Installing Speed Bumps

mzep

I live next to a short and narrow street (cars can't use it) where scooters and motorcycles tend to accelerate to unsafe levels, leading to numerous close-calls that will inevitably result in serious injuries and/or deaths. Is there any way to request the permission to install a couple of speed bumps (which I would be willing to arrange and pay for) to reduce the chance of accidents? If you know if permission is required, and if so - who to approach to get one, kindly advise. Thanks.

They have the plastic ones in Global (orange/black). You could remove them if someone complains. I'd just try the next police station and ask them, if they give their nod you can always point back to them. I don't think anything would happen if you try to approach DLT.

The farang knows better than the Thai. But the Thai usually don't like it that way. So, if you start talking around about your idea--which I agree sounds like a cure for this problem, everyone will know that you're the one who's behind the speed bumps. They will probably nod in agreement, but do nothing about it because it's not their idea. Even if you're paying for it.

But, if you do get some kind of consent to go ahead, be firm in how much you're willing to pay. Do it yourself, as you say, if you can. Having others--official or non-official--do it will certainly quadruple the cost. You'll then refuse to pay that amount, and things will continue as normal with no speed bumps, and the usual number of careless cyclists.

In a related situation I tried the same some two years ago. Their price was ridiculously over-inflated so everyone would get his cut. I more or less told them that they were crazy. Nothing more has been done since.

Edited by MrBrad

The problem with speed bumps and motorcycles is that some will go straight over the bump at a slow speed while another will do a slalom maneuver at high speed or that one will come to a near stop to cross while another comes from behind at full speed and sees the bump as a motocross hurdle and crosses at full-speed maybe even flying a bit through the air. It is these speed differentials which can -- and does -- cause accidents.

As for putting a flower pot or cable IN the road, are you serious?

Edited by JLCrab

What a coincidence, I just bought speed bumps yesterday in Surin after 29½ years in this country, I bought them at HomePro. I needed 3 m, so I bought 3 black and three yellow (50 cm length each) at 339 Baht each. Complete in rubber cost 469 Baht a unit. We live in a small village, so we do not need an authorization. I dunno about you.

post-5472-0-26936600-1460734545_thumb.jp

post-5472-0-96063800-1460734563_thumb.jp

He called it a 'short and narrow street' in Post #1 ... and the suggestion was to put out a potted plant so the motor bikes couldn't do a slalom maneuver around the speed bumps. Speed bumps as in the photo above at HomePro can also be for parking lots and other private uses uses other than in public traffic right-of-ways.

While speed bumps can certainly prevent accidents, in Thailand, they can also cause them as well as both motorbikes and cars devise various means at any given bump installation so as NOT to be impeded by them.

Edited by JLCrab

Some of the speed bumps in our moo baan were removed as apparently there were complaints that they were causing drivers to have to slow down and damage may be caused to their vehicles if they went over them too fast.

True.

They've recently fixed the speed bumps in front of the Mercure Hotel near Tops-Chotana. There was one there that was so severe you couldn't get over it without bottoming out, even a lightweight person on a motorbike would hit it going very slowly.

They've recently fixed the speed bumps in front of the Mercure Hotel near Tops-Chotana. There was one there that was so severe you couldn't get over it without bottoming out, even a lightweight person on a motorbike would hit it going very slowly.

That was a, perhaps the, classic speed bump in town. Repair shops just lost a lot of work.

tongue.png

Bottle of 100 Pipers and head over to the Puu Yai Baan's house. Explain the problem, explain how worried you are that someone will be seriously iinjured and ask him if he can think of a solution. He will sort the rest.