An enjoyable Songkran afternoon!

FolkGuitar

My first Songkran even though I've visited Thailand for many years (and now live in CM).

I enjoyed the lead post. The atmosphere all over was one of happiness, and even on Loi Kroh there was no aggression.

Happiness, friendship, conversation and laughter with strangers, acts of kindness and consideration all around ... worth every drop of water!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday Friday was full on from Maya to where we turned off at the moat .Enjoyable for about an hour but then we had enough .

I'm not sure the route of the fun run - it was short, started at Niemen and finished I think at the moat. It was walking thought the moat to Taipae Gate that he said dead. Biggest thing to him was the lack of backpackers. Still some Thai's and backpackers around, but very few.

Still, as long as everybody enjoyed themselves and had at least a little bit of fun, all is well in the world. thumbsup.gif

Yesterday Friday was full on from Maya to where we turned off at the moat .Enjoyable for about an hour but then we had enough .

I'm not sure the route of the fun run - it was short, started at Niemen and finished I think at the moat. It was walking thought the moat to Taipae Gate that he said dead. Biggest thing to him was the lack of backpackers. Still some Thai's and backpackers around, but very few.

Still, as long as everybody enjoyed themselves and had at least a little bit of fun, all is well in the world. thumbsup.gif

And to finish up on an even more positive note, the reported traffic fatalities numbers show that the government's Songkran Safety Campaign actually had a positive result. The numbers reported (259) show a significant decline in the death toll over the 'normal daily average.' ( 340 ) With those figures in mind, 81 people get to be with their families for another year! KUDOS! to the government for a job well done!

(Unfortunately, this post will bring out all the doom-sayers disputing the veracity of any government-reported figures...)

Edited by FolkGuitar

And to finish up on an even more positive note, the reported traffic fatalities numbers show that the government's Songkran Safety Campaign actually had a positive result. The numbers reported (259) show a significant decline in the death toll over the 'normal daily average.' ( 340 ) With those figures in mind, 81 people get to be with their families for another year! KUDOS! to the government for a job well done!

(Unfortunately, this post will bring out all the doom-sayers disputing the veracity of any government-reported figures...)

I don't disagree with the number of deaths you cited....but Bangkok Post says that's a 36% increase over 2015 traffic fatalities. Accidents were up 27.7%.

Due to forum rules I can't link or quote the paper but if you google "Songkran traffic accidents" the story appears at the top of the page, posted 21 hours ago.

Similarly, Coconuts wrote:

"The first four days of Songkran’s “seven dangerous days” claimed 259 lives in road accidents from April 11-14. The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation’s road safety center also said 2,378 people were injured in 2,216 road accidents nationwide, an increase of 27.7% over last year".

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/15/songkran-road-accidents-kill-259-people-4-days

I don't disagree with the number of deaths you cited....but Bangkok Post says that's a 36% increase over 2015 traffic fatalities. Accidents were up 27.7%.

Due to forum rules I can't link or quote the paper but if you google "Songkran traffic accidents" the story appears at the top of the page, posted 21 hours ago.

Similarly, Coconuts wrote:

"The first four days of Songkran’s “seven dangerous days” claimed 259 lives in road accidents from April 11-14. The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation’s road safety center also said 2,378 people were injured in 2,216 road accidents nationwide, an increase of 27.7% over last year".

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/15/songkran-road-accidents-kill-259-people-4-days

I read the same .B.P,saying a big increase in deaths over last year ,which i did not expect due to the more rigorous alcohol breath tests .

2,378 people were injured in 2,216 road accidents nationwide, an increase of 27.7% over last year".

Yes... perhaps an increase over last Songkran, yet still a decrease in the national average. Correct?

I wonder why they (and you) leave that part out?

I guess positive reports just don't make for as grabbing headlines as doom and gloom, eh?

2,378 people were injured in 2,216 road accidents nationwide, an increase of 27.7% over last year".

Yes... perhaps an increase over last Songkran, yet still a decrease in the national average. Correct?

I guess positive reports just don't make for as grabbing headlines as doom and gloom, eh?

It is called REALITY ... there is a slaughter out there on the roads, but on the brite side I did not hear of any pedestrians getting run over in the city so....all is well.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Seems to me that newspapers are more accurate than someone on the internet that won't quote his source.

Thank-you. You have just proved (to the rest of us) that you are just making things up. Your credibility from now on is toast.

Proved to you? Good thing you aren't doing jury duty!

But let me understand... Are you talking about worrying about credibility from an anonymous poster on an Internet forum?

And I'm supposed to be upset that another anonymous poster doesn't think I'm credible?

I'm probably going to lose sleep over this... clap2.gif

It is called REALITY ... there is a slaughter out there on the roads, but on the brite side I did not hear of any pedestrians getting run over in the city so....all is well.

As you say, there are certainly two sides that one can look at... or wallow in. It's our choice which we pick. Personally, I prefer to see the positive side. I acknowledge that there is also a negative side, but I don't choose to live there. If you can show me why one should live so negatively, and the reasons are valid, I'm certainly open-minded enough to change. But until that happens, I prefer to be happy.

