6 months as a tourist in Thai, best alternativs?

Hello,

This will be the first time in over 10 years that I along with the family will be "forced" to plan a little differently about our stay in Thailand as we previously worked and thus had work permits. Now we live in another country and need to plan around our upcoming half year break that will be between October 2 -16 and March 30 -17. Now it is a little while until the start of the journey and I am well aware that the rules and regulations suddenly can be changed, but if we assume from the options available today, I hope for som (legal, ie excluding overstay alternatives) tips.

Back in the "good old days", one had applied for a double-entry tourist visa and it would have been packed and ready. But this, of course, as we all know, has been replaced by the so-called multiple-entry tourist visa; which at first glance sounds perfect but unfortunately completely goes away at the 6th point "An Employment Certificate in English from an employer mentioning the Applicant's job position, salary, the purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date When The Applicant is expected to return to work. For self-employed, please submit business license or business registration Indicating the Applicant's name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status in English from the school, college, or university. " This is not something we can come up with, period!

Our hastily proposed plan looks like the following:

- Entry in Thailand on October 2 with a single-entry tourist visa where the 30-day extension will be utilized

- Departure on the 29th of December (after 89 days stay) to Singapore.

- Furthermore, Singapore January 2 to Penang where a new single-entry tourist visa is applied.

- Return to Thailand from Penang January 5.

Answers to any questions to the above itinerary:

Why do not you apply for the tourist visa in Singapore?

Two reasons. Our visit is surrounded around the New Year (Embassy closed) and, according to the embassy's website you should count on 5-10 day turnaround which is not really economically viable in Singapore.

KL then, why go you not only get there on the way "home" and apply for a visa there?

This was our first plan as we lived there for two years and know our way around, but when the embassy in KL's website states "applicant from any of the Listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia" and countless negative reports from this website this becomes a red flag.

So now to my questions for you:

- Has anyone recently been to the consulate in Penang? Is it straight forward? Have read that you generally do this via agents and that one self does not need to visit the consulate in person, is that right?

- Is there anyone who applied for the new multiple-entry tourist visa (from the embassy in Stockholm)? Are they strict on the 6th point, or do they allow you to "compensate" for it by showing more money in an account eg. SEK 500,000?

- Does anyone have a better plan for the above itinerary? If so, that will be of highest interest!

Thanks in advance

KIO

PS. Yes, I know about Thai Elite, but then we are three travelers I feel it is unfortunately not a very economical alternative.

• Like 1

If your nationality bars you from obtaining a visa in KL the same problem is likely to arise at all other Thai Embassy's/Consulates in the region.

Perhaps you could state which nations passport you hold ?

Sweden

Cheers

It seems you already have a good plan.

Penang will not be a problem to get the visa. Just use an agent and relax while you are there. No need to go to the consulate.

OK, thanks. I've seen a couple of threads here that recommends specific agents... will read up when it gets closer to the action. Any idea why one can't get tourist visas in KL any more?

KIO

Penang will not be a problem to get the visa. Just use an agent and relax while you are there. No need to go to the consulate.

OK, thanks. I've seen a couple of threads here that recommends specific agents... will read up when it gets closer to the action. Any idea why one can't get tourist visas in KL any more?

KIO

They have put requirements in place that makes it appear they only want to issue tourist visas to Malaysians. I think they just don't want the workload.

If your nationality bars you from obtaining a visa in KL the same problem is likely to arise at all other Thai Embassy's/Consulates in the region.

Sweden

Cheers

Thanks This then "Listed countries must have Permanent Residence " has no relevance to any application you might make and your plan is feasible.

KL is not the only "difficult" Embassy/Consulate.

KIO

They have put requirements in place that makes it appear they only want to issue tourist visas to Malaysians. I think they just don't want the workload.

Thank you very much for your input and what a shame ey, KL used to be a very straight forward place going to... remember both me and my wife used the Thai embassy there regurlarly back in "the day".

KIO

Sweden

Cheers

Thanks This then "Listed countries must have Permanent Residence " has no relevance to any application you might make and your plan is feasible.

KL is not the only "difficult" Embassy/Consulate.

Oh, ok, I understand what you mean... I missenterpeted the "rules" then. And yes, I have understood there are many Embassys/Consulates that seem to be having a more strict way of granting tourist visas theese days. Oh, if one only was married to a Thai and not a Swede laugh.png .

KIO

Your plan is excellent.

Thank you for your comment. Worth noting is that when we arrive Penang, all 3 of us will have ONE usen Single Entry Tourist Visa, but from what I've read in other threads that does not mean anything negative when applying for a new one in Penang. Right?

KIO

Your plan is excellent.

Thank you for your comment. Worth noting is that when we arrive Penang, all 3 of us will have ONE usen Single Entry Tourist Visa, but from what I've read in other threads that does not mean anything negative when applying for a new one in Penang. Right?

KIO

Absolutely no problem at all unless you have several SETVs already from Penang specifically.

A decent hotel to consider in Penang is Chulia Mansion. They will ask a good agent to come by if you ask them.

Your plan is excellent.

KIO

Absolutely no problem at all unless you have several SETVs already from Penang specifically.

A decent hotel to consider in Penang is Chulia Mansion. They will ask a good agent to come by if you ask them.

Many thanks for the input, and our SETV will be from Stockholm, Sweden. Thanks for the hotel tip; faboulus rating on Booking.com... added it to my favorites there!

Cheers

KIO

I would suggest to people considering booking a long holiday that they only come to Thailand for a maximum of 90 days on a single entry tourist visa, extend it once for 30 days and then leave.

The government are making people jump through hoops to stay any longer than this, this means they don't want you to stay longer.

There are ways around it but why jump through hoops, better to go somewhere that you're welcome.

I would suggest to people considering booking a long holiday that they only come to Thailand for a maximum of 90 days on a single entry tourist visa, extend it once for 30 days and then leave.

The government are making people jump through hoops to stay any longer than this, this means they don't want you to stay longer.

There are ways around it but why jump through hoops, better to go somewhere that you're welcome.

I am willing agreeing with you on this to a certan extent. In our specific case, this is not an option as our main purpose of the lenghty stay is visiting my elderly father who does not leave Thailand, period! I want my child spending some quality time with him before his time is here and at the same time being able putting him in a good school for the full duriation of our stay.

Had my father not been in the picture and it being only me and my wife travelling, we would have choosen other alternatives.

KIO

• Like 1

Single entry tourist visa allows 60 days permission of stay and can be extended once for another 30 days for 1,900 baht. I know you meant it like that, just don't want the OP to misunderstand it as 90+30. Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I got my last Tourist visa in Penang with an agent, I used Jim of Jim,s Place on Chulia Street , dropped off my passport and photos, signed the application form on the Wednesday afternoon when I arrived and collected the new visa on Friday afternoon. Very easy.