Nightmare at Chalong Circle

chercheur888

5 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Tailback for two hours, when and where? do you sit in the tailback getting stressed and angry?

There are other threads on the subject. Did you read this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959122-phuket-highways-chief-calls-for-patience-as-chalong-underpass-construction-begins/#comment-11433710

Fortunately, I live north of the circle and yet my life is now affected by the need to avoid going south altogether,  or the necessity to make long detours. I do this so I don't get caught up in the jams. Others have no choice because of work or school commitments and  my comments are more about them.

If I do happen to get caught up in traffic I do get angry at the stupidity of it all.

As you may have previously perceived I have no patience for stupid people.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other threads on the subject. Did you read this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959122-phuket-highways-chief-calls-for-patience-as-chalong-underpass-construction-begins/#comment-11433710

Fortunately, I live north of the circle and yet my life is now affected by the need to avoid going south altogether,  or the necessity to make long detours. I do this so I don't get caught up in the jams. Others have no choice because of work or school commitments and  my comments are more about them.

If I do happen to get caught up in traffic I do get angry at the stupidity of it all.

As you may have previously perceived I have no patience for stupid people.

You must love it here and every other place on the planet, "stupid is as stupid does"

40 minutes ago, madmitch said:

But...

"Construction will start after January 2016,” confirmed Department of Highways Project Engineer Chalermpon Wongkietkun this week.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/construction-of-phuket-chalong-underpass-not-to-start-until-next-year-54343.php

Edited by JetsetBkk

22 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I never even thought about using a map here, but might have to consider.  What app is that JetsetBkk?

I think it must be Google Maps. I don't recall setting up any request for traffic delays near my house, but I remember months ago someone showing me this function, so maybe I set it up then, or maybe it's automatic.

This is the first time I've received one of these messages. If you run Google Maps and click on the three bars at top left, there is a "Traffic" menu item which turns blue when you tap it and then you can see traffic on the map. I don't know how to show what the colours mean, but a lot of Patong roads are red!

It seems that Google Maps has been giving traffic delay info for some months, at least. 

I have seen traffic areas coloured amber as well, for areas with less congestion. 

I'm sure Google will have details of it online. 

I installed waze which is a peer to peer map program for traffic and it shows all the slow areas and the average speed.  Going into the circle from all directions it's 5-6 kph and on the rawai speedway it showed about 15 kph from lemon gas then as you get closer to the circle, 5 kph.  Wonderful!

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I installed waze which is a peer to peer map program for traffic and it shows all the slow areas and the average speed.  Going into the circle from all directions it's 5-6 kph and on the rawai speedway it showed about 15 kph from lemon gas then as you get closer to the circle, 5 kph.  Wonderful!

google map is waze

they were bought years ago and use the same system except waze is clustered with more options.

1 hour ago, bearpolar said:

google map is waze

they were bought years ago and use the same system except waze is clustered with more options.

I tried Waze several months ago, but uninstalled it for some reason. Can't remember what that was. facepalm.gif

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Tailback well before the Big Buddha turning coming south today.

I now cut across to Chao Fah East by turning left at Kwang road (4021) traffic lights - the dead straight road with traffic lights at either end.

Any idea for a shortcut going northbound from Rawai ?

The only I can imagine is route 3025 (through Orchid Farm) and later go back down through Patak, but it seems a bad idea....

Unbelievable that they did not create some  bypass alternative before starting the works !

22 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Any idea for a shortcut going northbound from Rawai ?

The only I can imagine is route 3025 (through Orchid Farm) and later go back down through Patak, but it seems a bad idea....

Unbelievable that they did not create some  bypass alternative before starting the works !

As I wrote, what I sometimes do is from Rawai to Kata to Chalong.

10 hours ago, federicoP said:

I posted this 18 months ago:

new roads  .JPG

Looks like the Phuket Highway Planning Department never saw it. facepalm.gif

This would take all the traffic from Central to Patong away from the circle. They could also force traffic from Phuket town that goes down Chao Fah East to turn at Kwang road and join Chao Fah West if they want to go to Patong, rather than go down to the circle.

