Thai family member in need of help, Yabba. (Isaan).

djingen

So the story goes like this....

One of my thai gf very close relatives are hooked big time on Yabba. The problem is not only that, as well my wife is likely to be the only one at the moment who can/will know her god enough to confront her with that. My gf lives as me in BKK. Her relative lives in Loei, Isaan.

It's very difficult for my gf to fully confront her with this problem, though the relative (of course) get's very upset etc. etc. And also she has no extra people to back her up in the confrontation. Pity on top of that is that my wife is not in the right position to announce me as her bf at the moment. Also it would prob. NOT look good if a farang just walked in to confront her relative.

For sure this has been going on for about 2 years, the person is as well a bit lonely and most relatives disappeared or died of different reasons. My gf knows if this relative doesn't get help soon it will be prison or death for sure.

So any advice? for example, any help org. center near Loei? I am very interested as well to get the relative to the infamous, but good Temple treatment/ programs.

Any good information is helpful. /Thnx in advance.

It is enormously addictive psychologically, though

Djingen - there are government programs for drug abusers and the local government hospital, even a small district hospital, will have info on it. There are also high priced private residential programs but very costly. And there is the temple program you refer to, which is http://wat-thamkrabok.org/

The Wat program is free of charge, residential - but voluntary which means she has to want to stop and be motivated enough to enter such a program. Which is usually the sticking point

she could walk away from it in 7 days .

It would be better if the poster walked away from the whole family before he got dragged into it and ends up guilt ridden, penniless or worse.

My gf
my wife

Make up your mind.

There are also high priced private residential programs but very costly.

Thats where the usefulness of the farang boyfriend/husband comes in.

Edited by MUSTYJACK

If you don't know her well, you will not likely be welcome... nobody wants a stranger tlling them to make vast changes in their life...

Your wife's chances are also pretty slim, especially at a distance.

I have been down that road before and the person would never admit to anyone there was a problem, denying it all the time, until she finally reached 70 lbs and asked for help.

It's good to see peoples comments, who cares. Thnx. Happy to see any more advices.

Btw, if I write wife/gf doesn't matter. And I will not leave my gf who btw is doing good by her job and free in her life. It's her relative who has the problem.

Thankful for more, real advises that some of you already given.

And I will not leave my gf who btw is doing good by her job and free in her life. It's her relative who has the problem.

Good for you, that is an honourable sentiment, but you should realise that Thai family ties are in most cases incredibly strong, often stronger than the ties of marriage and if her relative has a problem, then the whole family, including your wife, has that problem and then it can very easily become your problem too with all that that entails.

D. - your Gf will not likely drag you into this type of family problem... though it is true as stated above, that family ties can be strong, the family will also recognize that there is not much anyone can do... as alcoholism, the person has to recognize the problem first - what you can do is be supportive and understanding of your wife...

good luck with it -

Don't get involved. You cannot force someone to get clean. It has to be the users decision. And I am pretty sure that you getting involved will end with you being told what a stupid farang you are. Substance abuse within a family is a nightmare. Think twice before getting involved.

And ignore the stupid comments saying you should leave her. It is not her fault a family member is hooked on speed.

Edited by inbangkok

Yes not easy to walk away from.

Plenty of Thais seem to manage their addiction though and I often wonder why.

Somehow they seem to be more resilient than folks in the west that get hooked on methamphetamines.

she could walk away from it in 7 days .

It would be better if the poster walked away from the whole family before he got dragged into it and ends up guilt ridden, penniless or worse.

my wife

Make up your mind.

There are also high priced private residential programs but very costly.

Thats where the usefulness of the farang boyfriend/husband comes in.

Well you could consider that too,but I think GTTFOOI comes in,not one penny,not one thought in your direction

What about temples? I'm not religious myself but I've seen people, including my wife's brother going to temple for detox, though with mixed outcomes. Some stay clean while others don't.

Another option I saw on TV (National Geographic channel I think) was a detox center where they drank something disgusting so they kept puking and puking. I can't remember what else was involved in the treatment, though it was something more to it than just puking. It was located in BKK and was very successful with cleaning people up and fewer than normal went back to using drugs or alcohol.

A third option are these one week "cleaning" places on islands (and maybe elsewhere too) where you go through one week with fasting, spa, yoga and possibly something else. I can't say whether it is successful or not but I know there are people going there to detox and not just these new age backpacker hippie free thinkers or whatever they are.

The last option that I know of in Thailand are these detox centers similar to the ones we got in the west. But I know nothing about them other than there are a very few of them, and at leased some of them are used by celebrities and wealthy people.

It's good to see peoples comments, who cares. Thnx. Happy to see any more advices.

Btw, if I write wife/gf doesn't matter. And I will not leave my gf who btw is doing good by her job and free in her life. It's her relative who has the problem.

Thankful for more, real advises that some of you already given.

I'd still like to know if your chosen one is your wife or g/f? Otherwise, agree totally wife reply #4

Djingen - there are government programs for drug abusers and the local government hospital, even a small district hospital, will have info on it. There are also high priced private residential programs but very costly. And there is the temple program you refer to, which is http://wat-thamkrabok.org/

The Wat program is free of charge, residential - but voluntary which means she has to want to stop and be motivated enough to enter such a program. Which is usually the sticking point

Sheryl is absolutely right. The family will have to persuade her that she actually needs help herself, just as with trying to give up smoking, alcohol abuse or any other substance abuse. The desire has to come from within. Could it be combined at a pre selected temple that offers help with seeking a merit, thus disguising the real motive behind the visit?

Thanks again for all advice and support. You guys are great!

