Water conservation does not dampen Songkran celebration mood

webfact

Water conservation does not dampen water festival celebration mood

IMGP3452-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Despite of water conservation campaign by the government, the Songkran water festival mood was not hampered and tourism revenue was also expected to rise.

Deputy director in charge of marketing communication of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Mr Sukri Sitthiwanich said that even though there has been an official campaign to conserve water due to the national drought crisis, enthusiasm and enjoyment of Songkran has not been hampered in anyway.

Revelers all over the country have cooperated with the effort and the famed festival is still full of fun and happiness for all.

He estimated that during the festival, which is from April 13 – 17, income generated from tourism alone will exceed 15 billion baht which represents an 18% increase.

Of these, 6 billion will come from local tourists and 9 billion from foreign visitors.

He said of the foreign tourists to the country, the highest numbers are from China, closely followed by Korea and Thailand’s neighbors such as Myanmar and Laos.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159635

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-15

I see absolutely no evidence of water conservation.blink.png

despite the police saying pickup trucks with gangs of people roaming the streets were not allowed this year, they are still out there in abundance.

last night in the streets adjoining my building they were still throwing water at 10:30 PMfacepalm.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

despite the police saying pickup trucks with gangs of people roaming the streets were not allowed this year, they are still out there in abundance.

last night in the streets adjoining my building they were still throwing water at 10:30 PMfacepalm.gif

clap2.gif Agree. Certainly no evidence of conservation in my area, just the same as every year.

However the party line is that everything was a success of course and lots of money changed hands so just another happy few days in the hub of happiness.

Carnage on the roads ? Wait until next Monday for the spin on that to start.

clap2.gif Agree. Certainly no evidence of conservation in my area, just the same as every year.

However the party line is that everything was a success of course and lots of money changed hands so just another happy few days in the hub of happiness.

I will have to say in my part of Thailand in running around western Bangkok and some of next door Nakhon Pathom province the water splashing, throwing, squirting has been way, way down. And I've hardly seen any vehicles which has been splashed with water "and powder"...in years past (like last year) it was easy to see many vehicles which looked like they got 10 kilos of powder thrown on their vehicle. So far this is the first year when I have not had my vehicle splashed while driving around because of so few people doing it. That's my report from my little part of Thailand.

I will have to say in my part of Thailand in running around western Bangkok and some of next door Nakhon Pathom province the water splashing, throwing, squirting has been way, way down. And I've hardly seen any vehicles which has been splashed with water "and powder"...in years past (like last year) it was easy to see many vehicles which looked like they got 10 kilos of powder thrown on their vehicle. So far this is the first year when I have not had my vehicle splashed while driving around because of so few people doing it. That's my report from my little part of Thailand.

It just seems absolutely daft (and as usual and as expected rolleyes.gif ) once again no one is out there enforcing laws and restrictions which are meant to cope with new conditions in this country. I hope in two months time they will not be looking back and saying ' we shouldn't have wasted all that water."

Thailand hit by its worst drought in decades

The situation is so bad at the Ubolrat dam they are about to dip into what is locally known as "dead storage" - this refers to the last 1 percent in the bottom of the reservoir.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/03/thailand-hit-worst-drought-decades-160330102123735.html

Edited by Asiantravel

TAT is demonstrating bald-faced, arrogant defiance of water conservation principals called for by the very government they report to. And now gloat about now much money was made? sick.gif

The priorities are mind boggling. Flip the bird to the government on some things, nothing happens, which just reinforces the behavior, and reputation as a 3rd rate, lawless, sweaty SE Asian banana republic.

Call the PM a name on Facebook, you're in for some "training" at an Army base somewhere. Which also reinforces the reputation as a 3rd rate................

I did 1 day in BKK and 1 day in an adjoining province. The BKK event around paragon / central world was actually pretty well reined in in terms of water use. Near paragon they had the taps on with connected hosepipes. Filling up was a pretty tedious affair, and if this was the intention it worked a treat.

At central world the only places you could get ice were from vendors outside at 10baht a time, definitely making people a bit more aware of how much they used. And also central world used foam at a dedicated stage in lieu of water which was at the time quite sound (cleaning up after though maybe not so easy).

Around the capital in other areas I didn't see much in the way of large gatherings throwing water around.

In the provinces however, absolute madness with water of varying colours and compositions in huge blue bins. Pretty sure that's what made me badly ill.

All in all though, The average Thai in the street doesn't think proactively about conservation of water, and won't really care until the taps run dry / serious rationing comes into effect. I just hope the weathermen are wrong and the monsoon kicks off in the next couple of months before it gets to a critical stage

I did 1 day in BKK and 1 day in an adjoining province. The BKK event around paragon / central world was actually pretty well reined in in terms of water use. Near paragon they had the taps on with connected hosepipes. Filling up was a pretty tedious affair, and if this was the intention it worked a treat.

At central world the only places you could get ice were from vendors outside at 10baht a time, definitely making people a bit more aware of how much they used. And also central world used foam at a dedicated stage in lieu of water which was at the time quite sound (cleaning up after though maybe not so easy).

Around the capital in other areas I didn't see much in the way of large gatherings throwing water around.

In the provinces however, absolute madness with water of varying colours and compositions in huge blue bins. Pretty sure that's what made me badly ill.

All in all though, The average Thai in the street doesn't think proactively about conservation of water, and won't really care until the taps run dry / serious rationing comes into effect. I just hope the weathermen are wrong and the monsoon kicks off in the next couple of months before it gets to a critical stage

Its sickening to watch adults teaching their children how to waste this precious resource. I watched one guy just stand by the street with his garden hose turned on full tilt and spray passing cars. All the time I watched him he never once turned it off.

