Motorbike Stolen or Moved?

haymanpl

I parked my motorbike on Thanon Ratuthit Songroipi Rd, Patong, 1 block down from Jungceylon shopping mall at 2.30 am and when i came back around 6am, it had gone. Would someone have moved it for some reason or would it more likely be stolen?

post-234932-0-02291500-1460813295_thumb.

Where this red "bus" (how is it called in Phuket) stands there is some washed out red/white (I checked it on S.V.).

The whole area is a minefield of red/white.

Maybe you have overlooked?

A visit to the police station is suggested anyway.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you know precise where you parked it, I would say stolen.

A few years ago I lost a brand new Mio same way in Patong.

Only time though 20 years here and countless bikes between my hands.

Went to police station with book and superintendent called on the radio for bib on the ground to look out for it - If they found it it properly went into service as a bib cycle after that ?

I use a cheap sim card GSM tracker hidden in / on my bike. They don't stop the bike from being stolen, but increase the chances of recovery.

Here's an example of one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SPY-Vehicle-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Car-Vehicle-Tracking-Locator-Device-TK102B-/331670055170?hash=item4d39136902:g:7ZMAAOSwVL1WC8tA

596 from lazada http://www.lazada.co.th/new-mini-gps-gprs-gsm-tracker-car-vehicle-sms-real-time-network-monitor-tracking-intl-5384007.html

But shipped from outside Thailand ..

I use a cheap sim card GSM tracker hidden in / on my bike. They don't stop the bike from being stolen, but increase the chances of recovery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SPY-Vehicle-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Car-Vehicle-Tracking-Locator-Device-TK102B-/331670055170?hash=item4d39136902:g:7ZMAAOSwVL1WC8tA

596 from lazada http://www.lazada.co.th/new-mini-gps-gprs-gsm-tracker-car-vehicle-sms-real-time-network-monitor-tracking-intl-5384007.html

There are many different types. I only picked this one from Ebay as an example.

I had mine bought over for me. If I owned a big bike, I would get a proper unit, but for a scooter, one of these cheap DIY units offer a much better chance of recovery, if you can get to the bike before they discover the tracker.

I like the function where you can set a perimeter (geo-fencing) on the unit, so if the bike leaves that perimeter, you receive a notification on your phone, so you know when your bike is being moved / stolen.

A simple "kill switch" is also easy to install and cheap.

Edited by NamKangMan

There is (was) an I-spy shop in MBK....about 8 years or so ago I wandered in with a friend---he was looking for a Mobile phone damper--(these larger ones are used in Oz at the cinema etc) he wanted just a smaller one that would give him some peace & quite in the van he was about to be sharing from BKKK to Chaing Mai with 9 people. These mobile phones jammers (the small ones jam everything for around 15 ft.

I was looking at all the other spy stuff there ---like the little gadget that see's into rooms by reversing the spyhole on the door & the pens that you put in your top shirt pocket so it records and films the entire conversation---etc...when I came across the GPS jammers...this was way before those things you are talking about were on the market...so was asking the sales guy------why would I want to jam my GPS, it tells me where I am .

So many blank looks (with people probably thinking what a thicky....) ..my friend explained to me outside that all high end cars --Merc's etc) have a hidden GPS usually in the bodywork.

If you know precise where you parked it, I would say stolen.

A few years ago I lost a brand new Mio same way in Patong.

Only time though 20 years here and countless bikes between my hands.

Went to police station with book and superintendent called on the radio for bib on the ground to look out for it - If they found it it properly went into service as a bib cycle after that ?

I know a guy who had one of his bikes stolen, and his story started similar to yours.

However, after a few weeks, he saw his bike ... wait for it ... parked at the police box not far from his condo, and also not far from where it was stolen. Like less than 150 meters from both locations.

He approached the police and produced the police report, there were laughs and, he left with the bike.

At Trink said ... 'nuff said'

I just bought 2 of them for our cars. See how it works when they arrive in a few days.

If it is a Honda MSX, PCX, or Kawasaki KSR it is definitely stolen. If it is a Click, Mio, Fino

type, it may have been moved but probably stolen. My friend had his stolen in Patong. The

police did not want to even make a police report. They said it was stolen and no chance of

recovery. No insurance or anything. My guess is they did not want it as part of any statistics.

If it was in the way of tuk tuk mafia parking they may have moved it. Ask them and offer a

small reward, maybe 5-7 k or whatever you are comfortable paying.

When out late in Patong in the past, I always park at the beach near the police station or

at the Jungceylon scooter parking on the south side of the building. Never had a problem.

