AP-GfK Poll: Many dislike Clinton _ but more disdain Trump

rooster59

AP-GfK Poll: Many dislike Clinton _ but more disdain Trump

LISA LERER, Associated Press
EMILY SWANSON, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fifty-five percent of Americans say they have a negative opinion of Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton in the latest AP-GfK poll.

But that's not nearly as bad as how they view the leading candidate for the Republican nomination, Donald Trump. His unfavorable rating stands at an unprecedented 69 percent.

The negative feelings for both are a harbinger of a general election contest that's shaping up to be less about voters supporting the candidate of their choice, and more about their picking the one they dislike the least.

"I don't really feel like either one is that trustworthy," said Devin Sternadre, 26, a student. "Most of the elections that have happened in the past I've felt strongly about a candidate, and I just don't this time.

"But yeah, if it was held today I guess I would vote Clinton," he said, with a deep sigh. "I just wish there were more choices."

Democratic strategists say Trump's deep unpopularity has alleviated some of their concern over views of Clinton. While 55 percent of Americans have a "somewhat" or "very" unfavorable impression of the former secretary of state, that's about the same number as those who have a "very unfavorable" opinion of Trump.

As the campaign moves toward the general election, Democrats argue, the dynamic will shift from being a referendum on Clinton's character to a choice between her and a Republican opponent. If that Republican is Trump, Democrats see an opportunity to unify their own party behind Clinton and make inroads with independents and Republicans.

Nearly half of all registered voters say they would at least consider voting for Clinton, far more than say they are open to voting for Trump. Sixty-three percent say they definitely wouldn't vote for Trump in a general election.

Even in more historically conservative Southern states, where Trump swept the Republican primaries, voters are somewhat more likely to say they would at least consider Clinton. Half say they are open to her candidacy, and 39 percent to his.

Voters are more likely to have a positive opinion of Clinton's primary rival, Bernie Sanders, with only 38 percent saying they would definitely not vote for the Vermont senator. He trails far behind Clinton in the race for the Democratic nomination.

Clinton is not held in very high regard among the general public. Most Americans view her as not particularly compassionate, honest or likable. They have mixed feelings on her civility, decisiveness and competence.

Half of all Americans say Clinton is "not at all" honest, with another 18 percent saying she's slightly honest. That number mirrors views on Trump, with more than seven in ten saying the word honest describes him only slightly or not at all well.

But on the other attributes, Clinton's negative ratings are at least better than the overwhelmingly disapproving views Americans have of Trump.

More than half say Clinton is not especially compassionate, and six in 10 say she's only slightly or not at all likable. Eighty percent do not find Trump compassionate and three-quarters do not see him as likable.

And unlike Trump, members of Clinton's party largely like her. More than 7 in 10 Democratic voters have a favorable opinion, compared to 53 percent of Republicans who have a positive view of Trump.

Just 17 percent of Democratic voters say they wouldn't vote for Clinton in the general election, about the same share as wouldn't back Sanders should he win the nomination. Thirty-one percent of Republicans say the same about Trump.

Clinton remains the candidate viewed by the most Americans as able to win a general election, with 82 percent saying she could capture the White House. Just 6 in 10 say that of Sanders or Trump.

___

The AP-GfK Poll of 1,076 adults was conducted online March 31-April 4, using a sample drawn from GfK's probability-based KnowledgePanel, which is designed to be representative of the U.S. population. The margin of sampling error for all respondents is plus or minus 3.3 percentage points.

Respondents were first selected randomly using telephone or mail survey methods and later interviewed online. People selected for KnowledgePanel who didn't otherwise have access to the Internet were provided access at no cost to them.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-09

Is there anybody more qualified or has been more 'vetted' than Hillary?

All the fake scandals are getting rather tiresome.

Hillary.

Successful attorney at an Oklahoma law firm.

First Lady, Governor Oklahoma.

First Lady USA. A $60 million WhiteWater investigation cleared her.

US Senator, Vetted thru a campaign and cleared thru Congress.

Presidential Campaign 2008, Vetted once more thru campaign.

US Secretary of State. Again vetted thru Congress.

2016 Presidential campaign. Vetted thru campaign again.

8 Republican inquiries into Bengazzi cleared Hillary.

The zealots have been watching her like a hawk since the 1990s. Spent ten of millions $$ looking at her entire history all the way back to kindergarten, scanned every check or contract she ever signed, questioned her babysitters and gardeners.....Nothing solid ever came up.

Hillary.

The zealots have been watching her like a hawk since the 1990s. Spent ten of millions $$ looking at her entire history all the way back to kindergarten, scanned every check or contract she ever signed, questioned her babysitters and gardeners.....Nothing solid ever came up.

I think you meant Arkansas and not nearby Oklahoma.

Hillary.

I am not disagreeing with what you have written, especially about those long and costly Benghazi Hearings. What a waste! I have long grown weary of these right-wing conspiracy theories.

It's just that the negative feelings that people have about Hillary are broader than that. People will point out how she has changed her views on issues for what appears to be mere pandering to voters and not a sincere change of heart or opinion. She also seems to incorporated Bernie's message because he has a message that does resonate with many voters.

Also, there's the issue of how she is getting funding from large donors. Surely people like that are not going to part with money like that unless they expect a return on their investment. And, that return should be more aligned with the donors' interests and not that of many of the voters that she panders to.

Finally, at least from me although others may add more, she just doesn't come across as likeable to many voters. Personally, I couldn't care less as long as she did her job. Nevertheless, this does play a role in politics.

Oh yeah, how could I forget! This whole email and private server business has gotten many people suspicious. I don't know how that will play out, but at the very least it sure appears that she pushed the envelope on her professional responsibility as sec. of state.

Hillary.

Nothing solid ever came up???? Is this why the marriage failed?

I like Hilary, even though she is corrupt she did push for the war in Serbia, voted in favor of every war in any place at any time, she even started the war in Libya when she felt there weren't enough wars. She is a complete war mongering sociopath, just the candidate I want as I am going long every US defense company. Get on board boys, collect those profits while you smell the napalm (or dodge the fallout).

Trump has a few very strange policies that are very unpopular (especially with Hilary's Wall St sponsors), more importantly though he seems to want to pull out of NATO, get cosy with Russia and actually talk to people instead of bombing them. If he does get elected though, we can always short the MIC instead. Win win either way, bring on the election.

Rancid you have bad info man, not sure where you are coming up with this stuff, please let us know where you are getting these "facts".

A true fact is that Trump wants nuclear proliferation in Japan and Korea, has mentioned using tactical nukes in the fight against ISIS. Tha'ts right palsy-walsy, unleashing nukes in other people's countries.

Win win is the most overused bogus expression ever, there is no win with Trump, he's not qualified, says stupid sh*t regularly, he'll not be elected.

So good thing you like Hilary thumbsup.gif

I like Hilary, even though she is corrupt she did push for the war in Serbia, voted in favor of every war in any place at any time, she even started the war in Libya when she felt there weren't enough wars. She is a complete war mongering sociopath, just the candidate I want as I am going long every US defense company. Get on board boys, collect those profits while you smell the napalm (or dodge the fallout).

Trump has a few very strange policies that are very unpopular (especially with Hilary's Wall St sponsors), more importantly though he seems to want to pull out of NATO, get cosy with Russia and actually talk to people instead of bombing them. If he does get elected though, we can always short the MIC instead. Win win either way, bring on the election.

Trump fans are funny. They support him because they think he wont follow thru on all the crazy talk.

It is not unique to the USA for people to be weary of second rate politicians spouting the same rubbish, making promises and then breaking them and generally lying through their teeth. It is the same in many countries that fly the democracy flag. I think what sets the USA out is the very negative approach to campaigning which is little more than an enormous slanging match. Instead of constantly trying to discredit your opponents maybe you should concentrate on some real policies that you can realistically deliver.

Trump has made it much more entertaining in a comedic way and given us all lots of belly laughs. The circus is just that, a lot of clowns totally out of touch with the real world. Bizarrely one of these clowns will end up in charge of one of the most important countries in the world. Not so important anymore as an economic powerhouse but certainly very influential in the outside world.