Its sickening to watch adults teaching their children how to waste this precious resource. I watched one guy just stand by the street with his garden hose turned on full tilt and spray passing cars. All the time I watched him he never once turned it off.
That must have been shocking for you, I don't know how you could even bear to watch.

Were you actually physically ill, or just hyperbolically sickened in a metaphoric kind of way?

Edited by HooHaa

Earlier this week after checking out at Tesco Lotus the checkout cashier said take the receipt over to the customer service desk to get a gift. Was allowed to pickout a water rifle worth around a 100 baht and the wife picked some house hold gift....but most of the gifts were water guns. Guess Lotus was promoting water gun use in hopes of getting people to avoid the use of water hoses and barrels of water...you know, save water, but I'm guessing....it was probably just a cheap gift they knew most people could use for the upcoming Songkran period. The water rifle is still in its plastic packing....I'll save it for future water wars.

That must have been shocking for you, I don't know how you could even bear to watch.

Were you actually physically ill, or just hyperbolically sickened in a metaphoric kind of way?

Congratulations winner of the smart ass of the year award. Nice try on the big words you failed in the spelling though. Yes it was shocking for me. I imagine in a couple months you will be at the head of the whiners list for non existent water.

Can confirm the same for our Amphur in Sakon Nakhon. Things is down by 80-90% compared to last year.

I wish they'd conserved some water around here, then perhaps we would have some coming out of our taps instead of being splashed over passing cars on the other side of the village.

"I wish they'd conserved some water around here..."

They? Wouldn't "they" include you if it is the village you live in? What water conservation measures did you implement before the drought affected your water supply?

The water used in Songkran celebrations would have made no difference whatsoever to your water supply.

Any & all the water throw around in the provinces ends up back in the land anyway! actual drains are few and far between, water in Bangkok and Pattaya and other seaside resorts will end up in the sea due to years of neglect by governments who had different agenda's.

The present government would be better of having AA (attitude adjustment) seminars for drivers of motorised vehicle drivers rather than trying to convince them that the "charter" is the ONLY way forward.

It just seems absolutely daft (and as usual and as expected rolleyes.gif ) once again no one is out there enforcing laws and restrictions which are meant to cope with new conditions in this country. I hope in two months time they will not be looking back and saying ' we shouldn't have wasted all that water.

What "laws and restrictions" are those?

If you're referring to Songkran water use bear in mind that there were no restrictions, the authorities gave the go ahead for reasonable use of water and in Bangkok that seems to have been what happened. Much more restrained than usual, I did not see one single pickup cruising around with water tanks this year.

TAT is demonstrating bald-faced, arrogant defiance of water conservation principals called for by the very government they report to. And now gloat about now much money was made? sick.gif

The government gave the go ahead for Songkran activities on a number of occasions. That Thaivisa members choose to ignore the authorisation to enjoy the usual activities is their (your) problem. Get over it.

Why didn't you remind him that Songkran water games weren't allowed this year? Oh, hang on, they were allowed. The government gave the ok for it several times.

All this talk of saving water and for what ? If it doesn't rain again everyone is going to die. Cancel Sonkran and you will have all lived and extra 3 days.

The reason there is a lack of water has nothing to do with people throwing it away for a couple of days.

I wish they'd conserved some water around here, then perhaps we would have some coming out of our taps instead of being splashed over passing cars on the other side of the village.

"I wish they'd conserved some water around here..."

They? Wouldn't "they" include you if it is the village you live in? What water conservation measures did you implement before the drought affected your water supply?

The water used in Songkran celebrations would have made no difference whatsoever to your water supply.

If you're familiar with hydrodynamics you would understand why all the tank filling in the village left us, and several of our neighbours on the outskirts of the village, without water for four days, and counting.

What did I do; I added an extra 500 litre storage tank to my system, and we've had to stop watering the trees, some of which we have lost.

Situation a couple of weeks ago; We only lost pressure at peak demand, in the morning between approximately 06:00 and 09:00 then again at approximately between 17:00 and 20:00.

Peak demand now appears to be between 00:01 and 23:59, no approximation necessary!

Twice so far we've had to go to the farm of the girlfriends father to fill three 250 litre tubs and ferry them across the village to our place, which is only two years old and awaiting the drilling of our own borehole. Maybe I should have given the borehole a higher priority on the (huge) list of things that need to be done, but a roof over our heads and a secure perimeter fence seemed important at the time.

Tell me again how Songkran would have made no difference to our water supply!!

Same here. There is a guy standing outside a construction site with the hose on. Eight times I've walked by since Wednesday and it was running free waiting for people to pass each time.

The government gave the go ahead for Songkran activities on a number of occasions. That Thaivisa members choose to ignore the authorisation to enjoy the usual activities is their (your) problem. Get over it.

I'm aware of that. That's the irony. And half their (your) problem. The fact you can't or won't get over that, is just another stripe from the same dysfunctional zebra.

Congratulations winner of the smart ass of the year award. Nice try on the big words you failed in the spelling though. Yes it was shocking for me. I imagine in a couple months you will be at the head of the whiners list for non existent water.

He has my congratulations too (although mine are not sarcastic) and he wasn't being a smart arse, the smart arse was you with your pompous indignance at someone doing what they are allowed to do.

In a couple of months when there will be (still) enough water I imagine you will be at the top of the list of those withdrawing their "non-existent water" comments.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer