SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

Latest figures show net migration rising, mainly due to a decrease in the numbers leaving the UK.

The question is, would net migration reduce if the government abandoned the frozen pension policy?

Now that's a thought!

Yes, a thought that no one wants to think about, it would mean that migration figures are not confined to the issue of the EU.

I grew up in the north of Scotland during the fifties and the town where I lived had a fairly large Polish community. There had been a camp nearby during the war and many had stayed put after the war, integrating into the local community.

Now, according to the likes of Nigel Farage, their offspring and anyone else with a Polish name is perceived as being nothing more than a parasite on the UK welfare system.

"The first Polish troops reach Scotland on 5 August 1940 with a concurrent Anglo-Polish Military Agreement regulating the conditions of Polish Military Service in the UK. Scotland was completely unprotected against invasion and under real threat of German attacks, and the newly-arrived Poles were warmly welcomed. They immediately set to work defending Scotland. There was, however, no military infrastructure to accommodate them and they were left in our inhospitable climate, largely to their own devices, to live in tents, build their own camps, patrol the coastline and build coastal defences. These Polish Service men and women made a lasting impression in Scotland during those early years. They could be seen in Cupar, Leven, Milnathort,Auchtermuchty, Crawford, Biggar, Douglas, Duns, Kelso, Forres, Perth, Tayport, Lossiemouth, Arbroath, Forfar, and Carnoustie. There were Polish Schools of Engineering, a Polish Staff College, a Polish Record Office and a Polish Parachute Training School."

http://www.makers.org.uk/place/PolishInScotland2WW

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something for the Brexiteers!

Net migration last year was about 330,000. Second highest ever

Now, this is something that worries me and is in the other side of my balance. We're getting too crowded.

Now don't misunderstand, I agree with free movement in the EU. I also agree that we need appropriate migration from outside.

But we need to clamp down on bringing relatives of overseas migrants and do something to make life less comfortable for Muslims

Go ahead, call me an islamophobe! Thing is, I do not fear Muslims but I do despise their social mores and customs. I gave a long list previously of the reasons.

Numbers are only going to increase if Remain win the day.

Economic migrants mainly from sub Sahara Africa are still coming. In fact people smugglers and invaders are being encouraged by Naval ships picking them up and transporting them to Europe.

Only today Cameron announced that more Royal Navy ships will be sent to the Med, not to intercept them and return them though, he says purpose is to look for weapons!

All you truckers out their..wave good-bye to continental work as Britain's trade with Europe slides away. bye-bye Eddie Stobbart

All you car workers - the only reason that Japanese manufacturers have plants in UK is so they have a foothold in the EU to avoid the restrictions on imports of vehicles from outside the EU. just like Thailand where thanks to the current admin investment is down by 81%, so the Uk will suffer the same as manu multi-nationals lose interest in investing in a country that doesn't have the benefits of being inside the EU.

...and while you're at it say good-bye to London as one of the top financial centres in the world - that accolade will finally go to Germany

What about the plague. The earthquake,resulting in the UK sinking into the Atlantic,surely you can make up some more scare stories. Pathetic!!

Dumb move by Salmond saying the jocks will go for another independence vote if Leave prevails. What'll happen now is, more jocks will likely vote Leave since they'll have a proper crack at going on their own. Love it! 2016/2018 could potentially be great years for The England. [emoji6]

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1464311835.525902.jpg

in the Union.

We reject the inherent inequality of the UK but we see the advantages of remaining in a reformed EU where our voices are equal and our interests are not considered as an afterthought by those in power. Simple, really.

Well there's a thought, if the UK does leave this corrupt so called European Unionpost-78707-14643362815799_thumb.jpg. And Scotland rejoins the EU on the EU terms, will they be as well of as now.

Dumb move by Salmond saying the jocks will go for another independence vote if Leave prevails. What'll happen now is, more jocks will likely vote Leave since they'll have a proper crack at going on their own. Love it! 2016/2018 could potentially be great years for The England. [emoji6]

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1464311835.525902.jpg

in the Union.

We reject the inherent inequality of the UK but we see the advantages of remaining in a reformed EU where our voices are equal and our interests are not considered as an afterthought by those in power. Simple, really.

After 40+ plus years in the EU our nations voice ain't been heard, why should it change now, we just carry on ploughing dosh in to support others..They do NOT want to listen to our stuff, just we keep paying..

The UK is in a shit state being taken over by foreign folk, which includes a zillion spongers and folk who work for peanuts cos it is better than where they come from. Our tradesmen are being left out in the cold cos the UK gov cannot control anything because staff reduction...

