Tenderizing Thai beef?

Kenny202

put it in a meat dish with a pint of water.cover with foil and cook on a 150-160deg.for 4hrs.

Boiling/simmering a beef roast in water??? Is that a Brit thing??? biggrin.png

I'd imagine anything cooked in water for 4 hours is going to be pretty tender... What it is beyond tender, though, I'm not sure...

Marinate in some papaya juice....its a natural tenderiser....and helps the body digest the meat better.

Rather than papaya juice I slice up a whole ripe papaya and wrap the beef all around, wrap in plastic, then leave in the fridge for 48 hours.

Very tender steak afterwards.

Does the Papaya flavour the meat in a negative way?

Ripe... not green.

And there is no discernible flavouring to the steak. I do of course add my own herbs and other flavourings to the meat before cooking.

Give it a try... nothing to lose.

put it in a meat dish with a pint of water.cover with foil and cook on a 150-160deg.for 4hrs.

Boiling/simmering a beef roast in water??? Is that a Brit thing??? biggrin.png

I'd imagine anything cooked in water for 4 hours is going to be pretty tender... What it is beyond tender, though, I'm not sure...

trouble is TGJB i havent got many munchers left.laugh.png

Good point. I was just joshin' ya... tongue.png

But I do fondly remember my past trips to England and London many years back where some nice beef was laid out on my plate, all grey in color and looking like it had been boiled within an inch of its life...

So your post brought back some rather unpleasant culinary memories...

Ripe... not green.

And there is no discernible flavouring to the steak. I do of course add my own herbs and other flavourings to the meat before cooking.

I will for sure. Suitable for frying steak (fillet) as well as stewing?

Do you have a vacuum sealer? If so vacuum pack the beef and wet age it in the fridge for 14 days.

You should look up botulism. You are definitely running a risk of culturing it. That said, the toxin is very sensitive to heat so as long as you don't eat the meat rare you should be alright. Maybe. The reason salt peter is added to corned beef is to kill any botulism bacteria and inhibit any spores that might be present.

Here's a useful link. http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/vacpack0708.pdf

Edited by ilostmypassword

What I found worked great for me was to download and print off a butcher's beef diagram showing where the different cuts are. The one I found also had a handy picture of the cut as well. I then went to the local market and found a nice Thai Muslim butcher. This is the important bit as Muslims do not eat pork but love beef. I showed him the cuts I wanted and he told me to come back tomorrow. The result was I managed to get 5 very nice thick cut sirloin steaks for around 250 Baht and they melted in the mouth. I then used the same man for all my beef. Thais butcher their meat to suit the Thai taste and not the Farang taste but will if they know what you want. The same way as I had a lady for my chicken, a lady for my seafood and a nice man for my pork. Once they realise you use them and them alone you get a good deal.Or so I found any way. thumbsup.gif

Good point. I was just joshin' ya... tongue.png

But I do fondly remember my past trips to England and London many years back where some nice beef was laid out on my plate, all grey in color and looking like it had been boiled within an inch of its life...

So your post brought back some rather unpleasant culinary memories...

yes TB there is nothing i love more than a 12oz.slice of black beef sirlion,grilled till the fat is almost melted,and a joint roasted with the tatties soaking up the fat.

i do get some cracking meat from pon-yang-kham but its become a bit of a pain meeting the delivery wagon.

but we have got tops and terminal 21 coming shortly.

No one has said anything about boiling beef.

the pressure cooker has steam not water contacting the beef.

And oven baking with water in the bottom of the pan is standard practice as it provides a moister heat which stops the meat drying out too much in the early stages.

Ripe... not green.

Frying or grilling.

I've never tried stewing, although the missus has.

She uses plenty of beef stock and vegetables along with the meat and reduces it for hours... the meat just falls apart but it's a pretty rich stew.

Ripe... not green.

Frying or grilling.

I've never tried stewing, although the missus has.

She uses plenty of beef stock and vegetables along with the meat and reduces it for hours... the meat just falls apart but it's a pretty rich stew.

I've tried everything I can doing slow cook curries etc. Meat eventually softens but is pretty dry and stringy even with the meat fully submerged in liquid. I'm thinking I'm buying cuts that are too lean.

Pressure cookers are awesome for stews soups and curries