Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?

webfact

Look people- you are putting way too much meaning in Thais that use the term Farang. A perfect example- I have a team of Thai workers do some remodeling on my house. They do not know my name but refer to me as 'mister'. My wife who is Thai is referred to as 'Madam' or Khun and her name which they know. When the workers and I are talking to each other they treat me with respect. I can over hear them talking about 'Farangs' in general and not about me. They are filled with general information that is often wrong or stereotyping. As foreigners, we are judged by the actions of our compatriots who act out in Pattaya , Bangkok and Phuket. It is the same stereotyping I hear on TV- Russians are rude; Chinese have no manners; the Americans are brash and loud; the Brits are drunk etc etc. Why would you expect the Thais not to stereotype when Westerners do it constantly?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we have here is a clash of cultures. Those of us in the West have been educated through time to understand that referring to a person by race, creed,color etc is considered not only rude but possibly racist or certainly not politically correct.

That's nonsense. It's absolutely fine to refer to somebody's race, as long as you don't use offensive terminology to do so, or imply that their race is somehow inferior.

Would you refer to someone sitting near you (whose name you knew) when talking to friends as the foreigner?

Come to that, would you shout about 'the foreigner wanting something' (or whatever) in the middle of a crowded area?

Doing so tends to imply they see us as inferior. Not that that matters as such, because we tend to think the same about rude, ignorant behaviour. laugh.png

Sorry, but you are wrong. In the West, the simple fact that you would refer to someone by race, creed, color, sexual preference, age etc is considered wrong and potentially racist. You may want to check the relevant laws on this in your own country. In America, you wouldn't do it in the workplace lest you be written up and an investigation started. Trust me, I used to work there as a manager and handle complaints regarding this.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

My best guess is that they are repeating what their parents and or friends say, and know it is slightly rude - so being kids, find it v funny and brave.

As I said before, nothing is going to change in our lifetime.

I do not know where you are from . In America if I am in a work setting and a black person refers to me as 'the white guy' and I take offense it could be considered workplace harassment or even racism. It all depends on the actual circumstances. I do not indicate agreement with the law but if you work in America you will find out just how politically correct the workplace has becomes. I also believe that references to ones race, color etc has no place in a workplace simply because there is no reason to refer to people other than by their name.

I do not know where you are from . In America if I am in a work setting and a black person refers to me as 'the white guy' and I take offense it could be considered workplace harassment or even racism. It all depends on the actual circumstances. I do not indicate agreement with the law but if you work in America you will find out just how politically correct the workplace has becomes. I also believe that references to ones race, color etc has no place in a workplace simply because there is no reason to refer to people other than by their name.

Why would you take offence at that? How would it be racist?

I'm not American, but I find it hard to believe that things there are quite how you describe them.

Why would you take offence at that? How would it be racist?

I'm not American, but I find it hard to believe that things there are quite how you describe them.

Because there's something wrong if a colleague refers to a co-worker as the white (or black) guy when they know their name?

And even if they didn't know their colleagues name, most would refer to that guy over there in the blue (or whatever) shirt. You obviously think this is PC gone mad, but it only came about because people preferred not to be referred to in terms of race/colour etc. when they were a minority in the country they live.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Whether you believe it or not that is the way it is and it makes sense. America has a long history of racism, sexism and simple discrimination against people because of color ; gender; national origin; sexual preference; age etc. There is no reason to refer to anyone other than their name or neutral terms like Mister, Miss etc. Why would you need to refer to someone as 'the white guy' or 'the black guy' or any other term. If you cannot understand this concept they you may want to reeducate yourself into the workings of the modern workplace. I have counseled many people that this type of behavior is wrong and will not be tolerated. It causes workplace disruption and places the Company that allows it in the court system.

Whether you believe it or not that is the way it is and it makes sense. America has a long history of racism, sexism and simple discrimination against people because of color ; gender; national origin; sexual preference; age etc. There is no reason to refer to anyone other than their name or neutral terms like Mister, Miss etc. Why would you need to refer to someone as 'the white guy' or 'the black guy' or any other term. If you cannot understand this concept they you may want to reeducate yourself into the workings of the modern workplace. I have counseled many people that this type of behavior is wrong and will not be tolerated. It causes workplace disruption and places the Company that allows it in the court system.

i wouldn't mind if there was consensus but it seems to me that there is deep division among us on whether the word is offensive or not

I don't think blacks are divided on whether or not the word "n***er" is offensive

Nor do I think Chinese are divided on whether or not the word "ch**k or "s**nt" is offensive

If you don't like being called farang, tell the offending individuals to stop; if they don't cease and desist, start punching people out, see how far that gets you laugh.png

Farang yes i am a farang. Many Thais call me farang.

Is it offensive or not? Who cares ? Not me.

Thais who know me call me by my name. Thais who dont know me call me farang.

It is better than Thais saying YOU YOU when they speak to me.

As usual, a spot on perspective clap2.gif However, post #8 does make a valid point.

Edited by TuskegeeBen

IT IS RACISM ...pure and simple ...Cracker or dare i even type Nigg**. Pak*, chin* whats the difference (as these are actually shortened country names)

thailand is a very racist country ask them what they think of Cambodians or Burmese to start with blink.png

whistling.gif At least the Thais keep a polite (non-antagonistic) phobic distance, from the foreigners they dislike. We thank God, for the many small favors rendered to us, by the Thai people. We also choose to ignore their (Thai) subtle insults, considering the source. wai.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I got called a racist by some red faced, teary eyed student type in the UK once for referring to migrants as "these people".