Personally, I'm glad that the EU hasn't listened to the UK - who only opine when it affects the wealthy...

But I agree with your point about ploughing in dosh - although from my POV to a corrupt 'organisation' that wastes one hell of a lot of money.

I also agree about the immigrants that work for peanuts - resulting in lower wages for those at the bottom end. The 'net' effect may not affect the Treasury, but it prices unskilled Brit. workers out of jobs.

But perhaps we should pursue a 'race to the bottom' for poor and unskilled Brits.?

Edit - I blame the Brit. govt. far more than I blame the EU for this.

in the Union.

After 40+ plus years in the EU our nations voice ain't been heard, why should it change now, we just carry on ploughing dosh in to support others..They do NOT want to listen to our stuff, just we keep paying..

The UK is in a shit state being taken over by foreign folk, which includes a zillion spongers and folk who work for peanuts cos it is better than where they come from. Our tradesmen are being left out in the cold cos the UK gov cannot control anything because staff reduction...

Personally, I'm glad that the EU hasn't listened to the UK - who only opine when it affects the wealthy...

But I agree with your point about ploughing in dosh - although from my POV to a corrupt 'organisation' that wastes one hell of a lot of money.

I also agree about the immigrants that work for peanuts - resulting in lower wages for those at the bottom end. The 'net' effect may not affect the Treasury, but it prices unskilled Brit. workers out of jobs.

But perhaps we should pursue a 'race to the bottom' for poor and unskilled Brits.?

Sorry but I can't agree with that. If there are unskilled Brits who are poor, with the exception of a few classes or groups of people, it is their own fault and they haven't tried hard enough. Off all the advanced western countries the UK offers its young people more opportunities than most; there's a myriad of ways to get training, get an education, become skilled/semi skilled and/or start a business, the problem is that it's too easy to sit back and collect government money and/or have earnings aspirations at an early age that are unrealistic. Why is it that so many UK employers prefer to hire immigrants? It's because they are willing to work hard for realistic wages and to be rewarded with progression and higher salaries based on performance, that and the fact that show up for work every day.

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe

in the Union.

Well there's a thought, if the UK does leave this corrupt so called European Unionattachicon.gif . And Scotland rejoins the EU on the EU terms, will they be as well of as now.

How can anyone know? There are several financial positives though - no ties to trident, no requirement to contribute to England's HS2, no punishing the poor for the thievery of the rich etc.

A question for you - why the repeated reliance on Facebook memes bereft of context?

Latest figures show net migration rising, mainly due to a decrease in the numbers leaving the UK.

The question is, would net migration reduce if the government abandoned the frozen pension policy?

Now that's a thought!

Yes, a thought that no one wants to think about, it would mean that migration figures are not confined to the issue of the EU.

I grew up in the north of Scotland during the fifties and the town where I lived had a fairly large Polish community. There had been a camp nearby during the war and many had stayed put after the war, integrating into the local community.

Now, according to the likes of Nigel Farage, their offspring and anyone else with a Polish name is perceived as being nothing more than a parasite on the UK welfare system.

"The first Polish troops reach Scotland on 5 August 1940 with a concurrent Anglo-Polish Military Agreement regulating the conditions of Polish Military Service in the UK. Scotland was completely unprotected against invasion and under real threat of German attacks, and the newly-arrived Poles were warmly welcomed. They immediately set to work defending Scotland. There was, however, no military infrastructure to accommodate them and they were left in our inhospitable climate, largely to their own devices, to live in tents, build their own camps, patrol the coastline and build coastal defences. These Polish Service men and women made a lasting impression in Scotland during those early years. They could be seen in Cupar, Leven, Milnathort,Auchtermuchty, Crawford, Biggar, Douglas, Duns, Kelso, Forres, Perth, Tayport, Lossiemouth, Arbroath, Forfar, and Carnoustie. There were Polish Schools of Engineering, a Polish Staff College, a Polish Record Office and a Polish Parachute Training School."

Again all misleading stuff. When and where did Nigel Farage mention the OFFSPRINGS of those Polish soldiers ?

But you are correct on one point, they have integrated. Which is more than the intentions of many recent newcomers.

in the Union.