57 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I posted this 18 months ago:

new roads  .JPG

Looks like the Phuket Highway Planning Department never saw it. facepalm.gif

This would take all the traffic from Central to Patong away from the circle. They could also force traffic from Phuket town that goes down Chao Fah East to turn at Kwang road and join Chao Fah West if they want to go to Patong, rather than go down to the circle.

Far too sensible and would require forward planning  ...

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

How long and how much time would it take to contact the owners of the land and then agree a price?

Impractical.

I know, but if they'd started two years ago or two decades ago, but Thais are not renown for their forward thinking.

How long and how much time would it take to contact the owners of the land and then agree a price?
Impractical.

Agreed prices lol.
Thais love government land appropriation. It's the equivalent to winning lotto but better. Hold out and wait for desperate settlement resolution.
Just look what happened to the inside lane in front of that water tank shop on Wiset Rd for years. He won in the end.
Same thing is happening now but even more spectacular.
Not only is the Marine engineering shop squeezing the project. It's the police accommodation extensions. Even they are resisting for compensation.
The old corner bar shop landlords also need to be settled with. Those poles still need to go back 3 metres.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Agreed prices lol.
Thais love government land appropriation. It's the equivalent to winning lotto but better. Hold out and wait for desperate settlement resolution.
Just look what happened to the inside lane in front of that water tank shop on Wiset Rd for years. He won in the end.
Same thing is happening now but even more spectacular.
Not only is the Marine engineering shop squeezing the project. It's the police accommodation extensions. Even they are resisting for compensation.
The old corner bar shop landlords also need to be settled with. Those poles still need to go back 3 metres.

Isn't there a form of compulsory purchase that has to be signed off by the king? I can understand why nothing has been done for the last few years, but things have changed. I presume Phuket is too insignificant.

Just Googled it:

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=4yFQ97577BAC&pg=PA305&lpg=PA305&dq=compulsory+land+purchase+in+thailand&source=bl&ots=1krxZtqivz&sig=q5N4SfUTre4mmQ9QxAKk5T5PeDI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ6LmtiaPRAhWHuI8KHfvoAbQQ6AEIHjAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shortened URL:  goo.gl/P7kKsk

Page 328:

Compulsory Land Purchase Screenshot 17-01-02 15-50-52.jpg

etc., etc.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Isn't there a form of compulsory purchase that has to be signed off by the king? I can understand why nothing has been done for the last few years, but things have changed. I presume Phuket is too insignificant.

Just Googled it:

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=4yFQ97577BAC&pg=PA305&lpg=PA305&dq=compulsory+land+purchase+in+thailand&source=bl&ots=1krxZtqivz&sig=q5N4SfUTre4mmQ9QxAKk5T5PeDI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ6LmtiaPRAhWHuI8KHfvoAbQQ6AEIHjAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shortened URL:  goo.gl/P7kKsk

Page 328:

586a1531de1d0_CompulsoryLandPurchaseScreenshot17-01-0215-50-52.jpg.cdfed93cd1a53f0ec9f38fd17e37d77e.jpg
etc., etc.

I don't know anything about the legal framework. Who trusts that anyway? Corrupt system will sue itself for profit.
All you have to do is look at the wiset rd widening years ago. That caused deaths and injuries through that guys greed so where was that law then?

I'm sure they will clear up this legal land acquisition fast because it's a much bigger project. So much face at stake but you can't blame the land owners. I would hold out too. It's just sad that this wasn't calculated in the planning stages. Shows that it was rushed through for whatever reason. [emoji55]

4 minutes ago, sebastion said:

All you have to do is look at the wiset rd widening years ago. That caused deaths and injuries through that guys greed so where was that law then?

I remember that very well. Went on for years. They eventually put up a dirty great illuminated arrow sign. What a joke. facepalm.gif

Sorry, but, just why would the government spend (waste) tax payer's money on purchasing land for this hypothetical road when it's just a temporary problem. Once the underpass is finished, why would this road be needed? Seems incredibly wasteful. Better to inconvenience the public for three years. The public are already used to inconvenience anyway.