Does a Brita water filter work in Thailand

elgordo38

Does a Brita water filter work in Thailand with the quality of water here. Does anyone out there use one? Any suggestions to a simple alternative without screwing in a bunch of filters and hoses. I do not have the room for this. Looking for Brita comments or simple alternatives.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check between Brita & Put you will find the Pur is a much better filter....

We use the Pur canister & change the filter after about 3 months....I either order filters or have a friend pick up and carry back some from stateside....

I've used the Pur here & in the PI and US & it has worked well.....It's much easier to manage with 4 people rather than yanking those big bottles around or running to the machines - which I'n dubious about.....

They also make a dispenser for the fridge - works well but you have to pull it out to fill & takes up alot of space....The canister fits on the door and is easier & more convenient....

Normal filter in US would be for taste (chlorine removal and such) as public water is considered drinkable from tap (although not always a good choice). Here in most locations tap water is not considered safe to drink and additional filtration would be recommended. Basic RO or UV is normal for most systems here - but if in Bangkok or some other locations just basic filtration may be all this is required (and make your coffee taste better).

Simple alternative and comparatively cheap, just buy bottled water.

Bravo, then test the bottled water and its dirtier than TAP.

Only Crystal is cleaner than tap, rest is 3-5times dirtier(singha/chang/nestle)

I test them often and none of those companies are EVER close to terrible tap water.

Edited by bearpolar

I test them often and none of those companies are EVER close to terrible tap water.

test the water; let me guess you sick your finger in it then lick it?

We've been using one of these around the corner. Alot cheaper than Brita filters.

water_machine_pattaya.jpg

I wouldn't go near one of those bacteria filled stations. I think i would rather drink the water from a toilet than from one of those.

We've been using one of these around the corner. Alot cheaper than Brita filters.

I wouldn't go near one of those bacteria filled stations. I think i would rather drink the water from a toilet than from one of those.

Toilet water and those machines are cleaner than most of the major bottled water companies in Thailand

A machine like that that hasnt had a filter change in 2 years is still 50% cleaner than the major companies. Around 3-3.5 years its pretty much even.

SPkmsuN.jpg

here's my toilet @ 91 while my last 7 test for major thai bottled water got 220 to 290

my sink tap(directly from the city, toilet goes through water tank) is 70

mineral water is 110-120.. the major thai brands should have no mineral in them..

Edited by bearpolar

. Have you read the stories about high bacteria counts on those water stations, Horrifying

We get all our water from one of those.

The father in law put one outside his house because there is a bunch of student condos all round him and he makes a cool profit from it. Makes over 2000 a month profit.

The company that installs them are a right scam, they cost 15,000 to install and then they try to charge you 1000 baht for a replacement filter, that is the scam because these filters from China cost less than 100 baht, so he bought 20 free shipping and has enough to last him years.

I have had no complaints, but he changes the filters when they require it, I can understand that many other owners are a lot more unscrupulous and would try to make a filter last long beyond its lifespan. That is where it gets dodgy

Edited by Brewster67

do you have any concept of the term mineral water?

You're totally missing the point.

What he is stating is that regular bottled water has twice the amount of minerals than actual mineral water.

Duh. Was it really that complicted, well apparently for you.

Edited by Rayk

You're totally missing the point.

What he is stating is that regular bottled water has twice the amount of minerals than actual mineral water.

Duh. Was it really that complicted, well apparently for you.

it's not minerals, the way the clean the water in nestle/singha and others is by removing everything.

Whatever is left, is something disgusting that isnt minerals.

If you use a business grade filter you get 01 to 06~, crystal is 05 to 015

What is your definition of "dirtier" ? Certainly not it's normal definition. In the photo in your other post you are using a crude probe that measures total dissolved solids.

Meaningless in this context. Personally I prefer to drink water that has mineral content, and taste, to a totally "clean" water that has no taste, ever drank distilled water ?

Let's take Nestle who you have mentioned as an example, when they take municipal water it goes through a process that removes contaminents, chlorine, and it is then demineralised, so how come your Nestle water is "dirtier" according to your probe ? I'll tell you why, because they then reminerlise it, they do that to give it the taste that consumers prefer depending on the market they are operating in. Following that it will go through several other processes, filtation, UV, ozone etc.Standard procedures for any companies operating in this sector.

Not sure what you are trying to tell us but "dirtier" isn't part of it.

What is your definition of "dirtier" ? Certainly not it's normal definition. In the photo in your other post you are using a crude probe that measures total dissolved solids.

Meaningless in this context. Personally I prefer to drink water that has mineral content, and taste, to a totally "clean" water that has no taste, ever drank distilled water ?

Let's take Nestle who you have mentioned as an example, when they take municipal water it goes through a process that removes contaminents, chlorine, and it is then demineralised, so how come your Nestle water is "dirtier" according to your probe ? I'll tell you why, because they then reminerlise it, they do that to give it the taste that consumers prefer depending on the market they are operating in. Following that it will go through several other processes, filtation, UV, ozone etc.Standard procedures for any companies operating in this sector.

