Does a Brita water filter work in Thailand

elgordo38

And how does that explain that nestle thai water has 250+ scores in ppm while nestle first world has 90 and less(usualy 40)?

It's dirty and also has added toxic fluoride.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=685

would not surprise me if half of that was Lead just like in the maggi noodles in india(owned by nestle)

So without delving into the various conspiracy theories regarding fluoride, I am assuming that you mean Nestlé water in Thailand contains 250 ppm of total dissolved solids? Where did you get those data? And if it does contain 250 ppm of dissolved solids, what is the makeup of those dissolved solids and would those constituents cause it to be "toxic"?

and here goes to ignore list.. thats up there with anti vaxxers and flat earth theorists.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have any concept of the term mineral water?

Never heard of this TDS measurement device before.

But one thing is certain:

one should better read about the nature and relevance of such measurements before praising his toilet sink blink.png

Reducing "water quality" to a simple conductivity measurement gigglem.gif

Guess this high tech indicator was expensive and will allow the brand owner to buy glacier water.

Some of the most expensive mineral waters in Europe will of course have a high "PPM" value.

If your tap water has a low PPM it is likely from surface water (be happy you don't live on the Ganges) or wells that are not too deep.

Of course we drink bottled Singha water (in the glass bottles being returned/exchanged).

The bottled waters are industrial products from a controlled process.

They will be treated with UV making sure that germs, bacteria are killed.

And that is what counts!

Sorry that the thread goes off-topic.

Brita filter: why should they NOT work?

We used them in Germany.

But the filters got that expensive it didn't make sense to me.

Want low PPM? Good measurement from this TDS 3?

Drink battery water.

(that was a joke!!!!)

We've been using one of these around the corner. Alot cheaper than Brita filters.

water_machine_pattaya.jpg

. Have you read the stories about high bacteria counts on those water stations, Horrifying

Indeed the quality/cleanness of these waters depends on the dependability of the operator (changing/cleaning filters in time).

If the OP didn't suffer he can continue.

Should I mention that we use collected rain water for cooking and coffee?

(yes even in 2015 that were a few hours of rain)

I bet it has a low conductivity ("PPM").

And yes, coffee (tea?) tastes best with it (not news though),

Can I measure with my multimeter?

Guess yes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

For a house and big family you could consider to install a full featured water filter.
This is a professional water filter installed at the village school.
post-99794-0-06515800-1441268218_thumb.j
The final killing of germs/bacteria is done by the UV lamp.
This is the piece to be checked regularly through the "bull's-eye" (blue spot in the center of the cylinder).
Direct exposition of the lamp could cost your eyesight.
post-99794-0-33250300-1441268241_thumb.j
Edited by KhunBENQ

This is the meter and at about 140 baht it is not expensive - but it will provide a good indication of how clean your water is (we are not talking mineral waters) and how much is being removed by filtration. In my case using Bangkok tap water reading is normally about 160ppm and after RO filtration about 12ppm. The water is safe and drinkable from tap but it is much better tasting after RO.

s-l500.jpg

As said I don't doubt that a filter will reduce this conductivity value, remove solved particles, carbonate.

But it does not say that the water before filtering is "dirty" or unsafe to drink.

The device does a purely physical measurement.

I can not guarantee that the water is safe in terms of bacteria/germs.

If the filter reduces carbonate e.g. it is a good thing for water to use for coffee/tea and cooking.

140 Baht? Time to get one tongue.png Where?

Edited by KhunBENQ

As said I don't doubt that a filter will reduce this conductivity value, remove solved particles, carbonate.

But it does not say that the water before filtering is "dirty" or unsafe to drink.

If the filter reduces carbonate e.g. it is a good thing for water to use for coffee/tea and cooking.

Also, conductivity measurement does not detect organic contaminants such as pesticides or solvents, some of which can be very toxic. Reverse osmosis treatment is not entirely effective in removing such compounds.

And how does that explain that nestle thai water has 250+ scores in ppm while nestle first world has 90 and less(usualy 40)?

It's dirty and also has added toxic fluoride.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=685

would not surprise me if half of that was Lead just like in the maggi noodles in india(owned by nestle)

So without delving into the various conspiracy theories regarding fluoride, I am assuming that you mean Nestlé water in Thailand contains 250 ppm of total dissolved solids? Where did you get those data? And if it does contain 250 ppm of dissolved solids, what is the makeup of those dissolved solids and would those constituents cause it to be "toxic"?

and here goes to ignore list.. thats up there with anti vaxxers and flat earth theorists.