Best of luck in your search.

I just bought 2 of them for our cars. See how it works when they arrive in a few days.

Are you going to tell the missus your bought them? biggrin.png

There is (was) an I-spy shop in MBK....about 8 years or so ago I wandered in with a friend---he was looking for a Mobile phone damper--(these larger ones are used in Oz at the cinema etc) he wanted just a smaller one that would give him some peace & quite in the van he was about to be sharing from BKKK to Chaing Mai with 9 people. These mobile phones jammers (the small ones jam everything for around 15 ft.

I was looking at all the other spy stuff there ---like the little gadget that see's into rooms by reversing the spyhole on the door & the pens that you put in your top shirt pocket so it records and films the entire conversation---etc...when I came across the GPS jammers...this was way before those things you are talking about were on the market...so was asking the sales guy------why would I want to jam my GPS, it tells me where I am .

So many blank looks (with people probably thinking what a thicky....) ..my friend explained to me outside that all high end cars --Merc's etc) have a hidden GPS usually in the bodywork.

Jammers are usually illegal (not sure about the situation in Thailand but I'd guess it's the case here too) and can cause quite some problems. What if the bus/van has an accident and noone can dial emergency numbers? Cinemas might have tried these but probably are not currently because they are illegal and can net them some hefty fines and the presence of a jammer is easily detected.

It's incredibly selfish and dangerous to use a jammer. And you can't even properly limit their reach to an exact area. If someone wants a bit of quietness then I'd suggest earplugs.

I once forgot where I parked my bike and went to the police station where I found out it was impounded due to being parked in a non parking zone so you might be lucky.

I don't think you bike was stolen, my most likely guesses are:

1) The renter saw your bike and took off with it to get your Baht

2) The tuk tuk mafia moved it as they wanted "their" spot back (here in Pattaya they only give you a flat tire!)

3) You were indeed parking in a non parking zone and the police took your bike to the impound lot (prepare for 500 Baht fine plus 500 Baht towing fee)

You should check the area first, then check with the police and if all that doesn't help sneak around the renter's place.

If it is a Honda MSX, PCX, or Kawasaki KSR it is definitely stolen. If it is a Click, Mio, Fino

type, it may have been moved but probably stolen. My friend had his stolen in Patong. The

police did not want to even make a police report. They said it was stolen and no chance of

recovery. No insurance or anything. My guess is they did not want it as part of any statistics.

If it was in the way of tuk tuk mafia parking they may have moved it. Ask them and offer a

small reward, maybe 5-7 k or whatever you are comfortable paying.

When out late in Patong in the past, I always park at the beach near the police station or

at the Jungceylon scooter parking on the south side of the building. Never had a problem.

Best of luck in your search.

5-7k. Be careful that you don't get a new second hand motorbike right from next corner wink.png

But really, 1000 baht should be enough for those kind of services... 5-7k... lol. blink.png

Edited by Gutenberg

I had mine bought over for me. If I owned a big bike, I would get a proper unit, but for a scooter, one of these cheap DIY units offer a much better chance of recovery, if you can get to the bike before they discover the tracker.

I like the function where you can set a perimeter (geo-fencing) on the unit, so if the bike leaves that perimeter, you receive a notification on your phone, so you know when your bike is being moved / stolen.

I would be interested in installing some of these on my bikes. Any suggestions on where to put them or how to install them?

I would be interested in installing some of these on my bikes. Any suggestions on where to put them or how to install them?

I'm not going to say where I have concealed mine. There are some cavities and compartments on / in a motor scooter. Many are accessible by removing a screw, or two.

You can semi permanently attach them, and hard wire them to the battery, or you can have them accessible so a USB charging cable can be attached every couple of days. The USB charge cable can be from a power point or a battery bank. You charge them in the same way you charge a mobile phone. Cable ties or screws / bolts can be used to attach them.

If you want to easily remove them for charging, I suggest using a carabiner.

You must keep in mind that occasionally you have to remove the sim card and put it in a phone to either recharge the credit, or extend the credit validity, if using prepaid sim, so you really don't want to make it difficult to be able to remove the sim card.

Also, to my knowledge, they are not waterproof.

Edited by NamKangMan

Update

Thanks for all your posts:

I paid for insurance when i purchased the PCX last year so i've made a police report and planning on filing a claim.

Maybe it's still there somewhere, possibly moved but i doubt impounded as they would have contacted me.

The spot i parked it is exactly as shown in the image i uploaded which i don't think is an illegal spot to park but maybe the tuk tuk think they own the spot and moved it.