Those methods that they use remove all minerals, so why would they put minerals back in the water then filter all those minerals out again? You make 0 sense.

I even stated that mineral water scores way way way lower than the big brands that should not have minerals.

It's tap water left to rot in a dirty tank.

And i guess the reason the scores of those companies on the ppm scale is close to undrinkable by the united nations is because they are good and clean?

We used to buy those large translucent bottles of water. The last time I broke the seal on one and looked at the water, there were mosquito larvae swimming around. No more bottled water for me. At my condo I buy drinking water from one of the several RO machines in the complex. At home upcountry we drink rain water. I have a 1,500 liter fiberglass tank to store it. It has its own pump and the water goes through a big stainless steel tank filled with 18 liters of activated charcoal. From there it goes through another small three filter stainless steel unit with the final filter being ceramic. The rain water causes no problems with my coffee maker and after several years, no problems with the water. My multi vitamins provide our minerals.

Edited by Gary A

Minerals may be added back in to some bottled waters to improve the taste. Completely demineralised water has a flat taste. The minerals added back in could be calcium, sodium or magnesium salts, which at the very low concentrations are of course harmless. These bottled waters are purified and then minerals are added back to improve the taste. Nestlé do this, and it is reported that the amount of minerals present in their water is about 20 mg/L (ppm). Then of course there are mineral waters bottled at a spring source that have various minerals that give it a unique taste, which of course you would not want to remove. Think of expensive, imported bottle water such as San Pellegrino.

It is important to differentiate between "bad" dissolved solids and "good" dissolved solids. Bad ones could include elements like lead and mercury.

But of course, dissolved solids measurements are not the only measure of potability. You could have zero dissolved solids (minerals), yet have a dangerous or even toxic level of organic contaminants, such as pesticides or trihalomethanes, which are a byproduct of chlorination at the water plant. I really doubt that the roadside water dispensers do anything to remove those. They may have some sort of charcoal filter, which can be effective, but those must be replaced regularly or they become completely ineffective.

Bacteria should be removed by fine particulate filters, particularly if they are silver impregnated, which some are. Viruses, such as hepatitis, will not be.

Those methods that they use remove all minerals, so why would they put minerals back in the water then filter all those minerals out again? You make 0 sense.

I even stated that mineral water scores way way way lower than the big brands that should not have minerals.

It's tap water left to rot in a dirty tank.

And i guess the reason the scores of those companies on the ppm scale is close to undrinkable by the united nations is because they are good and clean?

On the contrary I do make sense as does bubba's post above.

" so why would they put minerals back in the water then filter all those minerals out again? You make 0 sense."

Because the initial process removes minerals along with the contaminants.
Maybe you might get the concept better with a flow chart. Or maybe not..........
post-7438-0-25640700-1460469002_thumb.pn

And how does that explain that nestle thai water has 250+ scores in ppm while nestle first world has 90 and less(usualy 40)?

It's dirty and also has added toxic fluoride.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=685

would not surprise me if half of that was Lead just like in the maggi noodles in india(owned by nestle)

Edited by bearpolar

What - exactly - goes on inside the 1 baht street water machines? Does the water run past a UV source?

It seems to be taken as an article of faith that there's some major problem with the tap water. I'll bet nearly everyone who eats out is drinking gallons and gallons of the stuff every year. smile.png

If you made up one 1.5L bottle of water with a chlorine tablet in it, and sloshed (say) a 150ml of that into every bottle you filled with tap water, and then rotated them through the fridge so that everything you drink has had an extra shot of chlorine in it for 12 hours, would there really be a problem?

Everyone in the West spends decades drinking chlorinated water.

If you're really fussy then filling recyclable bottles with tap water and letting it sit in sunlight for a couple of hours before sticking it in the fridge will (pretty much) kill everything. http://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN

Trucking water around is an environmental disaster.

Edited by Craig krup

Can buy in Makro, 6x1.5l from Mae Rim, 55B (sometimes 49B). Cheaper then the distilled water from Nestle&Co.

I think you misspelled "tap water left to rot in an infected holding facility then bottled" which isnt spelled "distilled"

Edited by bearpolar

And how does that explain that nestle thai water has 250+ scores in ppm while nestle first world has 90 and less(usualy 40)?

It's dirty and also has added toxic fluoride.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=685

would not surprise me if half of that was Lead just like in the maggi noodles in india(owned by nestle)

So without delving into the various conspiracy theories regarding fluoride, I am assuming that you mean Nestlé water in Thailand contains 250 ppm of total dissolved solids? Where did you get those data? And if it does contain 250 ppm of dissolved solids, what is the makeup of those dissolved solids and would those constituents cause it to be "toxic"?