Actually, I was not certain whether you might subscribe to the fluoride conspiracy theories, as you did claim that fluoride is "toxic", which of course it is not at the low concentrations found in potable water systems.

Also, conductivity measurement does not detect organic contaminants such as pesticides or solvents, some of which can be very toxic. Reverse osmosis treatment is not entirely effective in removing such compounds.

Actually RO it is more effective than just about anything short of distillation.

Reverse Osmosis Systems
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
  • A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.

Actually RO it is more effective than just about anything short of distillation.

Reverse Osmosis Systems
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.

Don't fight with the crazy troll. Anyone defending nestle isnt well in the head. I mean i only supplied links to nestle's suposed PPM yet the one we get in the bottles is a lot higher than what they advertise.. must be clean.

Our rain water comes off the galvanized steel roof that is over her outside cooking area. She refuses to use water off the tile house roof. Before she starts collecting water, she power washes the galvanized roof. When the 1,500 liter tank is filled, it lasts until the next rainy season.That filtered water is only used for drinking and cooking.

To those advocating the use of Thai bottled water or getting your water from corner dispensing machines, there have been numerous news reports here in recent years about the water quality of both sources being very poor. I've read enough to know, I'm getting my drinking water elsewhere.

post-58284-0-90621200-1460644593_thumb.j

post-58284-0-54734900-1460644644_thumb.j

post-58284-0-87098300-1460644740_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Only for removing some tastes - it is not designed for safety and will not help in that regard. Most water in Thailand requires more treatment than such a filter will provide.

I've posted on this before, but I'll repeat it here in answer to the OP's question.

From everything I've read on the subject, PUR brand filters are somewhat better than Brita in terms of removing contaminants from the water. That said, neither of them will remove everything, especially if the incoming water is bad. But they'll certainly help.

Again, if your origin source water is at least appearing to be in decent shape, from everything I've read, the best approach is to use a combination of first, FILTERING, to remove those kinds of contaminants, and then boiling the filtered water to remove any bacteria or micro-organisms that make it thru the filter.

I've never seen PUR brand water filter products available for sale in Thailand. I did see Brita filters briefly available at Big C Rajadamri back in 2012, but I don't think I've ever seen them there after that, or seen them anywhere else in Thailand.

post-58284-0-84816600-1460645447_thumb.j

There are some Thai brand and German imported water filter systems I've seen at various of the stores.

But in my case, I chose to go with a PUR-brand counter-top dispenser, and then filters that I buy online in the U.S. -- usually from Amazon or Target -- and then have shipped over here. The PUR filters usually last about 2 months each, and you can buy them in boxes of 3 or 4 for $15 to $25 per box. So, order once to get two 3 or 4-packs of filters (which aren't big or heavy), and that's enough to last for a year.

So, the Bangkok municipal water where I live isn't so bad, so I start with that, run it through the PUR countertop filtering system, and then use a 3 Liter electric water pot/boiler to boil the water, then into pitchers to let it cool before going into the refrigerator. It sounds a bit involved, but it's a pretty simple routine once you get used to it.

Usually, I end up doing one counter dispenser full of new water each day, enough drinking water for my wife and I to use and for some cooking use.

post-58284-0-81477500-1460646006_thumb.j

post-58284-0-76106900-1460646032_thumb.j

If you want to see the difference, just start pouring regular muncipal Thai water into an electric water boiler (the kind with the stainless steel interior tank), and after using that for a while, look at all the minerals and discoloration crud that ends up sticking to the tank liner.

Buy from whom? The Thai companies that pour municipal tap water into their jugs, and then sell them onward to consumers?

Thanks, but I trust my own filtering system more than any Thai company selling water, especially at 30-40b for 18L jugs.

In my system, I know everything is clean and kept clean. I know the filters are replaced regularly. I know the water is boiled and cooled in clean containers -- not those rumbling around the streets of Bangkok in the back of some truck.

Reverse Osmosis Systems

The information you cite in your quote does not mention organic contaminants. Yes, distillation will remove most organic compounds; however, from the literature I have seen, RO may remove some organics (effectiveness depends on their structure), but it is not generally recognised at being very effective for those.

0.0001 micron removes just about everything. RO is the best cost effective method short of distillation (which would be required to remove everything). Just remember you need to provide clean water to the RO filter so pre-filter system is required. As for boiling Bangkok tap water - consider that totally OTT these days - yes I did that 40 years ago but pipes, pressure and treatment have all improved to point that almost nobody considers doing that. Even back in 1980 tap water was consistently testing better than bottled water in central Bangkok (by US Embassy Medical Unit testing).

