Re-entry permit, does it extend visa end date?

Hello all,

I am on a non-B visa which is due to expire in mid June. If I go out for a 17 day trip in May, will this move back the date the visa expires?

For example - it is due to expire on June 15th, I go out for a couple of weeks, then will they restamp it on re-entry so that the visa will then end on July 31st.

Kind regards,

Ryk.

If it's a visa it depends if it is multiple entry or single entry. In the first case you can re-enter the country latest 15 June and you would get another 90 days.

If it is an extension of stay, as previously said, the re-entry permit will be dated 15 June. No additional 90 days, you need to apply for a new extension.

Yes, you need to clarify if you are talking about the expiration date of the visa or of the permission to stay (the date you were given on the entry stamp or on a subsequent extension of stay granted by immigration). These differ, the expiration of the visa is the date by which you must enter the country whereas the permission to stay is the amount of time allowed to remain in country once you have entered.

As others have said, a re-entry visa will be valid only through the date of your current permission to stay.

Depending on your nationality and also mode of travel (air vs. land crossing) you might be able to re-enter visa exempt and get a 30 day stay...which if what you are after is to stay through end of July might work.

• Like 2

• If you have a multiple entry non 'B' visa valid ('enter before' date) until June 15th you will receive a new 90 day entry when you re-enter. No re-entry permit needed.

If you have an extension of stay based on work, with permission to stay until June 15th, and re-enter with a re-entry permit the IO will grant you permission to stay until June 15th.

Edited by elviajero

• If you have a non 'B' visa valid ('enter before' date) until June 15th you will receive a new 90 day entry when you re-enter. No re-entry permit needed.
  • If you have an extension of stay based on work, with permission to stay until June 15th, and re-enter with a re-entry permit the IO will grant you permission to stay until June 15th.

That would only work with a Multi Entry Visa.

The OP (as is common) has not specified exactly what is in the passport.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the contributions, my question was answered by the first couple of replies. Sorry to the last guy for my unspecific post, hope it didn't upset your day too much.

To be fair, the correct answer to your question depends on giving the correct information to begin with. Visas and permissions to stay or extensions of stay are not the same thing and their separate expiration dates have different implications.