole gets to the circle itself.

It's a pity that instead of creating new side roads to avoid the roadworks, they are actually closing some alternatives.

Went this morning shortly after 8 am and again shortly before 2 pm, very smooth. Why do they need to make the underpass? Haha

I know of course that normally on weekends traffic is less.

They moved some posts by about 1 meter. Lets wait and see when the real digging starts.

Side roads would have been better, but I don't believe in miracles here.

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a post on the underpass progress for a while, possibly because very little seems to be happening at Chalong. The last few times I've driven past there have been precisely zero people working in front of Homepro. Fortunately the traffic isn't as bad as many of us expected, especially when the police aren't in control!

With one lane open at Tesco and a theoretical million baht a day penalty clause in play, you'd think they'd be making an effort to get the whole of that project completed but driving past around 6:30pm two nights ago, the site was as deserted as the one at Chalong, and waspretty quiet when I passed on Friday afternoon.

Contrast this with the Thepkasattri Road underpass, where during the day the number of workers must have been well into three figures and with many working after dark, and it makes you wonder how Civil Engineering got the contracts for the other two projects, and my only guess would be that their brown envelopes were larger than their competitors'.

Do others see this the same way or have I just happened to pass these projects at the wrong times?

Haven't had a post on the underpass progress for a while, possibly because very little seems to be happening at Chalong. The last few times I've driven past there have been precisely zero people working in front of Homepro. Fortunately the traffic isn't as bad as many of us expected, especially when the police aren't in control!

With one lane open at Tesco and a theoretical million baht a day penalty clause in play, you'd think they'd be making an effort to get the whole of that project completed but driving past around 6:30pm two nights ago, the site was as deserted as the one at Chalong, and waspretty quiet when I passed on Friday afternoon.

Contrast this with the Thepkasattri Road underpass, where during the day the number of workers must have been well into three figures and with many working after dark, and it makes you wonder how Civil Engineering got the contracts for the other two projects, and my only guess would be that their brown envelopes were larger than their competitors'.

Do others see this the same way or have I just happened to pass these projects at the wrong times?

You are 100% correct in all points.

Thinking the same everyday when i pass these sides.

The circle tunnel is having problems because the electrical poles have to be moved to private land and that wasnt anticipated unfortunately.

The tunnel builders cant proceed until PEA can make deals to put poles on private land or aquire the land.

The circle tunnel is having problems because the electrical poles have to be moved to private land and that wasnt anticipated unfortunately.

The tunnel builders cant proceed until PEA can make deals to put poles on private land or aquire the land.

Piss Poor Planing - no surprise there. Have to agree that so far there has been not much disruption to the usual slow (at times) traffic flow. I make sure I go nowhere near the circle at peak times and I coming from Kata I have found traffic light.

This post made me laugh out loud! Is it true? It would explain why so little work is being done.

Not that I'm complaining, as traffic around Chalong Circle is nowhere near as bad as expected smile.png .

The underpass is open, no penality even if its just one side

Wrong. The penalty clause applies up to the completion of the project, not one side of the underpass. Have a look at previous press releases.

Would you waive a penalty clause on a house build if they finished three of the four walls?

Probably a moot point anyway because they've probably agreed a deal that satisfies all parties!

Since this thread seems to be drifting, I saw something at the completed tunnel near Central Festival yesterday that really scared me.

Going northbound, in the past, the green light has been on for 2 of the 3 lanes.

Yesterday, there was only 1 lane with a green arrow and 2 had the red X's.

BUT, this didn't seem to bother a few drivers who drove in the middle (red X) lane anyway!

So, if drivers are going to ignore the lights and drive where they want to, how long before a head on catastrophe there?

I vowed to always stay in the far left lane from now on.

I imagine after a crash in there, or two, they will erect dividers for the irresponsible <deleted> who can't understand any need for obeying the lights.

Since this thread seems to be drifting, I saw something at the completed tunnel near Central Festival yesterday that really scared me.

Going northbound, in the past, the green light has been on for 2 of the 3 lanes.

BUT, this didn't seem to bother a few drivers who drove in the middle (red X) lane anyway!

So, if drivers are going to ignore the lights and drive where they want to, how long before a head on catastrophe there?

I imagine after a crash in there, or two, they will erect dividers for the irresponsible <deleted> who can't understand any need for obeying the lights.

Saw exactly that yesterday, we were over taken by a ute travelling twice the speed of everyone else and in the centre lane with large red X above it.

How crazy can you be? Unfortunately there will be head on crashes with these loonies.

Could they foul up the Tesco/ Lotus intersection any worse for traffic while they supposedly finish it off?

Saw exactly that yesterday, we were over taken by a ute travelling twice the speed of everyone else and in the centre lane with large red X above it.

How crazy can you be? Unfortunately there will be head on crashes with these loonies.

Could they foul up the Tesco/ Lotus intersection any worse for traffic while they supposedly finish it off?

I think the answer for the Central tunnel is to sacrifice the middle lane, put a proper crash barrier down the middle to separate the remaining 2 lanes, and use the space gained for breakdown lanes of sorts on each side.

Three lanes was never going to work in this country!

Same this morning.

Same this morning.

As I have mentioned in another threat about underpasses in Phuket, this is precisely the reason why I will never ever use an underpass in Phuket as long as above ground solution is available.

Concerning the Chalong underpass, from what I see, I would be surprised if they would start the actual digging for the underpass before 2017, and I am being optimistic.

I think the answer for the Central tunnel is to sacrifice the middle lane, put a proper crash barrier down the middle to separate the remaining 2 lanes, and use the space gained for breakdown lanes of sorts on each side.

A "breakdown/accident recovery vehicle" lane? What a good idea! thumbsup.gif

Nah, let the cops take "control"... rolleyes.gif

A "breakdown/accident recovery vehicle" lane? What a good idea! thumbsup.gif

Nah, let the cops take "control"... rolleyes.gif

Yikes!

The last time I went through someone had broken down just outside the tunnel heading north, completely blocking the inside lane. He did the right thing by getting out of his car to make a phone call, but didn't step over the railing for safety.

Instead he stood at the rear of his car next to the boot (trunk). Exactly the right place to get squashed by any vehicle who didn't see him or was travelling too fast to stop!.