US Ambassador to Thailand visits Trang

webfact

US Ambassador to Thailand visits Trang

TRANG, 11 April 2016 (NNT) – United States Ambassador to Thailand and his consort met with Trang Governor Detrat Simsiri at Trang Airport, discussing the province's tourism industry and steps to solve the issue of Illegal and Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing.

United States Ambassador to Thailand, Glyn T. Davies said that Trang is host to numerous interesting tourist attractions, especially the dragon spine, a brand new tourist attraction of the province. Outside of tourism, Trang Province is well known for its rubber and fisheries industry.

The United States Ambassador to Thailand and the provincial governor discussed solutions to the IUU fishing issue, before agreeing that the problems will be solved through mutual cooperation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-11 footer_n.gif

It will be interesting to see how the use of slave labor in the fishing industry plays out. A recent amendment to The Tariff Act of 1930 closed the loophole that has permitted the importation of goods produced with forced labor. The law directs the Customs Department to issue a ban. It would appear that the State Department is scrambling to head this off. If the ban does not go into effect in the face of continued use of forced labor here, or anywhere, then there will be lawsuits filed to force the ban. To use a common Amercian expression, "it is time to fish or cut bait."

Trang it is a pleasant little city that feels a bit set back in time, not at all like the Phuket, Pattaya scene.

From Krabi, Trang it is less then a 200 KM drive via a fairly new smooth road / highway.

It does offer some nice restaurants and cafes, at non tourist trap prices.

Trang is a very good transportation hub, offering services to most cities in the south and

to some nice islands to visit. The train station offers service up to BKK.

I had to Google about these 'dragon spines' and found this Thaivisa topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889311-trang-discovers-6-new-unseen-tourist-attractions/

I have to say that I am hugely unimpressed. So a couple of sand banks appear for 2 days each month at low tide. Is that really going to increase tourist numbers? Will the Chinese flock to Trang on those 2 days?? I think not.

IMHO, it sounds like 'grabbing at straws'

Trang is a nice place to visit, but the promotion of a couple of sand banks as tourist attractions is hard to understand.

I had to Google about these 'dragon spines' and found this Thaivisa topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889311-trang-discovers-6-new-unseen-tourist-attractions/

I have to say that I am hugely unimpressed. So a couple of sand banks appear for 2 days each month at low tide. Is that really going to increase tourist numbers? Will the Chinese flock to Trang on those 2 days?? I think not.

IMHO, it sounds like 'grabbing at straws'

Trang is a nice place to visit, but the promotion of a couple of sand banks as tourist attractions is hard to understand.

promotion of a couple of sand banks as tourist attractions is hard to understand

The discussion on Tramg tourism may have been a diversionary tactic for the real discussion on UII.

If Davies announced his only reason for seeing the Trang Governor it's likely the Forign Minister would nix the meeting.

But increased tourism is high on Prayut's economic priorities so there may be a willingness to "take the bad with the good."

It will be interesting to see how the use of slave labor in the fishing industry plays out. A recent amendment to The Tariff Act of 1930 closed the loophole that has permitted the importation of goods produced with forced labor. The law directs the Customs Department to issue a ban. It would appear that the State Department is scrambling to head this off. If the ban does not go into effect in the face of continued use of forced labor here, or anywhere, then there will be lawsuits filed to force the ban. To use a common Amercian expression, "it is time to fish or cut bait."

Yes that's about right ....the line is fine within their frame working .....interesting to see what occurs...my money is on lawsuits and a ban....I have been pro active in Australia in pressuring the giant big chains to ban their lines .....EU will rule soon too

I feel so much better knowing The United States Federal Government is getting involved.

Yes, it's great the US and EU are getting involved to try and pressure the Thai government to do something about slave labor here...and over fishing. Best of luck with this.

Yes that's about right ....the line is fine within their frame working .....interesting to see what occurs...my money is on lawsuits and a ban....I have been pro active in Australia in pressuring the giant big chains to ban their lines .....EU will rule soon too

It is up to the President to pull the trigger. On the private side, the members of Costco have filed a class action suit to force management to state on the tuna cans (and others), that slave labor contributed to the production of the product. I think it was Costco and other big retailers in the U.S. that pushed the amendment through in the first place. They just do not want statements like that on any product they sell. So, it's all in play. Stay tuned.

"Trang it is a pleasant little city that feels a bit set back in time, not at all like the Phuket, Pattaya scene.

From Krabi, Trang it is less then a 200 KM drive via a fairly new smooth road / highway.

It does offer some nice restaurants and cafes, at non tourist trap prices.

Trang is a very good transportation hub, offering services to most cities in the south and

to some nice islands to visit. The train station offers service up to BKK."

So does the airport.

Maybe they will put out plates of prawns on the sand bars.