Runaway boyfriend of missing Scot Lisa Brown spotted in Thailand resort

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondered why a tourist would contact a newspaper, ? duh !! i hope this person reported it to the BIB. probably gone into hiding now. or camped out in a cornfield. just waiting for the " not guilty until proven " brigade to show up.. yeah right !!

i went into the jomtien police station to report 2 of my staff who stole over 80 000thb in stock from my shop. i even had photo copies of their thai ID cards phone numbers and parents addresses. cops wrote 2 sentences in their log book and told me to go away. doubt they would care about some suspected foreign criminal who committed a crime on the other side of the world.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Again it backstops my thinking own nothing here that will not fit into a suitcase.

Sorry but as an american I don't know what they mean by "mum-of-one . Anyone can help here? Does it mean she had one child?

Well that is the meaning to those of us who speak ENGLISH.

Coming from NZ I have never heard it that way. Mother of one yes.

'"Yeah...nah'.... I can understand your confusion mate....

"Mother" and "mum" would be too confusing eh?...

You mean people like F Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Eugene O'Neill, Sinclair Lewis and Pearl Buck

Sorry but as an american I don't know what they mean by "mum-of-one . Anyone can help here? Does it mean she had one child?

It's always great to read how the replies stay on topic here ... and how fun it must be to live in Thailand judging by all the negative comments on government, health, police, etc .. Why you people even went there in the first place ? Did you run out of money to take the plane and go back to civilization ? Or maybe you ran away from your homeland justice system for a dark reason ?

She was very quiet one time, that's what it means....

Well, the poster has admitted he is a Kiwi, end of discussion.

Edited by Artisi

It's always great to read how the replies stay on topic here ... and how fun it must be to live in Thailand judging by all the negative comments on government, health, police, etc .. Why you people even went there in the first place ? Did you run out of money to take the plane and go back to civilization ? Or maybe you ran away from your homeland justice system for a dark reason ?

Reading the daily papers, from the country I left, I see thousands more people complaining about government, health, police, etc., over there.

Why people, who do not live here, frequently comment on Thai forums, only to slag the place off, baffles me.

Telling Thai police, may not yield desired results. Another case: a Nepali serial killer came to Thailand. A Dutch embassy worker in Bkk did some sleuthing, and informed RTP of the Nepali's whereabouts. Thai cops showed up at the apt, looked at the Nepali's passport, then left, figuring all was in order. It wasn't. The Nepali went on to kill some more pretty young farang backpackers before he was arrested.

Unless this is a case I don't know about, I think you are referring to Charles Sobraj ( French/Vietnamese), murdered Dutch, Americans, Canadians, Israelis in Bangkok and Pattaya in the 70s. The Thai police did not make a connection between 2 of the murders: young women found "drowned" in shallow tidal pools in Pattaya and in any case were told not to look too closely because, you guessed it: " bad for tourism"

Without the Dutch embassy official, the case would have been overlooked. RTP clueless.

Sobraj is still in prison in Nepal, for other murders and is now in his 70s. He can be extradited to Thailand at the end of his term.

He lived in Convent Rd, right near BNH. Nasty.

She was very quiet one time, that's what it means....

Possibly that would be "once mum", or even "mum once"?

Or a third possibility: like most visitors before us over the centuries, we were beguiled by the luminous beauty and vibrancy of Thai culture, and moved and inspired by the graciousness, charm and warmth of most Thai people - and it's become impossible to ignore all the everyday horror and human misery that is allowed to flourish here alongside so much to cherish and admire, especially when they affect our families and people we love.

No other place in the world means more to me, and nowhere else breaks my heart so often, and it troubles me that so many Thais seem to have lost faith in their ability to solve the problems their country faces, and have decided to just pretend the problems don’t exist at all.

I don't really care, but I have to ask: if the horrors and misery than affect so many millions of mostly beautiful people don't bother or concern you, why are you here?

just wondered why a tourist would contact a newspaper, ? duh !! i hope this person reported it to the BIB. probably gone into hiding now. or camped out in a cornfield. just waiting for the " not guilty until proven " brigade to show up.. yeah right !!

i went into the jomtien police station to report 2 of my staff who stole over 80 000thb in stock from my shop. i even had photo copies of their thai ID cards phone numbers and parents addresses. cops wrote 2 sentences in their log book and told me to go away. doubt they would care about some suspected foreign criminal who committed a crime on the other side of the world.

The reason why they tell you to go away is you did not pay them to do the investigation. If you don't pay them they will do nothing about the case and you wasting your time to report the case. Even a cop told me that at Nongprue

The simple fact, after all is said and done, is that this article originated in Glasgow, which as most people know, is in Scotland.

Whether they speak English there is anyone's guess. wink.png

The simple fact, after all is said and done, is that this article originated in Glasgow, which as most people know, is in Scotland.

Whether they speak English there is anyone's guess. wink.png

A Kiwi in Glasgow, now that would lead to interesting conversations ?

In the UK I lost GBP80,000 due to theft from my computer games console shop and the police were not interested. Even when we arrested one of the gang ourselves when they came back for a second break in, the police did not want to investigate or try to recover my stock, nor did they want to take the gang member we caught to court. Never had a problem with the Thai police, they recovered a stolen gold necklace for me. I admit that I did have to pay the policeman's expenses up front(B500). You must realize that they often have to buy their own motorcycles, guns, pay for fuel and other expenses out of their own pockets.

Yes, so why do they want to become policemen?

I note and quote the following from the article in the Mirror newspaper; "A European-wide warrant has been issued for his arrest"

Surely this warrant wouldn't be expected to reach as wide as Thailand? Of course there are currently talks of the EU being expanded further to include new countries, however I think Thailand joining Europe the EU is still a fair way off. Of course I'd have wagered money not so long ago to say Turkey wasn't ever going to be in the EU, so it just goes to show how naive I am in these matters.

For our American friends who find it hard to understand try "Mom-of-one" rather than Mum-of-one. I understand the difference may be hard to get. However it is a term that was used in a Scottish newspaper where I suspect the term is more often used.

Seriously? "Mum" and "mother" do not mean the same where you come from? At least the American guy has some excuse for not fully understanding, you definitely don't.

Yes. Thought it was pretty obvious "mum" is English slang for "mother." In America we used to spell it "mom." I can't imagine how people text it now.

I'm not sure how your post refers to the topic either ... But...

I'm presuming from certain clues in you text that you are American also ... So let's be honest ... Could you even point out where Thailand is on the globe?

Simply hung up on "mum," "bum" and a thousand other quaint little expressions they think are also used beyond their borders. Shhhhh--don't rock the boat--they're testy. Edited by Fookhaht

Co operation in law enforcement sharing information,

is alive and well,

Yea, why not ask the Spanish border controls who let him live, but as per usual Thai customs cops it !

This reminds me that when leaving the UK there is no 'border control' check, as such. Only the airline checks your passport. Maybe Spain is the same.