Thaksin warns on democracy, economy in New Year message

webfact

Former Thai PM Thaksin warns on democracy, economy in New Year message
by Amy Sawitta Lefevre

BANGKOK: -- Politicians must love their people or risk the extinction of democracy, Thailand's fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told a gathering of supporters on Thursday, warning that Thais face tough times because of a weak economy.

In recent months, Thaksin, who was ousted by the army in 2006, has been increasingly vocal in his criticism of the ruling military government.

"Those in politics must love people. If they don't love people, democracy will die," Thaksin said in a Skype telephone address to the gathering to mark the Thai New Year that starts next week. He did not elaborate on his remarks, however.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-idUSKCN0X40TX

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-04-08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well.

Thaksin speaks and Reuters prints it.

Having read the item by Reuters I found that they had missed something from it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

A change of heart from Thaksin perhaps?

I am sorry if this seems over long but the whole article has no paragraphs and it is much longer than this.

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'
December 11, 2003 12:00 am

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed. In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used. "Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress." In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies. "Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices." Amid threats of total domination by the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, the minor coalition partner, academics and opposition MPs agree there is an urgent need to sharpen the teeth of independent constitutional bodies and empower a parliamentary system of checks and balances. "I don't think there's a need to amend the charter right now," said Thaksin. "Maybe they want to because they want to censure me in Parliament." Many rules within the Constitution are said to be playing into the hands of Thaksin as they seem to ease his on-going consolidation of power and expansionist philosophy. Among them is the requirement that a censure motion against the prime minister has to be signed by at least 200 MPs. Before leaving for the Asean-Japan summit in Tokyo, Thaksin avoided actually naming the Chat Thai Party, which has proposed a public referendum to amend the Constitution coinciding with the 2005 general election. "If they really want to do it for good reasons, why didn't they do it earlier when they had enough support in Parliament?" Thaksin said. "There's no real need to change the highest law at the moment. If we do have implementation problems, we can review the Constitution's organic laws."

I can not see him every coming back, for fear of

being assassinated , he has made many enemies

but while money is being made by his family and his interests

spreading his gospel and views will get printed.

trouble for him is time away from home,

in the end he will be passed over

and thats what seems to me he fears most.

Who? I have a vague recollection of someone... Didn't my vague recollection have a brother or sister that did something? I have distant memories of people wearing coloured shirts or something....

The junta has the perfect weapon: time.Thais (like most people, especially kids) get easily bored and forgetful unless they are constantly stimulated which is the agenda. OK, perhaps they haven't considered the resurrection of the "Shirts" before, during or after the next election, if there is one, But it seems they are either boring people into forgetting what colour shirt they are or making people not care. I live in staunch red shirt country, but i haven't seen anyone wearing a Taksin shirt, hanging Taksin posters outside their house or spoken to any opinionated person for over six months.

He warns on democracy?

The guy that tried to push a free trade agreement though by bypassing the democratic system?

The guy that rubbed shoulders with military coup makers in the past to foster business deals?

Yep, he warns on democracy now because he is not making any money off it.

Edited by djjamie

Can anyone explain why anybody is still printing stuff from this convicted criminal ?

Because, like it or not, he still matters politically. I mean, if he didn't matter who would the junta use as a bogeyman to justify overthrowing the elected government and then cling to power using excuses a particularly naive three year old can see through??

He warns on democracy?

The guy that tried to push a free trade agreement though by bypassing the democratic system?

The guy that rubbed shoulders with military coup makers in the past to foster business deals?

Shocking. I mean what kind of vile individual would stand with those who have staged a coup? Oh, hang on a minute...

Quite clear to me "who" he is referring to. A certain man who does love his people, but who is largely powerless and is soon to be replaced by ominous succession. Taksin will not return to Thailand or as rightly said, will face certain assassination by his many haters. In the meantime he will try to foment trouble and establish a puppet government in exile and be a right PITA to the junta. Well that's not such a bad thing!

He warns on democracy?

Shocking. I mean what kind of vile individual would stand with those who have staged a coup? Oh, hang on a minute...

Yep, thaksin.

Kinda highlights the hypocrisy heay.

Thanks for your reply.

A hypocrite if their ever was one.

Have you not listened to the PM's speeches for the last 2 years. Here is the latest from his assistant PM. If the Thai's vote down this constitution one may be written and imposed without a vote. Do you wish to repeat your statement??

"Those in politics must love people. If they don't love people, democracy will die," Thaksin said in a Skype telephone address to the gathering to mark the Thai New Year that starts next week. He did not elaborate on his remarks, however.

Wasn't he supporting followers who were asked to bring empty bottles of gas so they could be filled and burn Bangkok to the ground? Doesn't sound like they loved "all" the people.

whoah Craig, are you sure you want to go to 2010 which was the biggest massacre of Thai people by the military in 2 decades just to slam Thaksin?

Thaksin was and is a creep. There is plenty of ammo out there to nail him for stuff that he actually did.

Nope. Thaksin is "on" topic, the army in 2010 is not. But understood....

Have you not listened to the PM's speeches for the last 2 years. Here is the latest from his assistant PM. If the Thai's vote down this constitution one may be written and imposed without a vote. Do you wish to repeat your statement??

I am neither a fan or supporter of Thaksin nor the Junta.

They are both disastrous to Thailand.

So i will say this

Can anyone explain why anybody is still printing stuff from this convicted criminal ?

Khun Thaksin still holds in some quarters of Thailand power and influence and whether you like it or not , Thaskin is a Thai problem not a Farangs.

Read this in the Australian press about a thai in Chiang Mai going to ADJUSTMENT sessions with Army because she displayed a red Thaksin bowl on facebook.

This is what Was also written

"The Thai state is going through a spectacularly chilling militarisation that is supposed to usher in reforms that the Thai people ostensibly need because they are not informed enough to come up with on their own and their elected representatives are too corrupt to do it for them," Professor Thitinan wrote in the Bangkok Post.

So whose fault is the ignorance of Thais and what has been done
ZILCH.
Things like this will only welcome people like Thaksin back not solve problems here
And the current mob have done little to help the country as a nation.

If there was a lively political debate going on in the country where its future and its constitution was a matter of public concern and discussion, Thaksin's views would not be making headlines in the foreign and local press. As all discussion is smothered inside the country, everyone is interested in what he has to say as the only authoritative opposition voice available. the junta don't have the political intelligence to counter his rhetoric.

I can not see him every coming back, for fear of

being assassinated , he has made many enemies

but while money is being made by his family and his interests

spreading his gospel and views will get printed.

trouble for him is time away from home,

in the end he will be passed over

and thats what seems to me he fears most.

YES A LOT of money in fact. that lovely THAI owned airline THAI AIR ASIA 49% and AIS owned in Singaporre we know but Shin Corp has holdings in companies that hold companies that own it and many other THAI companies so why have democracy?

Why do I have to puke when I hear or read Thaksin? I better go to the toilet now and Yingluck me one. Be back in 2 minutes.

I'm a thief,a robber,ive plundererd my own country,ive done all i can to keep the people ignorant and uneducated,i sold off Thai companys to feather my own nest.Ive done all these things and my sister is doing the same thing.But i love Thai people!