Sorry but I can't agree with that. If there are unskilled Brits who are poor, with the exception of a few classes or groups of people, it is their own fault and they haven't tried hard enough. Off all the advanced western countries the UK offers its young people more opportunities than most; there's a myriad of ways to get training, get an education, become skilled/semi skilled and/or start a business, the problem is that it's too easy to sit back and collect government money and/or have earnings aspirations at an early age that are unrealistic. Why is it that so many UK employers prefer to hire immigrants? It's because they are willing to work hard for realistic wages and to be rewarded with progression and higher salaries based on performance, that and the fact that show up for work every day.

So says someone who comes from a more privileged background.
Again I'm alright Jack.

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe

in the Union.

Well there's a thought, if the UK does leave this corrupt so called European Unionattachicon.gif . And Scotland rejoins the EU on the EU terms, will they be as well of as now.

How can anyone know? There are several financial positives though - no ties to trident, no requirement to contribute to England's HS2, no punishing the poor for the thievery of the rich etc.

A question for you - why the repeated reliance on Facebook memes bereft of context?

A picture can say a thousand words. And if the truth hurts "Hard Luck".

Poor, unskilled immigrants don't work for realistic wages - or at least not realistic wages for those who have to live in the UK (i.e. were born there and being poor and unskilled, have little chance of leaving).

I understand where you're coming from as it came as a bit of a shock when I took a job in a school (in a deprived area). The majority of kids there were only destined for a poor life, and were also unpleasant as a result of their background and environment.

But I also saw the way previously relatively well-paid jobs with good pensions disappeared as those employees took early retirement - on (the still existent) good pensions - to be replaced by (mostly) kids with no experience. Hence the decline in customer service.

Sorry - off topic, so I go back to realistic wages for Brits with no skills that have to spend their lives in Britain.

Again I'm alright Jack.

I don't know why you think I came from a privileged background, I went to a Secondary Modern, had my first job at 17, working down the mill, a job my dad got for me and it lasted five weeks before I quit. Answered an ad in the local paper for a trainee computer operator in Heckmondwyke and worked night shift for three years, I found a better paying job in London so I moved there. Later, on my own initiative, I found (and paid) my own way to the US and arrived with 110 quid in my pocket. I worked/paid my own way through University, and so on and so on. There's nothing privileged about this boys background but there's a lot of hard work and risk taking there and I've never ever collected one single penny in money from the state.

I know plasterers, bricklayers in the UK that have bought houses, mortgages, bringing up UK kids to be trounced by EU folk who will work for peanuts, but better than they had in their own country..

UK, get your country back.....

I agree 100% with the first para. - but the Brit. govt will probably be even worse towards the poor and deprived.

Again I'm alright Jack.

I don't know why you think I came from a privileged background, I went to a Secondary Modern, had my first job at 17, working down the mill, a job my dad got for me and it lasted five weeks before I quit. Answered an ad in the local paper for a trainee computer operator in Heckmondwyke and worked night shift for three years, I found a better paying job in London so I moved there. Later, on my own initiative, I found (and paid) my own way to the US and arrived with 110 quid in my pocket. I worked/paid my own way through University, and so on and so on. There's nothing privileged about this boys background but there's a lot of hard work and risk taking there and I've never ever collected one single penny in money from the state.

Fair enough.

You've worked v hard and have lost sympathy for those who don't have the same determination?

Again I'm alright Jack.

But times have changed...EU folk are walking into the UK working for shit money and taking natives income....No taxes, no NI, nufink, because the fines imposed on employing firms if they are caught are nothing...Our country is being given away.

Sort of like the same thing that I did when I moved to live in the US, working for peanuts?

in the Union.

A picture can say a thousand words. And if the truth hurts "Hard Luck".

It can, but in this case, it doesn't. I don't recall Sturgeon being mentioned in the Panama Papers. Should she not be allowed to receive a salary? Without a doubt the SNP are an anti austerity party - it is Westminster that is keeping the food banks busy.

Again I'm alright Jack.

Maybe I got it wrong. However you did imply earlier that your dad worked with the father of another TV member. He then came back and accused you of exaggeration,as his father actually worked for your father. Anyhow credit to you for making your own way in life. Unfortunately many do not even have that opportunity.

All you truckers out their..wave good-bye to continental work as Britain's trade with Europe slides away. bye-bye Eddie Stobbart

All you car workers - the only reason that Japanese manufacturers have plants in UK is so they have a foothold in the EU to avoid the restrictions on imports of vehicles from outside the EU. just like Thailand where thanks to the current admin investment is down by 81%, so the Uk will suffer the same as manu multi-nationals lose interest in investing in a country that doesn't have the benefits of being inside the EU.

