116 Die in Songkran Traffic Accidents

webfact

as the "normal" death rate is allegedly 80 per day, 116 over 2 days represents a reduction.

If these figures are trustworthy but then have a look over figures for previous years. There are provinces reporting zero deaths, even zero accidents. I believe Trat did this two years in a row which rather stretches credulity.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

116 died and 981 injured in two days of Songkran celebrations

215_Songkran-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Another 64 people died and 550 others injured in the second day of the Songkran safety drive campaign, raising total road death toll in two days to 116 killed and 981 injured.

The centre for the prevention and reduction of road accidents of the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation said today that only in a single day yesterday, 64 were killed and 550 injured in 520 road accidents.

Main causes of the accidents are drunk during which accounted for 36.35% of the 520 accidents, and speeding, 33.46%.

Motorcycles accounted for the bulk of the accidents or 81.03%, followed by pickup trucks, 6.8%.

Chiang Mai topped the highest incidence of road accidents with 19 cases, and Phichit topped highest death toll of six yesterday.

In conclusion, 116 people died and 981 injured in two days of the Songkran safety drive campaign in which a total of 907 cases were reported.

Chiang Mai had the highest accumulated incidents of 45 accidents, while Buriram recorded the highest deaths of eight in two days.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159427

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-04-13

interesting to see that "pronouncements" have been made as to the causes of these accidents. This usually takes weeks of research, but apparently the RTP have a speedier method. BTW - the percentage for alcohol in incidents of about 35% is normal on a worldwide scale......maybe they are just reading figures for elsewhere.

what is so alarming about this is that those who seem to think it is their job to reduce accidents are showing by these statements that they don't acyually have a clue about road safety....so how can one possibly expect any improvement?

as the "normal" death rate is allegedly 80 per day, 116 over 2 days represents a reduction.

If these figures are trustworthy but then have a look over figures for previous years. There are provinces reporting zero deaths, even zero accidents. I believe Trat did this two years in a row which rather stretches credulity.

so lets assume all the figures are a waste of time - see my other post....or do you just want to pick numbers that agree with you?

i think a good average is just over 66.4 per day - which still puts SK below average.

This has been the case for public holidays especially Christmas in Uk for years - the holidays often show a dip in accidents......the worst time in UK is the long summer evenings where people go for a drink after work.

I"ve just driven about 650 km yesterday - quite a lot of that at night....the traffic was light, very little above 100 kph (which is technically speeding) and i didn't see one accident....but I'm only 1 in 70 million.

One thing to bare in mind is tht the amount of commercial/freight traffic is right down over this period.....they might not have so many fatalities themselves but they can be the cause of a lot of rash driving and collisions, specially at U-turns..

The point is - they are simply looking at the whole thing incorrectly.

Edited by cumgranosalum

All the figures are fudged. There is no point in anyone on TV getting into a fight over who is correct.

Even the global figures cannot be believed. Would you seriously believe anything that came out of a

sub saharan country as true ?

What I can believe is that it is total carnage every day and just because it is a holiday they make a

point of giving out totals that are maybe increased by excesssive booze consumption in this period.

Who really knows ?

The old photos of Songkran are interesting.....who said it was just recently foreigners got carried away

with excessive water throwing.. ?

80% of the problem is people don't know how to drive a bike this is why the numbers are high ..

This is a list of motor vehicle deaths in the Thailand by year. Sixty-four percent of motor vehicles in Thailand were motorbikes in 2006. A fatality is defined as a death within 30 days of an accident. There were 212,060 km of roads in 2006: 61,747 km of highways, 313 km of motorways, 42,500 km of rural roads, and 107,500 km of local roads under local administration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year

Even looking at New Year 2014-15 it's mad ..facepalm.gif

Tuesday 30th December 2014: Most accidents involved motorcycles (82.41%)

Wednesday 31st December 2014:Most accidents involved motorcycles (83.80%)

Thursday 1st January 2015: Most accidents involved motorcycles (85.14%)

Friday 2nd January 2015: Most accidents involved motorcycles (82.41%)

Saturday 3rd January 2015: Most accidents involved motorcycles (74.93%)

Sunday 4th January 2015: Most accidents involved motorcycles (79.12%)

Monday 5th January 2015: Most accidents involved motorcycles (84.17%)

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/01/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2014-2015-in-thailand/

Edited by Nicolas32

so lets assume all the figures are a waste of time - see my other post....or do you just want to pick numbers that agree with you?

i think a good average is just over 66.4 per day - which still puts SK below average.

This has been the case for public holidays especially Christmas in Uk for years - the holidays often show a dip in accidents......the worst time in UK is the long summer evenings where people go for a drink after work.

I"ve just driven about 650 km yesterday - quite a lot of that at night....the traffic was light, very little above 100 kph (which is technically speeding) and i didn't see one accident....but I'm only 1 in 70 million.

One thing to bare in mind is tht the amount of commercial/freight traffic is right down over this period.....they might not have so many fatalities themselves but they can be the cause of a lot of rash driving and collisions, specially at U-turns..

I agree with you that the authorities are tackling the problem incorrectly but believe the figures an underestimate. Personally live in a province with a previously reported zero death toll and know for a fact a nearby local couple died in an accident so for whatever reason their deaths did not appear.

As a year on year comparison the figures can be useful in as far as showing that the same old tired campaigns and tents at the side of the road have zero effect on reducing the annual slaughter.

Edited by apetley

116 died and 981 injured in two days of Songkran celebrations

215_Songkran-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Another 64 people died and 550 others injured in the second day of the Songkran safety drive campaign, raising total road death toll in two days to 116 killed and 981 injured.

The centre for the prevention and reduction of road accidents of the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation said today that only in a single day yesterday, 64 were killed and 550 injured in 520 road accidents.

Main causes of the accidents are drunk during which accounted for 36.35% of the 520 accidents, and speeding, 33.46%.

Motorcycles accounted for the bulk of the accidents or 81.03%, followed by pickup trucks, 6.8%.

Chiang Mai topped the highest incidence of road accidents with 19 cases, and Phichit topped highest death toll of six yesterday.

In conclusion, 116 people died and 981 injured in two days of the Songkran safety drive campaign in which a total of 907 cases were reported.

Chiang Mai had the highest accumulated incidents of 45 accidents, while Buriram recorded the highest deaths of eight in two days.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159427

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-04-13

interesting to see that "pronouncements" have been made as to the causes of these accidents. This usually takes weeks of research, but apparently the RTP have a speedier method. BTW - the percentage for alcohol in incidents of about 35% is normal on a worldwide scale......maybe they are just reading figures for elsewhere.

what is so alarming about this is that those who seem to think it is their job to reduce accidents are showing by these statements that they don't acyually have a clue about road safety....so how can one possibly expect any improvement?

I used to work in a Scene of Crime Office for UK Police so know a little of the work and timescale that goes into an investigation. For such pronouncements to be made so soon is both laughable and tragic. Your last paragraph sums it up.

For a start; anyone who believes any 'statistics' spouted by Thai Officials is as silly as the sheep said Officials represent. We all know the figures are skewed to make things look laughingly 'presentable'.

They blame drink driving for the majority of their ills on the roads but the truth is things will never change until strict law enforcement is imposed on all Thai drivers who are habitual law breakers from the fist day they ever start an engine.

For a start; anyone who believes any 'statistics' spouted by Thai Officials is as silly as the sheep said Officials represent. We all know the figures are skewed to make things look laughingly 'presentable'.

They blame drink driving for the majority of their ills on the roads but the truth is things will never change until strict law enforcement is imposed on all Thai drivers who are habitual law breakers from the fist day they ever start an engine.

I think banning bikes would bring the death toll down on major holiday events could go a long way but it will never happen here ?

Being in and around Thailand for the past 3 decades, I would offer that Thais will never learn. To be fair, they aren't unlike the rest of the world - thinking 'it' will always happen to someone else. Sad really, but I'm sure it won't change in my lifetime..

"116 people were killed in 907 road accidents on April 12, the second day of Songkran. Death toll almost two times higher than last year/ Bangkok Post sms"

The above is a direct quote from Thai Visa. It states the 116 was for April 12. That would bring the total to 168. Questionable reporting again. facepalm.gif

The report says 52 Monday and 64 on Tuesday

Again with the numbers... Fudged or not, it would help if all sources could present the same figures.

116 traffic deaths in two days? How can that be when practically all Thais wear protection amulets with most also sporting sacred tattoos on their backs?

Seriously, the law is too lenient against drink drivers. Instead of merely seizing their vehicles and returning them days later, they should be banned for at least two years. Otherwise, Thais would need to wear more than one amulet.

First day of Songkran proper. 8:45 am. Three of us happily cycling together and heading for home before the Kwais wake up. Suddenly a huge bucket of water is thrown over us. Two of us go down. G has nasty cuts and bruises, scrapes and so on. I get away relatively lightly. They call this fun? Is the the same 'fun' as the 'fun' in funerals? I hate this Sh***y festival. It encourages the worst of animal behaviours - especially amongst the low grade farangs around the Chiang Mai moat.

And as for deaths on the road Thailand would be number one in the world if they counted the road kill properly. If you are not dead on the road then you are not counted. Die 5 minutes later in the ambulance - bad luck, you are no longer part of the statistics.

is it true to be a road death you must be dead at the scene,,,,not later on way to hospital or sometime later ?

Yes True. This was the Thais' response to coming on top of the leader board year after year.

"Say, Chomchai, how can we stop scoring number ones in the road fatalities worldwide league?"

"Easy, Wisarut, only count the people who are dead when the ambulance arrives.."

"Brilliant thinking. That should cut the numbers by half!"

Drunk driving during Songkran should result in an automatic 1 year jail sentence ; not just pay small fee and pick up your vehicle a few days later. These people need a serious wake up call,

Time to bring in the car crushers! I am not interested if you still have 6 years payments to make <deleted>!!

Drunk driving during Songkran should result in an automatic 1 year jail sentence ; not just pay small fee and pick up your vehicle a few days later. These people need a serious wake up call,

TiT not your country or for that matter any other country. It is what it is live with it I think

First day of Songkran proper. 8:45 am. Three of us happily cycling together and heading for home before the Kwais wake up. Suddenly a huge bucket of water is thrown over us. Two of us go down. G has nasty cuts and bruises, scrapes and so on. I get away relatively lightly. They call this fun? Is the the same 'fun' as the 'fun' in funerals? I hate this Sh***y festival. It encourages the worst of animal behaviours - especially amongst the low grade farangs around the Chiang Mai moat.

And as for deaths on the road Thailand would be number one in the world if they counted the road kill properly. If you are not dead on the road then you are not counted. Die 5 minutes later in the ambulance - bad luck, you are no longer part of the statistics.

Maybe in country number 1, the counting the same way, who knows.

.....any way of verifying anything they say or publish anyway.....???

......................................wouldn't matter if there was......................

......................................you'd still dispute it....................................

......................................wouldn't you...............???

On the 7 km drive to the nearby small town this morning I counted two freshly painted outlines of motorcycles on the road - so there are two accidents in 7 km! As I entered Ban Lao I was stopped at a checkpoint by a policeman. I showed my license, and told him I was going to the 7/11 (we've got all the mod cons up here in Chiang Rai now you know) to buy some milk and pay some bills. He asked me if I had "drunk whisky" - no I hadn't. At the same checkpoint 10 minutes later on the way back I was stopped again and asked the same question. Actually I really don't mind that at all. Both coppers tried their English out on me. Smiles and salutes when I replied in my execrable Thai. The local chief rozzer was standing by watching his lads. I know him (I teach his daughter) he gave me a wave but cut me no slack. Fair enough.

Passing a police "checkpoint" at a T junction halfway home, at a sober 40 km or so a motorcycle with no number plates (or silencer) and 3 lads aboard ( no helmets of course) passed me on the inside, doing about 80 kph, squeezing between me and the police tent. The assorted full time (brown uniforms) and part time (khaki fatigues) policemen never even looked up from their cellphones.

If the Ban Lao exercise was repeated at all the "checkpoints" it might go a long way to cutting the death toll. It would be inconvenient, but I wouldn't really mind it. The current exercise, with all these tents by the road, is totally pointless.

Edited by JAG

Stay off the roads. Go home and visit your family outside of the crush. Better safe than sorry.

So everyone goes home on a different date "outside of the crush"? That will just change the chaos to different days, what's the point? That wouldn't make anything better or safer.

They can't jail any more people......20,000 were arrested as announced 2 days ago...and now a further 20,000 arrested for drunk driving in the past 2 days.......who the hell makes up these figures.....Noddy and Big Ears??

Says who? Thailand has many prisons and police jails.

You seem to be the one making up the figures, where did the second lot of "20,000 arrested" come from? Which one are you, Noddy?

The Thai word for war is Songkram. How ironic, considering the number of casualties

The Thai word for this holiday is Songkran. Where's the irony?

Correct, different word and pronunciation.

One thing to bare in mind is tht the amount of commercial/freight traffic is right down over this period.....they might not have so many fatalities themselves but they can be the cause of a lot of rashdriving and collisions, specially at U-turns..

Are they actually looking at anything?

Groundhog day.

It won't happen in my lifetime, but eventually the number of deaths will spark real action on behalf of the government.

Unfortunately, they are going to have to learn the hard way.

This holidat happens every year on the same days with the same results and the same bunch of posters appear on Thaivisa moaning and groaning about Thailand and howthey should doit my way. If I was as unhappy as the many posters who spread their joy and cheer I would be long gone and defiantly not posting on a Thai board. Everyone have a happy new year and learn to accept those things you cannot change