259 die and 2,378 injured in four days of Songkran festival celebration

webfact

....can't wait to read about what a great success it's been again....

...'anything goes'.....this is one of the results I guess.....

...when people have the deluded/delusional disposition that 'they can do no wrong'..

.....and 'anything bad can go away with a candle or a joss stick or a selective donation to a specific monk or temple.... or an apology...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....can't wait to read about what a great success it's been again....

...'anything goes'.....this is one of the results I guess.....

...when people have the deluded/delusional disposition that 'they can do no wrong'..

.....and 'anything bad can go away with a candle or a joss stick or a selective donation to a specific monk or temple.... or an apology...

..... Or payment to a victim's family.

How are these numbers compared with last year ? Any improvement ? Would be nice to see the last 5 years just to compare.

Easy, easy and since 2007

Songkran 2007: 361 deaths, 4,805 injuries and 4,274 accidents

Songkran 2008: 368 deaths, 4,801 injuries and 4,243 accidents

Songkran 2009: 373 deaths, 4,332 injuries and 3,977 accidents

Songkran 2010: 361 deaths, 3,802 injuries and 3,516 accidents

Songkran 2011: 271 deaths, 3,476 injuries and 3,215 accidents

Songkran 2012: 320 deaths, 3,320 injuries and 3,129 accidents

Songkran 2013: 321 deaths, 3,040 injuries and 2,828 accidents

Songkran 2014: 322 deaths, 3,225 injuries and 2,992 accidents

Songkran 2015: 364 deaths, 3,559 injuries and 3,373 accidents

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2015/

The basic problem is that there is virtually no enforcement of the law on the roads. Seldom do you see a police officer pull over someone for a moving violation such as not using signal lights, speeding, driving partially in two lanes, improper lane use, driving the wrong direction (motorbikes), driving on the shoulder of the road, undertaking, etc., etc..

People in most countries follow the rules of the road because they know the rules and they know they will be enforced and when they are enforced, you will pay a healthy fine.

In Thailand, one only has to worry about the occasional roadblock.

Meanwhile, there are police at checkpoints right across the land staring at their phones wondering how this can happen. Again. crazy.gif

I seriously doubt that any of those police are 'wondering how this can happen'. That would imply that they actually care, which they obviously do not.

True, but I was at least trying to give them some credit... gigglem.gif

How are these numbers compared with last year ? Any improvement ? Would be nice to see the last 5 years just to compare.

So far this year—the first four days—there have been, on average, 65 deaths per day.

Statistics from previous years are:

Songkran 2007: 361 deaths, 4,805 injuries and 4,274 accidents - 51 deaths per day

Songkran 2008: 368 deaths, 4,801 injuries and 4,243 accidents - 52 deaths per day

Songkran 2009: 373 deaths, 4,332 injuries and 3,977 accidents - 53 deaths per day

Songkran 2010: 361 deaths, 3,802 injuries and 3,516 accidents - 51 deaths per day

Songkran 2011: 271 deaths, 3,476 injuries and 3,215 accidents - 38 deaths per day

Songkran 2012: 320 deaths, 3,320 injuries and 3,129 accidents - 45 deaths per day

Songkran 2013: 321 deaths, 3,040 injuries and 2,828 accidents - 45 deaths per day

Songkran 2014: 322 deaths, 3,225 injuries and 2,992 accidents - 46 deaths per day

Songkran 2015: 364 deaths, 3,559 injuries and 3,373 accidents - 52 deaths per day

As others have mentioned, according to available figures from sources such as WHO, in 2013 there were an estimated 24,237 road accident deaths in 2013 - or 66 deaths per day.

The fact that the Seven Deadly Days of Songkran appear safer could be put down to several reasons:

a: they are safer and the authorities' efforts/messages might actually be getting through, or

b: the WHO estimated data is inflated so they're not actually safer, or

c: the WHO estimated data is accurate but the official toll is underreported, or

d: the WHO estimated data is deflated due to underreporting (deaths only counted at scene, etc.) and the Seven Deadly Days aren't actually so deadly (comparatively speaking) but they receive more publicity.

One wonders if they published a nightly death toll, would they realise that it's actually 365 Deadly Days.

Road 22 around Nong Mek they are enlarging the road to 4 lanes since February 2015, almost finished now. Just before Songkran they closed off the intersection so you can't turn right or left downtown Nong Mek. Coming from Udon you now need to continue 500m or some more and make a U-turn. Just incredible scenes this morning hitting the village. Cars finding a way to cross the 2x2 200m before the intersection, motorbikes trying to cross the intersection where it is clearly CLOSED and endangering the lives of everyone nearing the intersection AND motorbikes trying to cross the road within 200 from the intersection ANYWHERE, again endangering the lives of everyone.

When will they ever learn? Old 1960 song....

Where have all the flowers gone?

Where have all the flowers gone?

To funerals and decorations in conference rooms in posh resorts where they meet over "road safety strategies".

Farang can continue to talk about, bash their heads, but nothing is going to change because the government sees nothing wrong. Until the populace makes a huge noise and there is a massive ground swell against the carnage, then something might start happening. However, Thai families will continue to cry at the deaths, involve some Buddhist beliefs and move on.

Don't forget if they make it to Hospital a pass away there, apparently the individual is not added to the total RTA death statistics....last I heard

I'm glad you brought this up...last time I asked if someone had an oroginal source for this ''fact'' that is stated on TV every time road fatality counts come up, but alas, all.was quiet from the TV armchair experts. Let's hope someone can reply this time. Let me guess, last you heard it was on this forum. ;)

How do the number compare to New Year, Chinese New Year, and every other week on

the calendar. The yearly numbers for Thailand are truly staggering. Not sure there is much

of a difference from week to week. whistling.gif

Please read headlines this is Thailand not your land. You visit here or live here on extensions you can not vote you can not make laws or change laws. Thai authority let's you stay some are married some are bar/girl hopers all of you are guests. Stop worrying about what Thai's do and do what you came here to do enjoy yourself for goodness sake I have never seen or read so much anti Thai comments as this forum gives maybe should be called Thai haters forum or We want to change everything in Thailand forum.