...and while you're at it say good-bye to London as one of the top financial centres in the world - that accolade will finally go to Germany

What about the plague. The earthquake,resulting in the UK sinking into the Atlantic,surely you can make up some more scare stories. Pathetic!!

i notice a trend - say anything a Brexiteer doesn't like and the cliche "scaremonger" or one of it's variants is rolled out.

I think by this stage in the event it is unlikely we'll actually hear any reasoned argument from that camp - so at least I take comfort in the knowledge that the point has been read and they find it so "scary" that like an ostrich they immediately go into denial.

Again I'm alright Jack.

Maybe I got it wrong. However you did imply earlier that your dad worked with the father of another TV member. He then came back and accused you of exaggeration,as his father actually worked for your father. Anyhow credit to you for making your own way in life. Unfortunately many do not even have that opportunity.

Jeeze fella but you've just plumbed a new low, talk about grasping at straws!

Why the need to personalise this? The issue is Brexit/Remain, not my dad's business or how many people did or didn't work for him!

You can take it as gospel that my family played ZERO of a role financially, contact wise, directionally or in any other way, in my career from age 17. What they did do was to say, get on with it, do what you need to do, with our love and if it all falls apart there's room for you back here, if and when you need it.

That's the end of any further discussion on this subject.

Now that's a thought!

I also grew up in a small town in the North of Scotland where Free Polish forces were camped.

Many of the local men went to fight in France with the 51St Highland division, my grandfather amongst them.

They would be turning in their graves now if they knew how the traitorous politicians are so willing to hand over total control of their country to some anti democratic, elitist beaurocrats based in Brussels.

They were fighting for freedom trying to defeat tyranny., please don't let their sacrifice be in vain by pandering to new tyrants.

So the main issues in this referendum is sovereignty and democracy.

Choice is simple, have your own democratic government that can be voted out or be stuck with an unelected one which you can't remove. Immigration numbers and all the other issues will be resolved after Brexit.

Now that's a thought!

I also grew up in a small town in the North of Scotland where Free Polish forces were camped.

Many of the local men went to fight in France with the 51St Highland division, my grandfather amongst them.

They would be turning in their graves now if they knew how the traitorous politicians are so willing to hand over total control of their country to some anti democratic, elitist beaurocrats based in Brussels.

They were fighting for freedom trying to defeat tyranny., please don't let their sacrifice be in vain by pandering to new tyrants.

Choice is simple, have your own democratic government that can be voted out or be stuck with an unelected one which you can't remove. Immigration numbers and all the other issues will be resolved after Brexit.

I have to agree with Stag4. All of the nonsense spewing forth about the United Kingdom influencing changes and direction from within the EU is simply pie in the sky. If the UK's recent history of voting is any guide, there is no chance of any internal influencing in a positive way. Perhaps a negative influence is an option, in vetoing other motions with which it disapproves, but not much else.

I see salvation for the UK, should it be able to exit from the European Union, in subsequently being able to re-set and re-establish its own sensible rules for trade, immigration, foreign policy/ international relations, jurisprudence and a fair domestic agenda for all its citizens. IMV, this will absolutely be the correct way forward.

Now that's a thought!

No, the main issues in this referendum are immigration and sovereignty, aka nostalgia.

Perhaps if people would have bothered to vote in the first place, over many many years, there wouldn't be a need to bleat now about how things might have been and ask now, can we please return to how things were, (even though they don't live there any longer). If that scenario isn't confusing I don't know what is.

The Times, The Telegraph and the Mail all reporting on the new E.U. army. (Though this was reported on Breitbart a couple of months ago, the mainstream press seem to be just getting onto it).

The details to be kept under wraps until after the referendum - I wonder why they would do that?

So, all our armed service men and women who swear allegiance to the Queen and countrey would all have to break those vows? What about the S.A.S. - the best in the world at what they do? When they come under E.U. rule how good will they be then?

I notice too that Germany seems to be one of the countries striving to get this E.U. army set up.

I wonder what language will be spoken?

Yet another nail in the coffin of Britain - what once was a great country. I will vote OUT.

Again I'm alright Jack.

But times have changed...EU folk are walking into the UK working for shit money and taking natives income....No taxes, no NI, nufink, because the fines imposed on employing firms if they are caught are nothing...Our country is being given away.

Transam The majority of EU citizens have the right to work and reside in any member country. They will be paying taxes and ni that are due. The penalty for employing illegal immigrant workers is 20,000 per illegal.

Archived