The Brita/Pur type filters are to improve taste and for that they will work. But RO does that and a lot more. And for Thailand you normally want more than taste removal.

Buy from whom? The Thai companies that pour municipal tap water into their jugs, and then sell them onward to consumers?

Thanks, but I trust my own filtering system more than any Thai company selling water, especially at 30-40b for 18L jugs.

In my system, I know everything is clean and kept clean. I know the filters are replaced regularly. I know the water is boiled and cooled in clean containers -- not those rumbling around the streets of Bangkok in the back of some truck.

most of these companies have major RO facilities, they resell to hotel and people who wish to have their own brand of water. The one im using does all the 5 star hotels, you can bet your ass that 5 star hotels don't give toilet water like singha and nestle to their guests.

0.0001 micron removes just about everything. RO is the best cost effective method short of distillation (which would be required to remove everything). Just remember you need to provide clean water to the RO filter so pre-filter system is required. As for boiling Bangkok tap water - consider that totally OTT these days - yes I did that 40 years ago but pipes, pressure and treatment have all improved to point that almost nobody considers doing that. Even back in 1980 tap water was consistently testing better than bottled water in central Bangkok (by US Embassy Medical Unit testing).

The Brita/Pur type filters are to improve taste and for that they will work. But RO does that and a lot more. And for Thailand you normally want more than taste removal.

Just referring to organic contaminants again, a 0.0001 micron filter would not remove dissolved organic compounds, nor would RO completely remove all organic compounds. You would need to finish the water with activated charcoal to do that.

most of these companies have major RO facilities, they resell to hotel and people who wish to have their own brand of water. The one im using does all the 5 star hotels, you can bet your ass that 5 star hotels don't give toilet water like singha and nestle to their guests.

So would you happen to have a reference or link with bacteriological or chemistry data demonstrating that Singha and/or Nestlé water in Thailand is sufficiently contaminated so as to be equivalent to "toilet water"?

If you actually read the NSF ratings and technical info for the PUR filters, you'll see they do a lot more than just improve the taste of filtered water. But they do do that also, including by filtering out chlorine and chlorination byproducts like trihalomethanes.

Certified to remove over 70 contaminants

Including 99% of Lead, 92% of pesticides and 96% of Mercury

The PUR filters also contain a carbon element to help address contaminants:

https://www.pur.com/what-we-filter

https://www.pur.com/maxion

https://www.pur.com/why-filter#remove-contaminants

To others who have posted above, the issue about Thai water sellers IMHO is one of quality control. Frankly, considering the pretty shoddy prevailing Thai attitudes toward quality control, ongoing maintenance and frankly general cleanliness, I simply don't trust them to provide a clean, quality water supply. When I handle the filtering process myself, I know what I'm getting and I know it's being done properly and cleanly.

If the Thai water industry was trustworthy, which I don't believe they are, they you wouldn't be seeing repeated news reports like the ones I posted earlier in this thread reporting testing surveys that show large portions of the water vending machines and bottled water supplies in Bangkok and elsewhere are providing unhealthy/substandard water supplies. And the usual response of the Thai MoPH is, we'll urge the suppliers/sellers to do better. Right....

Reverse Osmosis Systems

Don't fight with the crazy troll. Anyone defending nestle isnt well in the head. I mean i only supplied links to nestle's suposed PPM yet the one we get in the bottles is a lot higher than what they advertise.. must be clean.

i am sure your high tech meter is much more accurate than what Nestle uses. It is clear from your rants that you know nothing about water cleanliness.

Well , I'll stick to water bottles , it hasn't killed me yet . I read a test somewhere that Namthip was the best water produced in Thailand . 49 baht for 9 litres at Big C. Normally I boil the water before drinking it anyway.

Well , I'll stick to water bottles , it hasn't killed me yet . I read a test somewhere that Namthip was the best water produced in Thailand . 49 baht for 9 litres at Big C. Normally I boil the water before drinking it anyway.

namthip/crystal only 2 clean companies

Unless you're a wikipedia spammer trying to look better than everyone by defending some of the worse companies of the world.

Edited by bearpolar

namthip/crystal only 2 clean companies

Unless you're a wikipedia spammer trying to look better than everyone by defending some of the worse companies of the world.

water conspiracy theories...interesting