Would you buy a 30sqm ghetto for US$200,000 in your own country?

If I had $200k spare, I wouldn't spend it in Thailand.

$50k on a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol', and 10 years living expenses.

You're going to buy "a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol',", for 35k Pounds, really, and what might that gem look like may I ask!

Something like this one would suspect.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1460028143.461252.jpg

Once it's painted and rendered it will look great.

3 bed fixer uppers in Spain start around E20k, like everywhere, you can spend as much as you have.

And you can own them in your name.

Which melbourne are we talking about?

And i need proof of the 6 million baht 29 sq metre apartment. Otherwise Pffft

Do you want a proof of the conversation? Sorry.

But you can check it yourself.

Lumpini 24. Ask at the sales office.

Refused to touch new projects in that Soi since 2007, but got a 121 sqm 2-bedroom old unit instead at USD200K, including refurbishing.

Present tenant had just extended his lease for the 6th year.

My old unit is just 200m from the BTS, against 600m of Lumpini.

Edited by trogers

Refused to touch new projects in that Soi since 2007, but got a 121 sqm 2-bedroom old unit instead at USD200K, including refurbishing.

What does such a unit pays in rent these days?

What does such a unit pays in rent these days?

Got Bt40k for the first two years, and increased to Bt45k thereafter.

My bedroom is like 24sqm.

Why would I consider a whole place the size of 30sqm ?

I live in a 100sq m. home with all the amenities, and beautiful landscaping, for $200 a month rental. Landlord takes care of any problems.

Let's see – $200,000 would provide me 83.33 years of rental money for just such a little piece of paradise that I enjoy now.

Nope, I pass.

2000 baht a week for a 100sqm beautifully landscaped home in Bangkok with all the good gear..do you have any idea how stupid you sound?

I didn't say Bangkok. Do you have any idea how stupid you read? Edited by Fookhaht

because your Mega, Don?

Nah. I like to swing a cat.

I have 3 you can use or if you want to wait a while my neighbours just had 4 kittens this week.

I think that GBP300k is a minimum for a studio in central London, except possibly for something on a very short lease. Something "average" will cost more. Something nice will cost more again.

Garage parking is also around GBP300k.

I would of thought nearer 400k for a Studio in Central London..., unless it's somewhere like Elephant and Castle....which is not the nicest of areas....

61 year lease: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37414023.html

I wasnt saying that you would get something very nice for 300k, just that it was a practical minimum.

If I had $200k spare, I wouldn't spend it in Thailand.

$50k on a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol', and 10 years living expenses.

You're going to buy "a nice little house near the sea on the 'Costa Del Sol',", for 35k Pounds, really, and what might that gem look like may I ask!

For the same price that my Jomtien sea-view condo cost one could buy a much larger one with similar sea views, or right on a golf course, in Spain. The Spanish one would be much better built also.

Much Thai property is way overpriced when compared with the rest of the world.

USD200k wont buy you a car parking space in London, let alone any sort of condo. That said, it's a total mystery to me why anyone would ever want to live in Bangkok or buy property there. I wouldnt do it if I was paid to.

Dont be shy, share with us where you live and why its so amazing coffee1.gif

There's no secret about where I live: Jomtien.

It's not amazing (nowhere in Thailand is amazing) but I have a nice sea and mountain view from the whole of the inside and outside of my fairly spacious condo (except the bathroom), traffic isn't too heavy, restaurants and the bahtbus are within a very short walk and all big shops are within 5 minutes drive.

USD200k wont buy you a car parking space in London, let alone any sort of condo. That said, it's a total mystery to me why anyone would ever want to live in Bangkok or buy property there. I wouldnt do it if I was paid to.

It's not amazing (nowhere in Thailand is amazing) but I have a nice sea and mountain view from the whole of the inside and outside of my fairly spacious condo (except the bathroom), traffic isn't too heavy, restaurants and the bahtbus are within a very short walk and all big shops are within 5 minutes drive.

You are in one of the View Talay's if I remember correctly.

Thats Interesting. Im 10 years living in Bangkok and thought I had enough of the place so rented out my condo and Ive always liked Jomtien so thats where I went for 3 months in View talay 2B, the idea being if I like it I would move permasnatly however in the third month I was counting down the days and then the hours and ended up leaving a week early lol.

I dont think its right to say how could anyone possibly live there! we are all different and certainly Jomtien didn't do it for me but Im not going to trash the place. I found it way to quite and like most tourist areas lacks ...soul ..is the best way to put it. I really missed the cosmopolitan feel of Bangkok and only just got back and nearly did a Thaksin and kissed the ground but didnt want to die of a mystery illness

Also spent a month North Pattaya ughhh..

Edited by mcfish

Thats Interesting. Im 10 years living in Bangkok and thought I had enough of the place so rented out my condo and Ive always liked Jomtien so thats where I went for 3 months in View talay 2B, the idea being if I like it I would move permasnatly however in the third month I was counting down the days and then the hours and ended up leaving a week early lol.