I hope in some good way this can be sovled but my guess is that it have to take a bit longer for my gf to convince her relative. Then as you guys know, it's difficult for many Thai's with the classical "confrontation" here in Thailand. At the moment I am merely a support for my gf. My self have had a family member back in my home country with similar issues. But that's EU a totally different kind of view in culture of course.

I hoep it can be fixed. The biggest problem though as I see it :( :( Is that my gf is alone in this. My gf supports her mother with money every month, and as my gf is doing good in her job that is no problem at the moment. But we all know where the money is going :( pity pity.

Ok anyway thank alot for moral views and recommendation. Thnx @Sheryl for the link as well!

/DAn.

....this is absolutely self-inflicted....

....and the user is 'in the driver's seat'.....

...2 years...have to question where they have been getting money....and drugs all this time....

...considering it is illegal.....this is a job for the authorities....

...otherwise one can be considered as condoning or supporting the use of illegal drugs and the drug trade....

...as for a foreigner getting mixed up in this.....make sure you don't end up with the finger pointing at you...

...or get bombarded with 'sympathetic reasons' why you have to lay out some cash...if this has not happened already...

...as for your gf....what do you know about her if anything...except what she 'volunteers'.....

What about temples? I'm not religious myself but I've seen people, including my wife's brother going to temple for detox, though with mixed outcomes. Some stay clean while others don't.

Another option I saw on TV (National Geographic channel I think) was a detox center where they drank something disgusting so they kept puking and puking. I can't remember what else was involved in the treatment, though it was something more to it than just puking. It was located in BKK and was very successful with cleaning people up and fewer than normal went back to using drugs or alcohol.

A third option are these one week "cleaning" places on islands (and maybe elsewhere too) where you go through one week with fasting, spa, yoga and possibly something else. I can't say whether it is successful or not but I know there are people going there to detox and not just these new age backpacker hippie free thinkers or whatever they are.

The last option that I know of in Thailand are these detox centers similar to the ones we got in the west. But I know nothing about them other than there are a very few of them, and at leased some of them are used by celebrities and wealthy people.

All good advice and options, however, the problem is getting the user to go to one of these facilities.

The user will, almost certainly, deny they have a problem in the first place.

Not your problem. If this person comes anywhere near your house she will steal everything. If you report anything to anyone and it comes out then you will have visits from people you don't want to have visits from. I can only see you loosing money in this. I can only see problems in this. Another money scam? ?

Your gf problems is not yours. If you want it to be then be prepared for the consequences

Take a back seat mate,your a farang and will only make matters worse.dont waste one baht on this as its been 2 years and she past help.if she really wants help then let her go and find it.if she ain't got the strength to do that she ain't going nowhere.being stuck in Loei don't help where there's nothing to do but drugs.a lot of Thai have no future and this drug sorts that problem out for them.remember what I said...take a back seat or face hell.

Sheryl is the one to listen to.

She gives nothing but great advise.

That's why i like TV, there are some really good moderators and practical advice.

She, like many others on here, does give good advice at times.

We have had all the choices of where the addict can go for help, all well and good.

I have known addicts, both here and in the UK, although not all for ya ba.

The point is, they will deny any problem, when approached, and will almost certainly NOT volunteer for any of these programmes.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, and maybe organising a urine test from the police, and facing the consequences of a positive test, would be the start of a very long road to recovery.

Take a back seat mate,your a farang and will only make matters worse.dont waste one baht on this as its been 2 years and she past help.if she really wants help then let her go and find it.if she ain't got the strength to do that she ain't going nowhere.being stuck in Loei don't help where there's nothing to do but drugs.a lot of Thai have no future and this drug sorts that problem out for them.remember what I said...take a back seat or face hell.

I honestly dont know how you can say this is not a physically addictive drug.. It totally changes your brains function level.. It destroys the ability to create natural dopamine levels, and starts deteriorating your brain , and body. You cannot find happiness without it. The cure rate is almost next to none. I have seen friends lives go to crap and then ultimately die. yes, psychologically they are ruined, but physically they need it to maintain the dopamine or balance to sustain or get that first high. Completely changes you physically and mentally. The craving for ice in my opinion would seem to be physical or people wouldnt be stealing, etc for it. Something like marijuana to me would be psychologically addictive. This is a drug that you cannot just walk away from. It is highly addictive.

I honestly dont know how you can say this is not a physically addictive drug.. It totally changes your brains function level.. It destroys the ability to create natural dopamine levels, and starts deteriorating your brain , and body. You cannot find happiness without it. The cure rate is almost next to none. I have seen friends lives go to crap and then ultimately die. yes, psychologically they are ruined, but physically they need it to maintain the dopamine or balance to sustain or get that first high. Completely changes you physically and mentally. The craving for ice in my opinion would seem to be physical or people wouldnt be stealing, etc for it. Something like marijuana to me would be psychologically addictive. This is a drug that you cannot just walk away from. It is highly addictive.

Coming down

It might sound obvious, but if you're coming down from methamphetamine you're likely to feel the opposite of what you feel when you're the high. So you'll have trouble making decisions, poor concentration and difficulty planning.

You may also have headaches, blurred vision and start to feel hungry.

It's pretty common to feel flat, depressed, jittery and anxious. As well you may feel exhausted and want to sleep for a day or two, although you may have difficulty sleeping, explains Lee.

Some people may also feel very irritable or have mild psychotic symptoms like paranoia and hallucinations.

"The 'come down' period is like a hangover, a recovery period after which people may move into withdrawal if they are dependent,"

this seems like a physical addiction to me, and most likely why they continue to pursue the drug and are up for days on end.. the coming down is mai dee