I've lived through a 12 year drought that forced the state government to build a desalination plant (the drought broke just as they started building that little money pit) and it made me appreciate saving water and having restrictions. The dam levels are so low, I honestly agree with the government for doing it. Not being a killjoy, we are rapidly running out of water and have saved one third of what would have been used.

Are you from the Gold Coast by any chance?

Well, here are the actual numbers compared to last year....not sure how you claim that's a "decrease in the national average". And the other posters above are correct, you've provided no reference for your (incorrect) supposition.

"These are the statistics from each day this year, 2016, with the previous year in brackets:

Day 1: 52 deaths (25) and 431 injuries (348) in 387 reported accidents (324)
Day 2: 64 deaths (34) and 550 injured (417) in 520 reported accidents (399)
Day 3: 65 deaths (62) and 796 injured (516) in 754 reported accidents (492)
Day 4: 78 deaths (70) and 601 injured (527) in 555 reported accidents (520)
Day 5: 79 deaths (60) and 513 injured (724) in 508 reported accidents (671)
The total number of deaths for the first FIVE days is 338 (251)"

I'd still like to hear your explanation for your statement that its "lower than the average".

Can you do that, or not?

Sorry, but my answer was removed by the Moderator when 'adjusting' your question. But I'll repeat it...

Had you bothered to read earlier posts, you would have already seen my explanation and not needed to ask about it.

I suggest that if you are still interested, you look at the rest of the thread. There is no reason to repost what has already been written.

Well, here are the actual numbers compared to last year....not sure how you claim that's a "decrease in the national average". And the other posters above are correct, you've provided no reference for your (incorrect) supposition.

"These are the statistics from each day this year, 2016, with the previous year in brackets:

You are absolutely correct. These are the correct figures for the first 5 days of Songkran...

I guess you also didn't bother to read what I posted... I did NOT compare 'Songkran' statistics to last year's Songkran statistics. I compared them to the daily national average.

I posted about 'daily national average,' You know... the one that is figured for the entire year, not SONGKRAN Daily averages. I stated that very clearly.

If you wish to argue my posting, at least have the sense to argue what I was posting about, not what you'd like it to be about.

You are absolutely correct. These are the correct figures for the first 5 days of Songkran...

I guess you also didn't bother to read what I posted... I did NOT compare 'Songkran' statistics to last year's Songkran statistics. I compared them to the daily national average.

I posted about 'daily national average,' You know... the one that is figured for the entire year, not SONGKRAN Daily averages. I stated that very clearly.

If you wish to argue my posting, at least have the sense to argue what I was posting about, not what you'd like it to be about.

Thank you....and, just to remind you, what you actually said was:

"And to finish up on an even more positive note, the reported traffic fatalities numbers show that the government's Songkran Safety Campaign actually had a positive result."

False.....fail.

Edited by Diplomatico

Thank you....and, just to remind you, what you actually said was:

"And to finish up on an even more positive note, the reported traffic fatalities numbers show that the government's Songkran Safety Campaign actually had a positive result."

False.....fail.

Tell that to the 81 people who will get to spend this next year with their families. According to the 'daily national average,' they should have died, but didn't. 81 people alive.... To me, that's a win. You may not want to think they are alive because of the Songkran Safety Campaign, because it wasn't AS EFFECTIVE as last year, but the fact remains... 81 more people are alive because of it.

You may wish to compare it to Songkran figures. You may wish to compare it to driving fatalities in Toledo, Ohio. I don't particularly care. I'm just happy that 81 people still live.

If you prefer to be unhappy, that is your right. I won't stop you.

I don't really understand why this traffic safety statistics talk matters in the context of this topic.. Yes, Thailand's roads are dangerous. Lots of people killed on any given weekday of the year. And then around festivals where a lot of people go on holiday or visit family in their home towns, there are more accidents; you see this around the December 31 / January 1st holiday period too.

I think I knew that when I signed up. And personally I don't do long distance road trips around these holidays. (Not that I'd want to, as Chiang Mai is one of the funnest places to be for it anyway.)

Songkran was a lot quieter this year compared to several years ago. Lots of people out and about but compared to just last year, I thought numbers were down. A few of my Thai friends got busted for drunk driving. They just paid up front and continued onwards with their travels. Nothing surprises me.

Lots less ice in the water as well. We had to get a cart for our motorcycle to go and get the ice this year. Previous years they delivered to the front of the Hostel that my friends own near Mad Dogs. As per normal, the first day was pretty wild, and all had fun in our group.

The funniest thing I saw on the first day was when a big Hino truck full of police drove past and got held up in traffic. Some Thai guy had a huge hose with a pump on it, managed somehow to open a window in the back of the Truck and proceeded to fill the vehicle up with water. Nothing was said, but everyone inside the truck was dripping wet, and all the Thais around us just laughed like mad.

Kids are still throwing water this afternoon in our village when we went to visit family.