High speeds, drunk driving and lightly-enforced road laws are behind the shocking number of traffic-related fatalities in Thailand. Chiang Mai City News reports that alcohol is a factor in up to 80% of accidents and 25% of deaths on the roads.

Please read headlines this is Thailand not your land. You visit here or live here on extensions you can not vote you can not make laws or change laws. Thai authority let's you stay some are married some are bar/girl hopers all of you are guests. Stop worrying about what Thai's do and do what you came here to do enjoy yourself for goodness sake I have never seen or read so much anti Thai comments as this forum gives maybe should be called Thai haters forum or We want to change everything in Thailand forum.

It could be that some foreigners love Thailand more than many Thais do...and would like to see improvement in human life conditions...which would make Thailand a safer and more harmonious place to live...is there something wrong with this picture?

It could be that some foreigners love Thailand more than many Thais do...and would like to see improvement in human life conditions...which would make Thailand a safer and more harmonious place to live...is there something wrong with this picture?

Some foreigners love Thailand more than Thais silly statement to start. As for changing Thailand for the better like what USA/UK ha ha ha 55555 no thank you

Easy, easy and since 2007

Songkran 2007: 361 deaths, 4,805 injuries and 4,274 accidents

Songkran 2008: 368 deaths, 4,801 injuries and 4,243 accidents

Songkran 2009: 373 deaths, 4,332 injuries and 3,977 accidents

Songkran 2010: 361 deaths, 3,802 injuries and 3,516 accidents

Songkran 2011: 271 deaths, 3,476 injuries and 3,215 accidents

Songkran 2012: 320 deaths, 3,320 injuries and 3,129 accidents

Songkran 2013: 321 deaths, 3,040 injuries and 2,828 accidents

Songkran 2014: 322 deaths, 3,225 injuries and 2,992 accidents

Songkran 2015: 364 deaths, 3,559 injuries and 3,373 accidents

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2015/

Assuming the figures and not going into full stats analysis, this would mean that although the number of accidents in 2007 were greater than 2015, the percentage death rate to the number of accidents was higher in 2015.

post-247031-0-71435800-1460725664_thumb.

Although there would be many ways to interpret the results it is interesting to note that the average for the last three years, 10.68%, is around 18% higher than the average for the previous years,9.24%. It will interesting to see what the final figure for this year will in comparison.

Edited by TKDfella

Meanwhile, there are police at checkpoints right across the land staring at their phones wondering how this can happen. Again. crazy.gif

In 850 km driving on 13th, 14th and 15th April, day and night, I was stopped and checked exactly zero times. I probably passed 100 INACTIVE checkpoints

Look,let's just face it,the Thai's don't care,unless they are directly affected,then it's a 4 day funeral,and on to another life,the government make noises,but don't care,the Police don't care,so if no one cares,nothing will ever change,and it will never,because Kon Thai are the greatest people on Earth,so i have been told.

So is it not important to care about saving lifes ? Should we stop worrying about more road deaths ? It's our lives at stake here , both foreigners and Thais .

Or do you mean we should just "produce more children" if someone dies like an official person mentioned some time ago .....

Edited by balo

In 850 km driving on 13th, 14th and 15th April, day and night, I was stopped and checked exactly zero times. I probably passed 100 INACTIVE checkpoints

I was stopped twice yesterday but that was only because I passed the same checkpoint twice in one day. However, this is a common checkpoint throughout the last couple of months.The officer looked at the front windshield presumably to check for the tax sticker then waved me on. I think it's a speeding check also because I noticed vehicles that might have been over the limit that had whizzed by me earlier. I do have sympathy for the officers out there, temperature about 41C and I think that more officers should be there on a rota, changing every few minutes then under a canopy.

I seem to remember that the PM told the police to take care of the people over this period, seems neither the police nor the public took any notice, as usual.

I can only guess as to what part alcohol played in all this, you add to that Thai driving skills and its no surprise. Thais clearly cannot handle either and there seems no politcal will to change either of these. Until they take the bull by the horns and deal with these issues nothing will change, I will just keep off the roads until normal service has been resumed and thats bad enough.

So is it not important to care about saving lifes ? Should we stop worrying about more road deaths ? It's our lives at stake here , both foreigners and Thais .

Or do you mean we should just "produce more children" if someone dies like an official person mentioned some time ago .....

Save your breath, balo they just don't care! Yesterday, I was turning right on a green light at a major intersection with my Thai girlfriend, her mother and aunt as passengers. I was halfway across the road when a silver pickup truck jumped the red light. If I hand't stopped he would have slammed into us and the driver was certainly not a farang. I suppose by Jeob's standards I shouldn't be treating my intended and her family to a day out and it was my fault for being there. In fact I just listened to the PM on his Friday TV talk and even he said that they have to find a way to cut down the accidents. Jeob, no one is saying that it is easy but if there were tougher laws for those who break traffic rules (like a two or more years driving ban) then people would think twice about breaking traffic laws especially at holiday time.

Thailand's road fatality rate is 13 times higher than the UK, which has a similar-sized population. The country is soaked in blood. I am driving less and less until something is done. I want to die in a rocking chair not a road accident.

And the UK has a good deal more roads than Thailand. London at least 40% more tan bkk.

Take the percentage of motorbikes verses cars and the rates in the UK are probably similar.

It is important that farang stop all this thai negativity and stop trying to tell Thai what he/she should do. Not like simple solution you all know what it is