Songkran in Chiang Mai - Has the Madness Started?

mesquite

It's the main cultural and religious event of the year. I don't feel particularly inclined to comment when it's derided as 'madness'.

If there's a general / genuine Songkran / Happy New Year kind of post then I'll be happy to comment and add updates..

For “cultural and religious event” I’d rank Loi Krathong about the same or higher.

For “madness”, the reference is clearly not to Thais wishing each other a Happy Songkran with a bit of spraying and/or powdering, but to those with super soakers surrounding non-participants or those with hoses spraying oncoming traffic without regard for safety, often these people are found around bars frequented by foreigners and their actions have little to do with Songkran.

It's the main cultural and religious event of the year. I don't feel particularly inclined to comment when it's derided as 'madness'.

If there's a general / genuine Songkran / Happy New Year kind of post then I'll be happy to comment and add updates..

For “cultural and religious event” I’d rank Loi Krathong about the same or higher.

For “madness”, the reference is clearly not to Thais wishing each other a Happy Songkran with a bit of spraying and/or powdering, but to those with super soakers surrounding non-participants or those with hoses spraying oncoming traffic without regard for safety, often these people are found around bars frequented by foreigners and their actions have little to do with Songkran.

Right.. and with the thousands of bars all over Chiang Mai.. .. oh wait.. a handful of bars on around Kotchasarn/Loy Kroh.. :)

Seems these are easily avoided, unless people actually want to go there of course so they get to complain about stuff.

It has begun. Cute kids "Starting with the Water already" on Huay Kaew road.

Yesterday afternoon about 5.30 I had to make a last minute dash to Icon Square for a mouse and a USB hub thanks to a rather silly placement of something. Mr K wasn't happy about going out on the bike, but we got there down all the back sois and alleyways without drama. Almost.

We passed to youngsters maybe 5 and 6 years old with the guns and I waved at them so that they'd try and get us - they had no chance, they weren't strong enough and we were on the other side of the road, but for me Songkran is all about watching youngsters up to the age of about 12 when they turn into monsters squealing and throwing more water on themselves than the water going to wherever they're throwing it. It was good fun, they squealed and I pretended that they'd got me and laughed then their father with a giant sized version of the water gun they had soaked me. A bit out of order I thought, but my own fault for insisting on going out.

We're going to go out in a little while for an hour or so then that'll be it for me until next year.

And yet....you posted a comment anyway. coffee1.gif

And yet....you posted a comment anyway. coffee1.gif

Ah; my definition of a comment is to add something useful or informational.

So you can take this as a 'no comment-comment'.

Got nailed by about five buckets of water on the way home yesterday on Hang Dong road by some local teenagers. I could see how it leads to accidents when being done on the main road vs scooter travelling at 50-60kmh, but all in good spirits. Thankfully I was warned by a mate to waterproof my stuff when I left.

A couple of mates were in town yesterday arvo and some teens went to throw water at them. He told them his laptop was in his bag (they'd just arrived in CM on holiday) and one of the guys said "bye bye laptop then" and doused them with a couple of buckets of water. Fair to say they weren't overly impressed...

Spent years doing the whole Songkran thing with the kids, motorbikes around the moat, walking the moat, in the back of pickups. Have to say had a great time every year and they had a Thai experience that can't be duplicated back home.

Kids older now and back home doing university, so this year will keep a low profile. Will need to go to the shop later so will no doubt get soaked.

Wouldn't exchange all those years of fun with the kids just to dodge getting wet now.

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khun Winnie,

We, for two, always appreciate your thoughtful posts here. I'm going to start a new thread on Songkran today, where I hope the serious side of it can be discussed.

cheers, ~o:37;

Right.. and with the thousands of bars all over Chiang Mai.. .. oh wait.. a handful of bars on around Kotchasarn/Loy Kroh.. smile.png

Seems these are easily avoided, unless people actually want to go there of course so they get to complain about stuff.

There are few if any bars on Old Lamphun Rd. Ride a scooter along there and have a look, today. G'luck.

And the winner is.....

We have our first topless arrest by the BIB this morning.....100 Baht fine tag, photo (sadly no finger pointing), and release....still topless.

Hope this this is not the new CM topless standard.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=1460528499

14605284991460528524l.jpg

Really ? i

Unbelievable !

just woke up and thought i was dreaming.

Better i take a few beers first and then into the madness with my shirt on.

Most likely the alcohol sales will start after 5 pm also starting from today.

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khun Winnie,

We, for two, always appreciate your thoughtful posts here. I'm going to start a new thread on Songkran today, where I hope the serious side of it can be discussed.

cheers, ~o:37;

Is the 'serious side' the thousands of Thai people who do their best to try and kill themselves or others?

And the winner is.....

We have our first topless arrest by the BIB this morning.....100 Baht fine tag, photo (sadly no finger pointing), and release....still topless.

Really ? i

Unbelievable !

Well! Songkran has not only started in Chiang Mai. It has generated into downright immorality.

And the winner is.....

Really ? i

Unbelievable !

Well! Songkran has not only started in Chiang Mai. It has generated into downright immorality.

Yeah, they should hang the guy, some tree will do. 8-)

Can some of you continue posting this picture along with your 1-5 line comments?

Six views just isn't enough.

At least he had the modesty to hide his face in shame. After all, what if the foreign press picks up on this? Is this a career-killer for him back home? A police record? Will he be dogged by Interpol for the rest of his travels?

Nightmarish scenarios...

Edited by Fookhaht

Probably the 20001 that slipped through the net last week. After all the caught him! The BiB should be commended! The quality tourists will be grateful! Shame on that criminal.

Edited by MadMac

Can some of you continue posting this picture along with your 1-5 line comments?

Six views just isn't enough.

At least he had the modesty to hide his face in shame. After all, what if the foreign press picks up on this? Is this a career-killer for him back home? A police record? Will he be dogged by Interpol for the rest of his travels?

Nightmarish scenarios...

he seems custom picked for this shot with the grungy look and dreadlocks.

no doubt thry looked very carefully when choosing a victim for this important publicity photo.

Well, it's a lot of good clean fun. Sure hope this guy shows up again.

Well that's if he's allowed to. Another guy wearing proper shorts and no shirt was recently fined 100 Baht. With the new rules on wearing "revealing", "skimpy" or just no clothing, I don't think he would escape the attention of police this year. He might want to consider wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt and putting that dick thingy over his shorts (or under them, whatever he prefers).