116 Die in Songkran Traffic Accidents

webfact

Good to see drunk driving edging ahead of speeding as #1 cause, but led me to wonder how classify if drunk and speeding (which is fairly likely I would guess)? Brings to mind Beatles 45s such as "She's a Woman" on one side and "I Feel Fine" on the other: which tune is the number 1?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is on the official day one. So all the talk from the current people in charge has done little to change things. What a surprise. What a shame of so many wasted lives. If this is a civilised world you can keep it.

Day 1 was 52 dead. This number is for both day 1 and day 2.

Still below average though so all is good.

all is good ? Mmmmmmmm Edited by JSN777

The Thai word for war is Songkram. How ironic, considering the number of casualties

The Thai word for this holiday is Songkran. Where's the irony?

I think I see the point he was making,

Song-kraam, is the Thai word for war where there are battle zones and casualties.

Songgraan, is the the word the Thais use for the New Year festival Apr 13-15, where there are sometimes water battle zones and casualties.

There is surely some irony in this similarity in words, even though pronounced differently

Last year I was coming back home during the festivals. I was stopped in traffic (nightmare). The guy behind me pulled out in the passing land and ran over a motorcycle waiting to turn. I have never been so scared driving in my life. Complete craziness is putting mildly.

is it true to be a road death you must be dead at the scene,,,,not later on way to hospital or sometime later ?

Probably, I find it hard to believe they can get the numbers in so quick.

IMHO opinion there should be proper inquests where death is not natural causes, and information relating to causes of death collated into national statistics.

There areas in Thailand where I only feel safe if I am riding in a very large bus, or a tank.

I agree that if the Thailand government and people want to see a reduction in accidents and

injuries, then get the populations trained better in driving, and enforce the laws better

when they have the chance to do so. Thailand feels like North America in the 50s and 60s, and I have heard

that in Cambodia the ways are even more so. In one way I do enjoy that kind of freedom that I enjoyed back then

as a teenager. Today though I am a senior in the 60s and I do want to hang around for 20 or so more years

so I hope to see better driving practices that I have seen in the past. I sure am not going to hold my breath

as every year, it seems that the crashes and deaths do not go down in Thailand. I guess that is why I

usually do not stay around for Songkran, I just hope that this coming Winter from December to March I can once again

go to Thailand and ride my little Honda 125CC bike around in the relatively safe country side near Hua Hin and Cha Am.

Geezer

The Thai word for war is Songkram. How ironic, considering the number of casualties

Well with idiots like this one brain dead dodo of a motorcyclist, who was driving towards oncoming traffic in the RIGHT hand lane of the 6-lane Chalong Krung road in Lad Krabang, I'm not surprised by anything anymore. If most of these 116 reported deaths were caused by stupid reckless drivers like that bozo I just described, well all I can say is tough luck, one less idiot on the road.

The driving I saw today was absolutely atrocious - not much better than what I experienced in Cambodia, from where I returned this morning.

This 2-day number of traffic fatalities may actually be lower than the average. According to the WHO's numbers for 2013, there were a total of 24,237 traffic death fatalities in Thailand. That averaged to 66 road deaths each and every day. If 2013 wasn't an exceptional year for bad and/or intoxicated driving, this Songkran is actually slightly lower than the usual national average.

WHO uses a correction factor to counteract Thais only counting roadside deaths as traffic accidents, basically a BS filter. I don't remember what that factor is, but it's probably safe to multiply it by at least three.

.....any way of verifying anything they say or publish anyway.....???

......................................wouldn't matter if there was......................

......................................you'd still dispute it....................................

......................................wouldn't you...............???

Is that anything like you challenging almost everything another member posts ?

Are you a real member or as is reported elsewhere one of the mods who like stirring things up ?

No matter as you're not very good at it.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

This is on the official day one. So all the talk from the current people in charge has done little to change things. What a surprise. What a shame of so many wasted lives. If this is a civilised world you can keep it.

Thailand is anything but civilised

whistling.gif

The reason for all this slaughter is due to the way Thai are brought up and the school brainwashing.

Thai Boys especially are brought up to believe they are Demi Gods who have never been told Sit Down, Be Quiet, Your wrong.....

They do not understand the word NO!

At school they are brainwashed to believe that Thailand is #1 in the World in every way!

They believe it!

So, when they get their 'bike they still think that rules do not apply to them.

'I CAN DO WHATEVER I LIKE BECAUSE I AM A THAI BOY' who will never grow up in his head or will die early on the racetrack.

That's the reason!

.... Perhaps so, but one would think then the number of road fatalities would be astronomical rather than just high.

Being in and around Thailand for the past 3 decades, I would offer that Thais will never learn. To be fair, they aren't unlike the rest of the world - thinking 'it' will always happen to someone else. Sad really, but I'm sure it won't change in my lifetime..

they can learn other countries have done it like the uk

Why should we care,they obviously don't.

It's a sad fact and part of living here I'm afraid.

It is a terrible waste of life but nothing changes,if anything it's only going to get worse.

because they dont only kill themselves

Why should we care,they obviously don't.

It's a sad fact and part of living here I'm afraid.

It is a terrible waste of life but nothing changes,if anything it's only going to get worse.

because they dont only kill themselves

And are you going to change that ?

Maybe in another 30 years time standards may have improved,until then the carnage continues and expats such as you and me have to be aware that when travelling here on public transport or in private motor vehicles this could result in serious injury or death.

Just as the same can be said for turning on a faulty shower,touching a swimming pool hand rail or numerous other ridiculous ways of being wiped out that can be found here.

whistling.gif

The reason for all this slaughter is due to the way Thai are brought up and the school brainwashing.

Thai Boys especially are brought up to believe they are Demi Gods who have never been told Sit Down, Be Quiet, Your wrong.....

At school they are brainwashed to believe that Thailand is #1 in the World in every way!

They believe it!

'I CAN DO WHATEVER I LIKE BECAUSE I AM A THAI BOY' who will never grow up in his head or will die early on the racetrack.

That's the reason!

.... Perhaps so, but one would think then the number of road fatalities would be astronomical rather than just high.

Does anyone ever have an exact figure, or something close, for road deaths as the current method of counting doesn't allow for accuracy ?

It's nice and easy, convenient too, for the authorities as die at the scene and get counted, die later and you don't so the figures we see must be lower than the actual count even if it's a relatively small number.

whistling.gif

They believe it!

That's the reason!

Does anyone ever have an exact figure, or something close, for road deaths as the current method of counting doesn't allow for accuracy ?

It's nice and easy, convenient too, for the authorities as die at the scene and get counted, die later and you don't so the figures we see must be lower than the actual count even if it's a relatively small number.

The most accurate stats are probably from the WHO - BUT you need to read their methods for collecting and ANALYSING these stats.

Some people have the idea that Thailand excludes certain numbers because of definitions of what a road DEATH actually is......this is basically only part of the picture and is completely misinterpreted by those citing it on this thread. Do they seriously think that they know something WHO doesn't? ....Or that the WHO is obvious to the vagaries of statistics gathering throughout the world????

Whether the various stats are accurate or not, the figures are high enough to cause concern, especially when motor bike accidents account for c.80% of the total. Without taking into account the cause being speeding and drunk driving (probably involving a pick-up truck), just observing the almost insane lack of road safety practised throughout Thailand. Motor bike riders - too many on any one bike, no helmets, riding the wrong way down a carriageway, making U-turns at inappropriate junctions, weaving in and out of heavy traffic lanes, and jumping traffic lights to name several scenarios that can lead to accidents. Vehicle drivers are just as bad, except their car usually feels the brunt, not those inside.

Whether the various stats are accurate or not, the figures are high enough to cause concern, especially when motor bike accidents account for c.80% of the total. Without taking into account the cause being speeding and drunk driving (probably involving a pick-up truck), just observing the almost insane lack of road safety practised throughout Thailand. Motor bike riders - too many on any one bike, no helmets, riding the wrong way down a carriageway, making U-turns at inappropriate junctions, weaving in and out of heavy traffic lanes, and jumping traffic lights to name several scenarios that can lead to accidents. Vehicle drivers are just as bad, except their car usually feels the brunt, not those inside.

again you make driving ability the single issue - not a good overview.....

again you make driving ability the single issue - not a good overview.....

If you READ my post, it's not just about driving ability, it's HOW they are 'conditioned' to drive - although here in Thailand it's a predominant factor, IMO. But there's always one poster who tries to undermine any reasonable and constructive post. Well done, cumgrabsalum. I suggest you post your own reasons for these accidents, instead, which is remarkably absent in your mind-set..

Being in and around Thailand for the past 3 decades, I would offer that Thais will never learn. To be fair, they aren't unlike the rest of the world - thinking 'it' will always happen to someone else. Sad really, but I'm sure it won't change in my lifetime..

they can learn other countries have done it like the uk

And how long will that take? In the early 60's in the UK it became law to wear a helmet when driving a motorcycle. That law was obeyed by 99% of its citizens the next day. On 1 April 1995 it became law in TL. On the way to work in BKK I counted 35+ people not wearing a helmet. 6 years later it was much the same. I even saw one idiot wearing a party version of a policeman's helmet with a broken strap, holding it on his head with his 'free' hand.

I left TL 15 years ago due in the main to the inane way they treat everything. They are more concerned with face, being the hub of this and that and 'cracking down' on selected matters for all of a week. They don't have the inbuilt discipline and have no desire to learn it, to deal with any serious matter. If they really care about their citizens, they would have learned long long ago.

No real change then. I must say I think it is a joke to make a big thing of road safety during the major holidays, the daily average death toll is over 50 all year round. There should be massive road safety program on TV and radio and a real police crackdown on offenders. But then TIT.