Would we prefer Thailand to become as PC as it has in the west.

Personally, I've got bigger things to worry about than what some folk call me.

You've actually made a damn good point!

Id rather have a beer with someone who refers to me as a farang than a left-wing moron who would call me a racist if I ordered a White Russian

Get over yourself - has any "left-wing moron" ever called you a racist for ordering a White Russian? rolleyes.gif

Do you take everything literally?

Obviously not rolleyes.gif - I'm just pointing out that his 'example' of "left-wing moron" is entirely ridiculous, and only proves himself to be a "moron" smile.png .

Yeah, I may have gone a bit overboard with my example :)

i wouldn't mind if there was consensus but it seems to me that there is deep division among us on whether the word is offensive or not

I don't think blacks are divided on whether or not the word "n***er" is offensive

Nor do I think Chinese are divided on whether or not the word "ch**k or "s**nt" is offensive

If you don't like being called farang, tell the offending individuals to stop; if they don't cease and desist, start punching people out, see how far that gets you laugh.png

Wrong, blacks are definitely divided on that issue. Here's my take on it: FYI ~ "Niggers" exist in all skin colors. As a Black American, I have absolutely no problem with calling a white, latino or Asian the "N" word, should they behave in an "oncouth" manner. Thus, anyone, black, white or otherwise, calling me a "nigger", on the basis of my skin-color, gets a "no contestcheesy.gif" response from me, always.

My parents raised me, to be just that way in life. I honour, and thank them both (together with my In-Law parents), on a daily basis.wai.gif

Hence, Thais calling me a "farang", is (apparently) more of a human ignorance problem for them, instead. Cheerscoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I lived in London for years. I didn't have a problem with referring to people by race if need be. "The black guy over there", "That asian lady", whatever. It's not racist to merely refer to someone's race, and it's ridiculous to say "The guy with the brown shoes and green shirt at the third table on the left" when they're the only black person in the room.

Yes, but when that black guy is walking to his table, does someone on every other table have the need to say "Black guy"

Does the waiter ask" What are you eating black guy?"

When he leaves does anyone ask "Black guy, where are you going?", "Black guy eaten yet?"

When he is walking down the street is he likely to have children following him chanting "Black guy!, Black guy!, Black guy!, Black guy!,"?

If this did happen, I am sure that you would think it odd and certainly not respectful. As far as I am concerned the intention can only be offensive.

Rather than being offended, I'm really just amused.

For example, when in your home country, how to the Thais there refer to the locals? I'm from the US, and know many, many Thais living there. Never once have I heard a Thai refer to a local as an American. It's always "Farang". The amusing thing is that the foreigners are referring to the local citizens as "foreigners". The only exception to this that I've experienced is with the Thais that are highly educated - they avoid the usage of the word "farang".

On the other hand, foreigners in Thailand always refer to the locals by their nationality "Thai".

I'm just curious: for those of you from other countries, do the Thais in your country refer to the local citizens by their nationality, or simply "farang". For example - in England, are you a Brit or a farang. In Germany, are you German or a farang?

Just an amusing look at how different cultures view themselves in a larger context.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

A good reply is to say "sapprot" back (pineapple) As they are calling you a fruit, reply in the same way, you will get a laugh from them :)

your the sort of falang that would lay down and let people call you anything for a quiet life

when tourists come to the UK we dont generalise them in one catagory, if we dont know them better to say "excuse" me or "sir" or "madam" and not something just to generalise people who either live in the UK or tourists

If you feel offended by such terms, better leave Asia....why even write an article.....

well I stayed in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore before moving to Thailand. They all have their own similar words for farang and use it. IMHO in Tokyo they view you most negatively as foreigner (similar to Korea) whereas here it's just a term used for Caucasians and people not really mean in a special negative or positive way, it's just a word for white people. But even in Tokyo, I wouldn't be bothered too much by it because frankly you can't change their culture. You have only 2 options in my opinion: ignore and accept it and move on or move somewhere outside of Asia where they don't use such terms for white people.

I was waiting to be served in a coffee shop. The barista told the waitress. This one is for the farang. I thought to myself "how ignorant".

Imagine I was a black person in UK and they said this one is for the X (I won't say it because it's out of line).

I guess it just boils down to ignorance and poor education.

I was waiting to be served in a coffee shop. The barista told the waitress. This one is for the farang. I thought to myself "how ignorant".

Imagine I was a black person in UK and they said this one is for the X (I won't say it because it's out of line).

I'd rather have that than "This one is for the ugly man in the blue t-shirt".

Wow. So many posts over a word that simply says the person is not Thai.

Thais who don't know me here refer to me as the farang. Thais who know me call me Khun ...... I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

I don't object to being called an alien by most immigration authorities, although on my frequent visits to the USA I had to resist the temptation to ask if they considered Australians came from another planet. To most Americans, we probably do.

Wrong! The Crocodile Dundee movies dispelled that notion, if it ever existed to begin with. I grew up in 1950s Chicago (Evanston), near the Northwestern University campus. There was always a boatload of Blokes, Chinks, Kangs, Kiwis, Micks, Spiks and Sambos (both faculty & students) present in the neighborhood; a quite kaleidoscopic (crime-free) community.clap2.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen