Reverse culture shock tips if you haven't lived in the U.S. for a really long time

whistling.gif Medication......on my last trip (2014) at least half the people i knew were taking domr kind of "medication" for dome kind of "problem" they supposedly had.

This ranged from "allegies" to "attention deficency disorder"

When did tis nonsense start.....where evwetbody has some medication they must take regularly....most of the time from what i think are imagined "disorders" they supposedly have?

rolleyes.gif Medication.

The last time i was back in the U.S it seems everyone was taking some kind of "medication" on a routine basis for what I think were imagined "problems" they claimed to have.

From allergies to inability to sleep.

And i am not talking about the elderly. I am taling about healthy people in their 30's.

If you have insurance, they are basically free. Too much medication.

I agree about food being expensive especially eating out. Even Chipotle is $9 for a burrito and a drink.

Less than 300B. About what you pay here for a quality burrito. Which we don't have! Sadly.
A Chipotle quality steak burrito here would be at least twice as much. Like you said, it doesn't exist here. I spend 300 baht for Mexican food at lunch here with a water. Mexican food in California is one good reason for me to go back.

rolleyes.gif Medication.

The last time i was back in the U.S it seems everyone was taking some kind of "medication" on a routine basis for what I think were imagined "problems" they claimed to have.

From allergies to inability to sleep.

And i am not talking about the elderly. I am taling about healthy people in their 30's.

Keeps the population sedated and docile ?

I agree about food being expensive especially eating out. Even Chipotle is $9 for a burrito and a drink.

Am I the only one who doesn't consider $10 for a meal "expensive"?
no
It was only $7 for the same thing when I left the US in 2010. Thats a big increase in 6 years. Thats a good 5% increase a year. Compare that to the 0-2% increase in social security.

That is just one example of many. Rents have gone up by more.

Edited by BKKSnowBird

no
It was only $7 for the same thing when I left the US in 2010. Thats a big increase in 6 years. Thats a good 5% increase a year. Compare that to the 0-2% increase in social security.

you are obviously not an economist.

no

Social Security wasn't designed or meant to support seniors quest for dining sprees at Chipotle or morning coffee at Starbucks. It is an income supplement or to provide a very basic income to its beneficiaries, who should be eating mostly at home, supplemented on occasion by the blue-plate special at the local diner down the street.

Face it, that noodle vendor down the street selling you a 30 baht bag of Kway Tee Ow is a much better bargain than Chipolte anyhow. smile.png

Health wise, I'd talk Chipolte any day...taste wise also. I'm done with 30 Baht noodles on the side of the road. But I'm lucky. My wife makes great noodle soup with top notch and fresh ingredients. And washes the dishes properly. LOL

• Like 1

In the U.S. for cheap and great food, I love Mexican dives where Mexicans go and no English is spoken ... usually it's more about tacos than burritos.

The drive thru must be tough to navigate for some smile.png

Yeah - the steering wheel is on the other side of the vehicle. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Taco Bell? Don't be trippin'. That's gross.

Anyway the driving is actually a real concern for me.

I haven't driven in about 12 years!

Is it something you forget to do?

Driving is really like riding a bike!

I'm almost at the end of a road trip; Los Angeles-San Diego-Rapid City SD-San Francisco, with various stops in between.

The only thing you may forget is the fact that in general people obey the rules, drive on the 'correct' side of the road, stop at lights etc etc, And you (well I did), have to adjust to the fact I wasn't constantly expecting someone to to something stupid. Stupid is the exception rather than the rule, reverse opposite of Thailand.

Oh, remember Cops? Yeah they do actually exist here and not not just at some checkpoint. They actually do patrol highways So in Thailand where you breeze by a cop at whatever speed, try to remember not to do that when you get home!

Taco Bell? Don't be trippin'. That's gross.

Anyway the driving is actually a real concern for me.

I haven't driven in about 12 years!

Is it something you forget to do?

Driving is really like riding a bike!

I'm almost at the end of a road trip; Los Angeles-San Diego-Rapid City SD-San Francisco, with various stops in between.

The only thing you may forget is the fact that in general people obey the rules, drive on the 'correct' side of the road, stop at lights etc etc, And you (well I did), have to adjust to the fact I wasn't constantly expecting someone to to something stupid. Stupid is the exception rather than the rule, reverse opposite of Thailand.

Oh, remember Cops? Yeah they do actually exist here and not not just at some checkpoint. They actually do patrol highways So in Thailand where you breeze by a cop at whatever speed, try to remember not to do that when you get home!

One of my favorite aspects of living in Thailand...the relaxed attitude of the city police and highway patrol. Makes for very relaxed driving trips.

JT, do you still have a drivers license?

I've always maintained that just for residency and emergency purposes.

It sounds like you have let everything lapse, in which case you're going to be doing a driving test no matter what to get a new license in whatever state you end up in

It sounds like you have let everything lapse, in which case you're going to be doing a driving test no matter what to get a new license in whatever state you end up in

Still do. That's a complicated topic for me.

Complicated how? Pretty easy to maintain, just requires being in the US every 5 years Edited by GinBoy2

Complicated how? Pretty easy to maintain, just requires being in the US every 5 years
Maybe a DUI history or outstanding traffic warrants.

Complicated how? Pretty easy to maintain, just requires being in the US every 5 years
Depends on your state. In my state you need to formally declare you're a state resident at renewal time.

Depends on your state. In my state you need to formally declare you're a state resident at renewal time.

That's why i became a South Dakotan. 1 night in a hotel every five years is all that the state requires, and it has a zero State tax. Allows me to register cars, drivers license, vote without any worry.

As a side note, although the winters are brutal the Black Hills of SD are seriously beautiful, and it really is a low cost environment. As a Californian, I shocked myself that I actually love the place, and if I do ever need to return full time, Hot Springs SD is gonna be my home

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1