Would you buy a 30sqm ghetto for US$200,000 in your own country?

Someone on another thread mentioned that condos in Melbourne are now cheaper than in Bangkok. Comparing prices to prime downtown areas of Toronto I tend to agree.

The problem with Bangkok is that's it's a ghetto. No matter how much landscaping you try to fake with the building or the amenities or proximity to BTS, when you go outside you are still surrounded with 3rd world infrastructure. Not to mention that the quality construction of the building itself is often lacking.

So, if you would not buy a 30sqm ghetto for US$200,000 in your own country, why would you buy it in Bangkok?

Agree with you 200% Why spend stupid money on a ghetto condo.I feel only people with to much money should even consider it. A ghetto is a ghetto. But there are also people who want to live in ghettos mansions.Do not know why but some do.

USD200k wont buy you a car parking space in London, let alone any sort of condo. That said, it's a total mystery to me why anyone would ever want to live in Bangkok or buy property there. I wouldnt do it if I was paid to.

If I had $200k spare, I wouldn't spend it in Thailand.

$50k on a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol', and 10 years living expenses.

You're going to buy "a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol',", for 35k Pounds, really, and what might that gem look like may I ask!

$50k on a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol', and 10 years living expenses.

You're going to buy "a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol',", for 35k Pounds, really, and what might that gem look like may I ask!

Something like this one would suspect.

post-118612-14600281534878_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1460028143.461252.jpg

To be honest, looks like a better construction than anything in Thailand.

Nah, look, you can buy a British construction British designed house in Bolton for under 5,000 Pounds, great quality but it needs some work, just like the one in the picture - BUT, would you live there, a scary thought.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/13899770.From___11_750_to_almost___1_5_million___the_6_cheapest_and_most_expensive_properties_in_Bolton/

If there is a baht bus or bts within 100 meters Im in!!-

Yes.... so the price of property someone is willing to pay is based on?

200k will not buy you a parking space in London? Is this perhaps an exaggeration? How much is the average Bachelor flat in central London?

I think that GBP300k is a minimum for a studio in central London, except possibly for something on a very short lease. Something "average" will cost more. Something nice will cost more again.

Garage parking is also around GBP300k.

an utmost lame and silly comment coffee1.gif

200k will not buy you a parking space in London? Is this perhaps an exaggeration? How much is the average Bachelor flat in central London?

"If you have a spare million quid.. You can buy this old public crapper...

"Former public toilet in east London goes on sale for 1 million pounds"

post-39406-0-05129400-1460030332_thumb.j

"At £1,666 per square foot, the toilet doesn't come cheap" laugh.pnglaugh.png

I think that GBP300k is a minimum for a studio in central London, except possibly for something on a very short lease. Something "average" will cost more. Something nice will cost more again.

Garage parking is also around GBP300k.

I would of thought nearer 400k for a Studio in Central London..., unless it's somewhere like Elephant and Castle....which is not the nicest of areas....

USD200k wont buy you a car parking space in London, let alone any sort of condo. That said, it's a total mystery to me why anyone would ever want to live in Bangkok or buy property there. I wouldnt do it if I was paid to.

Dont be shy, share with us where you live and why its so amazing coffee1.gif

Which melbourne are we talking about?

And i need proof of the 6 million baht 29 sq metre apartment. Otherwise Pffft

Do you want a proof of the conversation? Sorry.

But you can check it yourself.

Lumpini 24. Ask at the sales office.

http://www.hipflat.co.th/en/bangkok/condo/the-lumpini-24

Hmmm, thats the very top end of the market.

2 yr old high rise condo tower.

One on the website thats 12 million for 59 sqm

Thats ridiculous.

78 out of 400 units currently for sale. No surprises why

And rents down over 60% from the previous year, ouch

To answer the OP, not if I had more money than brains. BKK condo prices are on par with Vancouver, Canada if you consider price per sq ft or sq m. That being said, one would need to take into account location, views (none in BKK), access to public transport, services and hospitals, cost of living (very high in Vancouver), and other quality of life issues. I suppose it depends on one's lifestyle and the reason they are buying the condo (retirement, long-term plans to do bizniz in Thailand etc).

However, I would reason that you may get more value for money (in the property itself) throwing some money at a condo in Vancouver (Canada's most expensive city).

To reiterate, if I had $200k to spend on a condo I wouldn't spend it in BKK. But that's just me. We are all snowflakes.

My bedroom is like 24sqm.

Why would I consider a whole place the size of 30sqm ?

because your Mega, Don?

Nah. I like to swing a cat.

Still a bit tight though. My bedroom is 41sqm and it feels just right . Still, we all have different expectations

because your Mega, Don?

Nah. I like to swing a cat.

Still a bit tight though. My bedroom is 41sqm and it feels just right . Still, we all have different expectations

you swing bigger cats.

I wish my cats were bigger :-)

I live in a 100sq m. home with all the amenities, and beautiful landscaping, for $200 a month rental. Landlord takes care of any problems.

Let's see – $200,000 would provide me 83.33 years of rental money for just such a little piece of paradise that I enjoy now.

Nope, I pass.

Edited by Fookhaht

I live in a 100sq m. home with all the amenities, and beautiful landscaping, for $200 a month rental. Landlord takes care of any problems.

Let's see – $200,000 would provide me 83.33 years of rental money for just such a little piece of paradise that I enjoy now.

Nope, I pass.

2000 baht a week for a 100sqm beautifully landscaped home in Bangkok with all the good gear..do you have any idea how stupid you sound?