Is that a Caravaggio in the attic?

webfact

Is that a Caravaggio in the attic?
By Catherine Hardy | With ANSA

606x341_329808.jpg

TOULOUSE: -- A leaky roof could prove to be a lucky break for one family in France.

Investigating the source of the flood led a family from Toulouse to discover a 400-year-old painting thought to be by the Italian master, Caravaggio, hidden among the rafters.

The painting has been languishing in the attic of the house near Toulouse for around 150 years.

If confirmed as being by the artist, it could be worth up to 120 million euros.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-13

Some people have all the luck in the world, me? I don't even have and attic, let alone a painting worth anything....

I'm sorry...I'll paint you something. Just let it sit somewhere for a couple of hundred years and it will be worth 5 euros! biggrin.png

Edited by klauskunkel

Some people have all the luck in the world, me? I don't even have and attic, let alone a painting worth anything....

I'm sorry...I'll paint you something. Just let it sit somewhere for a couple of hundred years and it will be worth 5 euros! biggrin.png

Your assuming, of course, that the Euro will still be around and that 5 euros will actually be worth something.

Interesting story to this one. I guess there was a door leading to a separate room in there attic they never opened before. Only went there because of a leaking roof.

Gosh! I can't imagine having any door leading somewhere in my place where I have lived a long time and not tried to open it to see what was behind it. Go Figure?

Interesting story to this one. I guess there was a door leading to a separate room in there attic they never opened before. Only went there because of a leaking roof.

Gosh! I can't imagine having any door leading somewhere in my place where I have lived a long time and not tried to open it to see what was behind it. Go Figure?

My thoughts too GB. Imagine buying a 200 yo house and saying " Where does that door lead ? " " Don't know , we have never opened it " The first thing I would do after buying it would be to look behind that door.

Ages ago, found a very nice Stratocaster in the attic of a rented dump. Landlord wasn't interested, and in due course it was handed over to a better guitar player.

Not a Caravaggio, but in my backpacking days, bought a painting on a whim. Few years later, by some chain of events, artist got popular (or appreciated) and the painting (in storage) turned out to be quite valuable.