Phuket Songkran road death toll holds at zero

snoop1130

Phuket Songkran road death toll holds at zero
Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-249866-0-91737800-1460632921_thumb.

PHUKET: -- The number of people killed on Phuket’s roads since the Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign for Songkran began three days ago remains at zero.

Day 3 of the campaign closed at midnight last night (Apr 13), with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Phuket office recording 16 people injured (12 males, four females) in 13 accidents across the island during the preceding 24 hours.

Seven of the accidents occurred in Mueang District, four accidents were in Kathu and two more were recorded in Thalang.

Drunk driving remains the top reason given as the cause of the accidents during the holidays.

The DDPM also reported that so far during the campaign police have fined 2,182 people for not wearing helmets while riding a motorbike. A further 120 people have been charged with drunk driving and 1,076 for driving without a license.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-songkran-road-death-toll-holds-at-zero-57027.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-14

I thought a board member had reported a death in Rawai ??

That would have been me. Now I can't prove anything, it's just what i heard from locals there.

They said an old expat got knocked from his bike by a bucket of water and hit the pavement with his head, cracking it.

We all know people sometimes like to make up stories but it wouldn't be the first time some old guy dies like this in Rawai.

BTW, last night (13th to 14th) I went home around midnight and was surprised that all the way from Rawai to Pa Khlok, I wasn't stopped once at a police check point. They were manned but didn't actively stop anyone. But it was clear that some drivers were drunk.