I dont think its right to say how could anyone possibly live there! we are all different and certainly Jomtien didn't do it for me but Im not going to trash the place. I found it way to quite and like most tourist areas lacks ...soul ..is the best way to put it. I really missed the cosmopolitan feel of Bangkok and only just got back and nearly did a Thaksin and kissed the ground .

Also spent a month North Pattaya ughhh..

You are a city kid. Get a unit near to Hilton Pattaya.

something about thailand makes people feel they can afford much more then they would agree to at home

a lot of it is played by the thais acting poor and stroking egos

i overcame it after a year or two but still get treated as a cheapskate sometimes when not wanting to pay foreigner rates

something about thailand makes people feel they can afford much more then they would agree to at home

a lot of it is played by the thais acting poor and stroking egos

i overcame it after a year or two but still get treated as a cheapskate sometimes when not wanting to pay foreigner rates

Is there foreigner rates or just prices of foreigner expected environment vs acceptance of Thai environment?

For example, South Koreans who used to live in buildings from Sukhumvit sois 8 to 12 have started to relocate to sois 16 to 20. Their reason, those old apartments are dated with frequent maintenance issues and insect infestation.

Sizes of units are also a factor. Their families with kids and visiting grandparents cannot accept 2 or 3 bedrooms units of size 50 to 80 sqm in those new developments from Onnut towards Bearing, or Asoke towards Rachada.

And there are safety and convenience in numbers, looking at the Japanese and Koreans. The areas they choose have their kind of F&B after dark while pre-school and grade schools are 30 minutes away.

A single farang can live in a studio among Thais in Bt3000 apartments.

Edited by trogers

So condos in Melbourne and Toronto are cheaper than in Bangkok, and Bangkok is a ghetto.

That invites the question: how bad are things in Melbourne and Toronto? wink.png

I paid about 3 times as much (per sq.m.) for my European condo than for the one in Chiang Mai, both upscale condos with comparable build quality. European one is slightly better, but there are a few areas in which the Thai condo wins.

Though had I bought in Bangkok, it would be more expensive, but I prefer Chiang Mai. That said, if you have money, Bangkok is certainly no ghetto. You have plenty of upscale shopping malls with all the high-end brands, even access to many Japanese items (which we have much less of in Europe), lots of great dining options, and enough classy nightlife places for a middle aged guy like myself.

If you’re on a budget, you’ll probably see another side of Bangkok, but being on a budget, you don’t have to fork over 234k baht per sq.m. to live there, as there are rentals as low as a few thousand baht per month. Though if that is your budget, I can see why you’d call it a ghetto, but I’d say it’s a more charming ghetto than what is usually found in the West.

Sorry, it's a ghetto.

Having an upscale mall does not make it a non ghetto.

There are plenty of places in Toronto that are called ghettos and also have upscale malls and access to "items" from every nation, not just Japan.

A 10 year old condo looks in Bangkok looks like a ghetto regardless of proximity to an upscale mall.

So condos in Melbourne and Toronto are cheaper than in Bangkok, and Bangkok is a ghetto.

That invites the question: how bad are things in Melbourne and Toronto? wink.png

I paid about 3 times as much (per sq.m.) for my European condo than for the one in Chiang Mai, both upscale condos with comparable build quality. European one is slightly better, but there are a few areas in which the Thai condo wins.

Though had I bought in Bangkok, it would be more expensive, but I prefer Chiang Mai. That said, if you have money, Bangkok is certainly no ghetto. You have plenty of upscale shopping malls with all the high-end brands, even access to many Japanese items (which we have much less of in Europe), lots of great dining options, and enough classy nightlife places for a middle aged guy like myself.

If you’re on a budget, you’ll probably see another side of Bangkok, but being on a budget, you don’t have to fork over 234k baht per sq.m. to live there, as there are rentals as low as a few thousand baht per month. Though if that is your budget, I can see why you’d call it a ghetto, but I’d say it’s a more charming ghetto than what is usually found in the West.

Brilliant post. For some folk the ghetto will follow them until they die

There are plenty of places in Toronto that are called ghettos and also have upscale malls and access to "items" from every nation, not just Japan.

And what is meant by ghetto when referring to these places? As strictly speaking, a ghetto is just a place dominated by a minority group.

In my reply I assumed that you meant slum, since you also wrote “3rd world infrastructure”, but this is (also) a bit of a misnomer, since 3rd world countries are just non-allied countries.

If your intent was to write that all of Bangkok is slum with an infrastructure no better than a non-developed country, then a) you need someone to show you what Bangkok has to offer, and B) go to a non-developed country to see what their infrastructure looks like.

As for your original question about why buy something for 234k baht/sq.m. when not doing so in your own country. I doubt many TV posters buy at this price, as there are perfectly fine options available at half the price and lower.

Edited by WorkingTourist

because your Mega, Don?

Nah. I like to swing a cat.
thats why they breed cats with stunted tails in thailand..... to con the swingers that the place is 'spacious'